Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're this close to getting a puppy.

I've wanted a puppy for ages and ages and have nagged and nagged but I never actually did a lot of research and for a long time the Australian Terrier/Silky Terrier has been my dog of choice.

However, at the beginning of the week my mum said that we might get the last puppy from a litter that her work friends' dog had. Which would mean we're getting a Maltese/Shitsu cross.

I've read stuff about nasal problems due inbreeding (I don't think that's a problem with this puppy) but are there any other things I should know about - I'm hardly a dog expert.

AND the main thing, we have a cat. Although I did read on this site that Maltese can get along with cats. If I introduce them properly there shouldn't be any major dramas should there?

Thanks so much for reading the ignorants questions,
Donna

P.S. He'll be called Javier (har-bee-airr) if we do get him

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should have actually said something about myself in that mammoth post!

My name is Donna, I'm 17, doing my final year of school (all's going well so far) and I live in Australia.
I've NEVER had a dog before but I have helped two of my friends train their dogs and I have dog-sat while friends were away so I'm not completely clueless although I've never done the puppy caper before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your help.

I have one more question. The pups only four weeks old at the moment so there's a little while to go before we get him. There's only one thing that has been bothering us. I've just come back for another term of school so when we get Javier he'll be all alone after the first weekend.

Is this ok, or should I start begging my grandparents to come and puppy-sit?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I can't check on him inbetween classes my school is 30 minutes away on public transport and even then classes back onto each other and lunch is only 50 minutes - no time to do that.

I'm crossing my fingers that it will be ok. Get the puppy on Friday. That leaves Friday night, Saturday and Sunday to adjust. Then if we orchestrate it so that it's the right week in my timetable on Monday I won't have to go into school until twelve and then I'll only be gone four hours. But my brother should get home an hour before me.

*fingers crossed*

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, the grandparents will definitely be called in if he cries a lot at night. I plan on digging out one of my soft toy dogs for him to sleep with and we'll give him a hot water bottle to make him as comfortable as possible. I've had mixed comments from my friends, one stayed home with her puppy for an entire week and my other friend left it by itself for six hours a day after its first weekend with her grandparents checking in at lunch time.

It's 100% confirmed that I'm getting Javier now. We'll pick him up Friday night in two weeks time. He's the one on the far right in the photo below.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never have classes on the weekends. The problem is weekdays.

Like I've explained (probably not very well) I have class Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 3:40pm which means I leave home at 7:30am and get home about 4:15pm on an average day.

We've organised with the person we're getting Javier from that we'll get him on a Friday night, so we'll be with him constantly on the following Saturday and Sunday then we've timed it so it's my Monday where I don't have class in the morning so I'll only be gone from 11:30am until 3:30pm and my cousin was very excited when I asked her to come and puppy sit.

Currently Tuesday is going to be a nasty shock for him... I think I'll ask my grandparents to look in on him around lunchtime to make sure he's ok. How he manages really depends on how much time he spends with people the week before we get him - it's possible that he spends full 6-8 hours with just his mother already...

It's all quite stressful

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.