Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who don't know, we are getting a puppy in November. In order for us to prepare for her arrival, we have begun to make a list of things we need. So far, toys seem to dominate the list! But in reality, I'd like to put together a shopping list that I can take to Petsmart/Petco or where ever else, of all those "must have before she comes home" items. Obviously a food dish, crate, and water dish or bottle is on our list...however, I am looking for specific brand recommendations. What do you guys use that works well, and for that matter, what has been a waste of $$$? I would really appreciate the insight, as I can see myself going way overboard here...Thanks.

J

·
0 Posts
If you are going to use piddle pads buy now. I also purchased the frame for the piddle pads. This way the puppy won't be dragging the pad around. The first one I purchased you push the corners of the pad into it but it didn't work as well. I recommend buying the frame, even through it is more money.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
- Crate (I got a wire one from PetSmart; it is the Puppy Life Stage one $60; big enough to use when full grown)
- I would recommend using towels as a bed in the crate to start with (that way if they puppy has an accident it is easier to wash
-I like the PetSilk products (Mosturizing Shampoo, Mosturizing Rinse and Bright White Shampoo
- I would recommend getting toys at a petstore. I got some a Walmart and Lexi destroyed them the first time she played with them. Some of her favorite toys are pieces of fleece that I cut into 2" by 6" strips and then tied a knot in the middle of. They are cheap and easy to make more of.
- Bitter Applie spray didn't really work that well for Lexi. I think she got used to the taste.
- I use a steel bowl that I got a PetSmart. Lexi does not like eating or drinking out of deep bowls so I ended up with a cat bowl. $6
- Get your leash and harness/collar at a pet store. I got a leash from walmart and it look like crap after a week. When they are little get a harness. You might have to buy a couple. Lexi REALLY didn't like the kind that I had to pull over her head. You might have to get a couple different styles to find on that works, exspecially if your puppy is really small.
- Get an ID tag for the harness/collar. Someone told me that you should put on it that your puppy needs Medicine. That way if someone steals your puppy or just finds it they are more likely to return it.
-I got my pet tote from Celltei. It is the Tote-o-Pet. I love it. It is $159. I love it. It is very well made and still looks brand new.
- PetCo and PetSmart have a lot of cute pet apparel.
- I agree with Nicole. Start with what your breeder uses (they will probably give you some food to take with you). You can gradually start to switch over. Try to do this over a 4-8 day period.
- My vet recommended a combination ear cleaner and drier. It is an all in one thing. It is great for after baths. He said they are all about the same. It is the all in one part that is important.
- I agree with Nicole that the toothbrush and toothpaste are import. Start young. I put toothpaste on the toothbrush and then rumb it into the bristles. I then give the toothbrush to Lexi and she chews on the bristles. She thinks it is a toy. She get the toothbrush out all the time to play with.
- Greenies
- I don't use rawhides. I'm too afraid of Lexi choking on them. If you do decide to give the puppy rawhides make sure they are made in the USA (will say so on the packaging). Also keep an eye on them to make sure the pieces don't get too small. When they do get small through them away.
- I recommend using a small metal comb. I found a mine (about 4" wide) at a local pet food store. I love it because it is easy to maneuver.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah, if you're getting wee wee pads---try checking ebay...its way cheaper there than at the store.

OH, i saw a toy that you can put a hot water bottle in it for your baby to sleep with (if he's not going to sleep in bed). never tried it, but maybe someone here has?

you know what you should do?? buy one of those puppy album books from petsmart. get pics of your baby and put it in there. get everything organized.

also have a folder of all the medical records. thats going to help A LOT.

but a leash hook to put near your door...so if you need to take the dog outside or if theres an emergency...you'll know where the leash is. i saw in a cataloge. maybe www.inthecompanyofdogs.com that they had this leash cabinet with a hook thing. so in the cabinet you can put stuff that your baby might need.

maybe a sports bag or something to put all the "grooming supplies". like you'll need the ear cleaner, toothbrush and toothpaste(i have a hello kitty toothbrush holder), scissors(its really helpful if they have hair in their eyes or when you have to cut butt hair or if something is stuck on them), combs, brushes, a shaver(i have a wahl designer that someone recommended...works great. i also have a wahl trimmer thats super good too, to get the feet hair). i think thats it.

good luck!!!! i hope you're totally excited!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 19 2004, 02:25 PM
maybe a sports bag or something to put all the "grooming supplies".  like you'll need the ear cleaner, toothbrush and toothpaste(i have a hello kitty toothbrush holder), scissors(its really helpful if they have hair in their eyes or when you have to cut butt hair or if something is stuck on them), combs, brushes, a shaver(i have a wahl designer that someone recommended...works great.  i also have a wahl trimmer thats super good too, to get the feet hair).  i think thats it. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12564
[/QUOTE]

I have been wanting to get this bag for all my grooming stuff.
Outward Hound Wide Mouth Gear Bag. It comes it 2 sizes and 5 colours.

If you decided to get the grooming yourself you will also need:
- small scissors with rounded tip
- shaver (Wahl Designer is great; You can get it at Sally's for $30-35)
- a smaller shaver (I have the Wahl Peanut, again Sally's on sale for $30-35)

If you are not going to do the grooming yourself you don't need the shavers. The scissors might come in handy at other times though. Also if you are going to keep the coat at less than 1/2" you can get the wahl peanut and not the wahl designer. The Wahl peanut blade guards go up to 1/2". The Wahl Designer's go up to 1".

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The most important thing..... enzyme spray for when they have "accidents". I buy one called Simple Solution by the gallon at Pet Smart. I also bought 4 bottles of the spray size... one for each room they might be in. I use a ton of that stuff.... when they have an "accident" just be sure to wipe it up and then spray with the enzyme stuff.. it will remove the odor and the stain......

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
As for as buying goodies for your puppy, you will do like we all have done....buy to much. Its a can't help it matter.

Just remember they get bigger. We have ended up with 3 pens, as Puddles got bigger he out grew them. If he out grows this one, he will need to diet.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Oh, just to let you know these guys can climb. So for your peace of mind if you get a excerise pen I would not recommend getting the smallest one. I think it is onlye 24" or 29" inches tall. Get the 36" or 48" one. That way you won't worry as much. When they are small it will seem huge but they will grow into it.

Same with the crate. Don't get a really small one because when they get older it will be cramped. I got the Puppy size Lifestyle crate and used something to block the back part and slowly gave Lexi more space.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Hi! I am really excited for you. We got our puppy last Thursday. She's 14 weeks old; actually will be 15 weeks tomorrow. We followed suggestions from our breeder about food, combs, shampoo, etc. The one thing that we got that I just love is the small animal playpen. A previous poster said to get a tall one right off the bat, so our puppy might outgrow this one, but I like that it has a waterproof bottom. I'll include a link at the bottom of this message. Anyway, it is so great to be able to plop the puppy in it when we are showering, getting ready, folding clothes, eating, or any of the times that we just can't give Sadie our undivided attention. It has meant that in one week she's only had one accident in the house when I took my eyes off of her for 10 seconds. I think these are a great invention and wish I'd had one when I got my last dog nearly 10 years ago. This puppy is really my daughters and she is at her apartment half the time and here half the time. The play pen is so great that I'm going to buy a 2nd one so she doesn't have to transport hers every time she comes over. We got the pkg deal for regular pen plus extra panels and mat.
http://www.ferretstore.com/theferretstore/smalancon.html
Good luck, Susan

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
msmagnolia: That is a great product! The water proof lining is a brillant idea.

Let me clarify what I meant about the tall x-pen. If you are planning on leaving the puppy in there while you are gone I would recommend getting one that is taller. If you are only going to use it when you are home but can't keep a close eye on the puppy then one that is short is fine.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh thanks Lexi's Mom, that makes me feel better. We leave Sadie in her crate when we are away from the house (never for more than 2 hours). We only use this pen when we are home. I hope it'll work for a long time because it really is great! I used to put our bichon in the kitchen with a baby gate but this pen gives less "stuff" for them to chew on or get into.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I wish they made those pens in bigger sizes. Lexi has to stay in her crate while I'm at work because the little $hit digs and chews on the wall and door frame. I'm afraid to put her in the kitchen because she will probably do the same there. I was thinking of getting an x-pen but she like to dig also. So I gave up on the idea.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Oct 20 2004, 02:33 PM
Hi!  I am really excited for you.  We got our puppy last Thursday.  She's 14 weeks old; actually will be 15 weeks tomorrow.  We followed suggestions from our breeder about food, combs, shampoo, etc.  The one thing that we got that I just love is the small animal playpen.  A previous poster said to get a tall one right off the bat, so our puppy might outgrow this one, but I like that it has a waterproof bottom.  I'll include a link at the bottom of this message.  Anyway, it is so great to be able to plop the puppy in it when we are showering, getting ready, folding clothes, eating, or any of the times that we just can't give Sadie our undivided attention.  It has meant that in one week she's only had one accident in the house when I took my eyes off of her for 10 seconds.  I think these are a great invention and wish I'd had one when I got my last dog nearly 10 years ago.  This puppy is really my daughters and she is at her apartment half the time and here half the time.  The play pen is so great that I'm going to buy a 2nd one so she doesn't have to transport hers every time she comes over.  We got the pkg deal for regular pen plus extra panels and mat.
http://www.ferretstore.com/theferretstore/smalancon.html
Good luck, Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12687
[/QUOTE]
Susan, what a wonderful idea. I have a couple of questions. How tall is the pen? From the photos, it looks to be about 3 feet. You have the 11 pc. plus mat, how big would you say it is? And finally, do you place the crate inside the pen, or do you use this strictly as a place to play? I really appreciate the response.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here is an idea for a puppy playpen from my breeder. First here is a photo of mine and then I'll explain how to do it. I absolutely love it. It is 20" tall and Catcher is not at all interested in climbing out of it. I only have him in it when I'm home though as I feel much safer for him to be in his crate when I'm gone.

It is made from white utility (closet) shelving. The materials can be purchased from any Lowes or Home Depot Hardware store. It can be made any size you need and the store will cut it to size for you. The 4 pieces are fastened at the corners with cable ties...and the cut ends of the shelves are capped of with rubber safety caps that can be purchased in the closet supply dept. I super-glued the end caps on. The material is great...it's coated with a rubbery coating that the puppies cannot chew, it can be easily wiped clean and never rusts or corrodes. The floor part is actually a piece of "splashguard" or floorboard which can be purchased at Lowes as well...

The best part for me is that I could make it whatever size worked for my room so it is very long, in my case. But you can make it square or whatever you prefer. I also bought a food and water bowl at Pet Smart that hooks to the wire (the bowl is made for a cage). That way his water and food don't tip over, which is what happened until I got these neat bowls.

Let me know if you have any questions....

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think most important is a play pen and a crate/bed. I still have just a towel in the bottom of Abby's crate. I also got her the following:

*Wall mountable drink bottle
*dishes for dinner, a water bowl and a little bowl for some extra puppy biscuits and a placemat (messy eaters!!)
*I found out the food my puppy had been eating and got that to start with
*I got some little treats for training right from the start
*snag free hair bands for top knots. You can get the waxed paper and ribbons later
*If your baby has teeth, you'll need toothbrush and dog toothpaste - you can get one that goes on your finger, but I prefer just a baby toothbrush
* wide tooth comb, flea comb (for face) and a brush
*harness and collar (my baby was so small that her harness was a guinea pig collar! She's still in it at 12 weeks!)
*blanket for cold nights. (I also got a couple of secondhand baby changemats with the plastic backing. These are great to put in the crate and play pen in case of accidents. I also sat her on these if she was on the couch or somewhere I didn't want wee!!
*I bought a two in one shampoo for white haired breeds - I was concerned that Abby would have "the runs" (which she did at first) so it was easy to clean her up using the two in one
*A hairdryer - will be your best friend!!
*Baby wipes (for when you are out)
*Cotton swabs (not the furry kind) and a little bowl to put warm water in to wash your pup's eyes
*I got a tear-stain remover from day one
*Potty pads if you will be using them and also the Housebreaking Aid
*Vinegar (use vinegar and water to wash over any housebreaking accidents to remove the smell)
*A few toys
*The best thing I bought - a "companion puppy". This is a toy dog which holds warmth when they snuggle up to it etc. She loves this puppy. I mean LOVES.
*Pig ear if your baby has teeth - mini carrots are very good too!!
*towel
*ID tags
*A folder with all of her medical details etc
*A pre-arranged vet appointment!
*Check if she needs future worming etc whether your breeder will be supplying this... if not, get the brand and get some!
*I have a little backpack/travel bag to keep all of this in

And if she/he isn't sleeping with you, sleep with their blanket that will be in their bed before you pick her up. She'll feel safer and closer to you.

I think that's it... will let you know if there's anything else I think of...

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
The pen from the Ferret store is 31" tall. It is pretty good size. I would estimate that it is about 5' in diameter. We put her crate inside, but not near the "walls" just in case she realizes that she could climb onto the crate and then hop out of the pen. The flooring material is very sturdy and can be washed and air dryed. The 8 panels fold onto themselves and then the other 3 seperate panels are the same size and stack on top. The bottom can be a top also. If you wanted to you could order the package deal with the pen, the 3 expansion panels and the bottom. Then you could order an extra mat and use it for a top. They show the canvas being used on the top when putting the dogs outside so they are shaded. I ordered a second pen today so that my daughter has one at her apartment and I have another one here at the house. Our little dog is not anywhere near big enough to get out of this pen. There may be a day when she could figure out how to get out. Hopefully by then she'll be house trained and can be confined to a room or some other idea. I think we'll be able to use the play pen for a while. By the way, when she stands up against the walls of the pen, they don't try to fall over or anything. It is very sturdy. The mat coming up on the sides helps to hold everything in place. I also like the free shipping from the Ferret store.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts