Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I need some opinions on this. Ok so Saturday night my aunt and cousin came over with their Boston Terrier to spend the night at my apartment because we were doing the Breast Cancer walk on SUnday. Well, Kylee and the Boston have played together many times before but it's been a little less than a month since they've played together since I've been up at school and all. Well, the Boston is now about 2 times the size of Kylee (kylee= 5 lbs and Boston = ~10 lbs). When they first started playing lsat night it was cute- they were running around and looking like they were having fun. But then it quickly ended up being them wrestling really really rough. LIke i had to pick Kylee up a couple of times because the Boston was just throwing her around like a rag doll. Kylee was just laying on her back, not looking like she was having fun at all. her tail was between her legs and her teeth were showing. But everytime I picked her up she was fighting to get down and go back for more. Well now I am nervous for 2 reasons. 1- Were they playing or were they really fighting and I just didnt recognize the signs; is Kylee traumatized for life. 2- will this happen if I ever get another dog? I just feel like if they were in different rooms from each other they would constantly be fighting. I couldnt handle that if I had another dog that lived with us forever.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
This sounds like how lexi and nikki play sometimes. They just act like they are playing. You will be able to tell when it gets too rough. If Kylee keeps running over to you wanting to get picked up then separate them for a little while until they calm down.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Since the Boston is twice her size and a terrier, I am concerned that you describe the Boston as "throwing her around like a rag doll". I love Bostons, but they are bully dogs and very strong and tough and could injure a delicate Maltese. From Kylee's body language (tail between legs and baring her teeth), I'm sure she was overwelmed and frightened even though she kept wanting to get back into the fray.

I'm sure if you got another Maltese they would be fine as long as you got one of a similar size.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Oct 10 2005, 12:31 PM
Since the Boston is twice her size and a terrier, I am concerned that you describe the Boston as "throwing her around like a rag doll". I love Bostons, but they are bully dogs and very strong and tough and could injure a delicate Maltese. From Kylee's body language (tail between legs and baring her teeth), I'm sure she was overwelmed and frightened even though she kept wanting to get back into the fray.

I'm sure if you got another Maltese they would be fine as long as you got one of a similar size.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=108073
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree. The Boston is just to like firm and built and muscular and Kylee is so fragile and delicate. Needless to say that will probably have been the last playdate with her cousin! I did end up seperating them but I did this by putting Kylee in the bedroom and seperating then by a baby gate. I felt this was unfair though bc it was Kylee's house and she was being alientated sort of :-/. Oh well...my plan for my next dog was a rescued pekingnese, japanese chin or malt. I hope with these being toy dogs, their styles of play will be equivalent to Kylee's.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, Bella and Harley play like that, and just when I think I should separate them, they look at me like I ruined there fun, so I just let them play now, but they are almost exactly the same size. If the Boston is twice her size, I would be hesitant, sorry, I dont feel like I'm helping

1 - 5 of 5 Posts