Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a dog show in my town, Hot Springs, AR today. CH BHE-JEI'S PINBALL WIZARD was there. He was absolutely breathtaking!!! In the program it also showed CH DIVINE'S MARC OF FRIENDSHIP was supposed to be there but he was not. There was no doubt it was a quality maltese when I first laid eyes on him. I didn't stay for the group today but will probably go back tomorrow. The black gentleman was there that used to show Les, the pekingese. He won his breed with another pek, and I noticed him checking out the maltese. He was sizing up his competition for group I'm sure. I know some of you that might live in larger cities see these sort of dogs more than me. I was in awe!

·
Registered
942 Posts
That is one of the most beautiful dogs I have seen. I fell in love with that look of Maltese. I even called to see if I could buy a puppy from them before I got Chanel. Man, congrats and lucky you!

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Elegant@Oct 1 2005, 08:39 PM
That is one of the most beautiful dogs I have seen.  I fell in love with that look of Maltese.  I even called to see if I could buy a puppy from them before I got Chanel.  Man, congrats and lucky you! 

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105333
[/QUOTE]

It really was something. If the Divine maltese would have come also, I would have gotten to see the #1 and #2 maltese side by side. I got to talk to the handler for just a second and she said his name was Tommy. She was nice but I didn't want to keep her because I knew she had to get ready for group. His coat was undescribable. I am going back tomorrow just to see him again. I will let everyone know if he won the group and possibly went on to win best in show.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by AJ@Oct 1 2005, 08:57 PM
Is this the "CH DIVINE'S MARC OF FRIENDSHIP" that you almost saw?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105338
[/QUOTE]

Yes, his name is in the program, but he was not there. Maybe there is a chance they will come tomorrow. I doubt it though. I wonder how many times the two have faced off?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by kab+Oct 1 2005, 07:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-AJ
@Oct 1 2005, 08:57 PM
Is this the "CH DIVINE'S MARC OF FRIENDSHIP" that you almost saw?

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105338
Yes, his name is in the program, but he was not there. Maybe there is a chance they will come tomorrow. I doubt it though. I wonder how many times the two have faced off?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105340
[/B][/QUOTE]

Remember, Sarah, who works for Tonia said they would be in Texas this weekend. It's common for the top dogs to enter more than one show. Then, when the time comes, they can choose where they want to show. I've been that route, having had the #1 Westie for the past two years (thankfully, we're retired now), so I know a little about the game. The goal is the group wins, and the best in show wins. For Best in Show, you get the number of points for the dogs entered. I think some of our Best in Show wins got as many as 1600 at a time. Since I also had a female Westie showing to her championship last year (I have one) with a handler who also had a special of another breed(Schnauzer) showing, I know that she would enter in several shows, then go to the ones where she thought she had the best chance of winning with her special. If another popular dog was going to be there, she would move on to another one. The special is the number one consideration for the handler, so they dictace the schedule. Handlers get bonuses for certain wins. I think we paid $750 bonus for the Best in Shows. For those of you not familiar with the term, a "special" is one who has completed his championship, and is going for one of the top rankings, determined by points. One set of points is from January to January. These are the ones who get special invitations to Westminister (the top five in each breed get a special invitation). Eukanuba points are calculated from October to October. The top 25 in each breed get an invitation. The first time I got an invitation to Eukanuba I started laughing because I had already cut my dog's hair.
For those of you who have never been to a dog show, I highly recommend you find one in your area and go. Just remember that it can be addictive. Unfortuantely, I have a Maltese male who I'm having shown right now that I haven't been able to see in the ring. He was in for the third time today, and got another major win; but, due to family obligations, the show I had looked forward to for weeks went on with me only getting news by phone. Now, we have nine of his fifteen points (three majors), and he may have his championship before I ever see him in the ring.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I used to go to dog shows to watch the Bichons after we got Jolie. One of these days I'll go and watch the Maltese. I keep hoping that I can visit with Sadie and Sassy's breeder if she ever comes near here while showing her babies. She seems to go east instead of west.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
We got to see Sarah and the Malts this weekend at the Lubbock dog show! It was a great time and the Maltese were gorgeous! It was really something else to see them in their full glory, so to speak. I've never really seen a perfectly full coated Maltese before so this was a blast.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It is always great fun to go to dog shows. I try to go to all the local shows. I have seen the current number 1 Maltese in Canada grow up from a 12 week old puppy to the beautiful girl she is today. I have also met Bandit in real life before and they are just stunning.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The maltese got beat by the pekingese today. Hiram, the same guy that handled Les, had this pek also. I couldn't take my eyes off the malt. He looked even more stunning in person.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't "get" the pekes. For my money when you put a champion Maltese next to a champion Pekingese, the Malt should come out on top. But I do understand the purity of a breed champ and I guess those rolling balls of electrified fur are more perfect than I can see. No offense to peke lovers. How can you see a sprightly, gorgeously silky full coated Maltese with those snappy black eyes, nose and mouth and say "go with the Peke" ?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Oct 2 2005, 07:31 PM
I don't "get" the pekes.  For my money when you put a champion Maltese next to a champion Pekingese, the Malt should come out on top.  But I do understand the purity of a breed champ and I guess those rolling balls of electrified fur are more perfect than I can see.  No offense to peke lovers.  How can you see a sprightly, gorgeously silky full coated Maltese with those snappy black eyes, nose and mouth and say "go with the Peke" ?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105518
[/QUOTE]

I am so in agreement with you. The maltese was sooooo much more striking. It was perfection in my eyes. The lady that co-owned the pek was sitting behind me. She said before the toy group started that it was not a good malt. I thought....WHAT?? She said it was too big and the hair was too coarse. I think she was afraid it might beat her pek. Unfortunately, it didn't. The maltese was so graceful and the handler was in a dark suit that showed off the maltese's white coat so beautifully. But what do I know......I am not objective in this case. If it was up to me the maltese would win every time.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
I think it is all subjective. Eventhough the judges are supposed to be judging on breed standard, they all have certain breeds that they are partial to. Also, I think there is a lot of politics involved. By this I mean, if someone has a really nice dog they are going to show and they see an equally pretty dog there they will sometimes hold their dog out. And on the reverse side of that they will sometimes put in "filler dogs" (dogs that are not so nice) to make their nicer dog look even better. I think almost any pure breed dog could be completed. It all depends on how much time, effort, and money one wants to put into that particular dog. It is all about points, and if you show the dog long enough he/she is bound to finish after a while.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts