Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have no idea how, but i somehow broke a tooth. i went to the dentist today to find out that the tooth is cracked and i need to have a root canal and a crown. thankfully i'm not in any pain. i'm more afraid of getting the novacaine because of the needles than i am the root canal itself. i'm one who doesn't get any novacaine when i had a cavity filled because i'm so afraid of the needle.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Oh my! :( I hope that the root canal doesn't hurt too much without the novacaine. I'm the same way though! I'll do anything to avoid a shot!

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
OMG, Debbie -- Poor you. Praying that the root canal goes well. I don't take any novacaine either. I, too, am terrified of the shot. Had way too many of them as a child.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Maybe you could take some nitrous? A root canal without novacaine doesn't seem like fun. Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Debbie, I think you need a big:hugging: sounds like your having one of those:Bad day:days. I don't mind dentists, what I hate are doctors:yucky: I start stressing days before the appointment,:blink: I hope the root canal goes well and you have very little pain.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
You'll have to have some sort of pain deadening meds. Root canals are very painful without them.

I feel for you. Sorry you have to deal with this. Dental problems are not fun.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I was the same way but my dentist introduced me to nitrous gas and you will have no problem. Do NOT get a root canel without numbing please!!!!:tender:

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Aw honey!!! Just close your eyes and pray. Dentists jiggle your cheek before the injection. It's not too bad at all. I mean it.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxxo

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone. I don't plan on getting the root canal done without something to deaden the pain, unfortunately i can't have the gas, the 2 or 3 times i've had it i started choking and my mom almost lost me each time, i don't want to take the chance of that happening again even though it was years ago. I plan on getting novacaine even though i'm afraid of the needles and i know how much it hurts.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I feel your anxiety. I'm in the middle of dental **** - have had a sinus lift, 2 inplants, 1 new bridge in progress, 4 replacement crowns, 3 new root canals & 1 revision, 2 implant crowns, 3 teeth gum cutting away, 6 tooth veniers. Now my dentist is working up to placing all in my mouth @ the same time, which will not only change my look but also adjust my overbite a bit. She is a perfectionist which makes me happy. I have learned that sting of the shot is not great but it only lasts about 15-30 secons but the rewards are worth it to me.
I don't know how anyone could get a root canal without some kind of drug. They are messing with a big root. or two. The shot make nerves initially angry but then they all go to lala land.
I usually have tears in my eyes, but after a few seconds, I can relax for the next 2 hours.
I'm sorry for you. Dental work is so modern but scary. A good dentist is an artist. I wish you luck

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Wow I am SO impressed, I don't know anyone who's had a filling without a needle. You are so brave! I don't like the needle either but it isn't so bad, I am more afraid not to have it.
The crowns were ok, I have two, but I don't know anything about root canals.
The price of a crown is more painful than the needle.
I meant to add, I'm sorry that you broke your tooth too. I'm sure that was startling to say the least, not knowing how bad it was, that and the cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts