Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We talk so much about buying from someone who has had testing done on the parents prior to breeding. It might be interesting to see how many purchased dogs from breeders who did have testing done, see what was done, and distinguish whether the pups came from.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by LucyLou@Mar 11 2005, 08:35 PM
We talk so much about buying from someone who has had testing done on the parents prior to breeding.  It might be interesting to see how many purchased dogs from breeders who did have testing done, see what was done, and distinguish whether the pups came from.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=42365
[/QUOTE]

Oops, too long a day and too many agitated patients to deal with...My mind is fried.

It should read distinguish where the pups came from--such as mom and pop operation, hobby breeder, or kennel.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Been a long day. I do know that both of Lacey's parents were tested and had the DNA testing done, the DNA is listed on Lacey's AKC papers. I will have to dig out Lacey's papers to list all of the test that were done on her parents.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am not quite sure exactly what tests were done on Pippin's parents...but I would be extremely interested to hear from those in the know exactly WHAT tests SHOULD be done. Thank you for starting this thread, LucyLou.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If any breeder did any testing I would probably die of shock.

What testing should be done?

Annual ACVO or Cerf exam (eye exam)
OFA patellas
Cleared for liver shunt/MVD (easier said than done, but a normal ALT, fairly low bile acids - like under 40, no history of producing a shunt, ammonia tolerance test could also be done. Bile acids are not always on the ball for a Maltese, so precisely testing short of an invasive biopsy is a littler hard.)
Normal heart auscultation (for a Maltese, we are looking a PDA so the regular vet can do it although it would be nice if they had a cardiologist do it and register with OFA)

There is only one DNA marker test available for Maltese and it is for a glycogen storage disease. I don't know anyone who tests for it and to me, it isn't one of the biggies for the breed.

When somebody says a Maltese is DNA certified, that doesn't mean anything about their health. It just means a DNA sample was sent to the AKC so parentage can be established if need be. Popular sires are required to be on file.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts