Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with using sunscreen on a Maltese? Pico is going to the beach with us for a week and although we have travelled quite a bit together and I am pretty well prepared for this trip he will have more sun exposure than normal and I want to have him protected with sunscreen.

I have a faces-only human spray on sunscreen that I would like to use because it is non-greasy and can be sprayed onto his skin. Since he will likely need a shower nightly before bed to get the sand out I don't want to have to use shampoo daily.

My brother purchased a baby-sized pop-up tent so Pico will have a shady place to nap and we will have a canopy and beach umbrellas for the humans but he will still get sun exposure on his tummy from the reflected sun on the sand.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I found this on the web
http://www.pascopets.com/dogclothing.htm

I also need to get sunscreen since we are going camping this memorial weekend.

I read that to keep doggies cool in hot weather is good to put a wet towel, bandana or shirt on them and put a wet, cold towel on the floor for them to lay down and of course in the shade.

Have fun on your trip!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice and the website. I have a manly black t-shirt for Pico but that won't do so I will get him a white one for this trip and the wet towel is a good idea, too.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheri (Winston and Oscar's Mommy),

I was thinking of using a spray-on that is just for human faces. It is non-greasy and has high SPF. I'm taking Pico in for his annual checkup and to get his health cert for travel so I'll ask Dr. Vice about this, too.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I used to have a corgi mix who got a sunburn once i only really noticed on his stomic (although i am not really sure how he got buned there) because he didnt really have much hair there i remember after though he looked like he had dandruff because his skin peeled a little and his hair was black...i didnt really know what do it i just kept him inside as much as i could then when i had to wash him used a really gental dog soap for a while after

·
Registered
12 Posts
sunblock

hey!! How are you! I am living in Lousiana and Just to walk Gigio I get a little concern about the sun on his skin. My parent's maltese got skin problems when she got little older... so I want to protect as much as possible.

You mentioned about a Pet Silk sunblock? could you please give me the name .. ? I appreciate a bunch!! And so will little Gigio!

Thanks! and Have a great one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts