Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello beautiful people.

Any recommendations for wet food for Maltese and is it good if i decide to feed my little one only wet food as she does not seem to be liking the kibble anymore.
Do you think on a long run they would develop any health issues with wet food.
Please suggest some wet food brands which are completely well balanced.

Thanks
Valli.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes, I am having the same problem / issue these is so many foods out there I have no idea what one to choose and what a good quality as well. so any maltese enthusiast out there help us out lol
ps puppy food food recommendation please
thank you

·
Super Moderator
10,167 Posts
The very best foods are raw or minimally processed, just like for us humans, because the majority of the natural nutrients are not processed out. Wet and dry processed foods destroy much of the nutritional value, so they have to add in chemical nutrients to make up for it.

Whole Dog Journal is a great resource for food recommendations.The subscription is around $20 - $30 per year but they have fabulous, detailed food reviews to help choose.

I use Honest Kitchen base mix, which is a dehydrated (minimally processed) raw and add lightly cooked turkey, beef or fish to it for my girls. Many "old time" Spoiled Maltese members actually use prepare their own meals using nutritionally balanced recipes for our babies.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I have always fed my girls the Honest Kitchen and Ling Ling prefers sojos. Both foods are dehydrated raw.
If you go to dog food advisor, they rate the food and will actually break down the ingredients as well as how much protein, carbs and the fat content on a dry matter basis for you.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I use Purina Pro Plan Joint Mobility dry food and I like nutro hearty beef stew for the wet food. I'm only using such a small amount of wet, though. Just enough to make their dry food enticing.

I put a little under 1/2 cup of dry food in bowl. Then i put maybe two tablespoons of nutro hearty stew in a measuring cup and add 2 tablespoons of water to it. Then i microwave the measuring cup for 15 seconds and swirl.

First, i pour the beefy liquid over top of the food. (it helps dissolve his crushed up glucosamine pills that i spread on top of the dry food.

Then i spread out the hearty stew chunks evenly on top of the dry food.

They love it. Maybe not the most nutritional but the JM dry food was prescribed by the vet. I was very skeptical but it really did help his knee. The addition of his glucosamine supp has helped, too.

The whole thing is like a warm beefy dish

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much for the deatailed process. I will try to do the same. Probably my girl is not liking the smell of her kibble so I started cooking chicken + rice + vegetables and still adding the kibble . She eats the homecoojed part and leaves the kibble. This is already 2 nd brand that I am trying.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Thank you so much for the deatailed process. I will try to do the same. Probably my girl is not liking the smell of her kibble so I started cooking chicken + rice + vegetables and still adding the kibble . She eats the homecoojed part and leaves the kibble. This is already 2 nd brand that I am trying.
How does she like the chicken/rice/veggies?

For a while ive really been considering just cooking this for them because it honestly sounds like it would be the healthiest. Im a bodybuilder that eats 6-7 meals a day, many of my meals are chicken/rice/veggies or beef/rice/veggies and i make up a bunch of meals in bulk. It would be easy to get together something like this for them.

I guess the only reason i havent started is because i was unsure of the portion sizes when it comes to food like that. I have a 5lb maltese and a fat 17lb morkie.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She loves it. And kind of keep asking for more. My girl is 4.6 pounds now. I feed her 1/2 cup a day ( 3 meals) but when she asks more ,I am not giving her more as I am also unsure how much to feed . Taking it easy for now as I don't want to run into puppy obesity problems . I honestly think I need to add some suppliments in the food I cook.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts