Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is only 3-1/2 months and the vet told me to wait until she had all her shots to take her to get groomed. Her hair is getting long and she has a little matting (is really hard to brush her hair...she goes crazy) I would love to take her so they can clean her all up and take all the hair off her face but is it too early?

I ran into a lady with a beautiful Maltese at Petco this weekend and she told me that she took her dog when he was only 3 months old. She highly recommended the groomer so I want to take Bella there.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I do mine myself and I start when they're babies (every day) so they get used to it. I definately wouldn't take her until she has all her shots though. You never know what she could pick up.Good luck

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I took Lexi to the groomers when she was 12 weeks old. This was before she had all of her shots. Afterwards I thought I should have waited until she had all of her shots. That time she was there only 2 hours for the puppy bath. The first time she got her hair cut she was 4 months old. After that I started to do it myself. This was not due to a bad experience, though. I just felt the haircut was not worth the month. I could do it myself and save a lot of money. I already had the shampoo and conditioner. I bought a clippers for $35 and a nail clipper for $5. I think the only other thing I bought was the ear drier but I needed that for regular baths too. So basically for the cost of one haircut I can now give Lexi haircuts for the rest of her life.

Lexi haircut was $35. The way her hair grows she would probably need a haircut every month. That adds up to $420 a year not including tax and tip. Even if I take her every 2 months that is still $210 a year. That means if Lexi lives for 15 years that would be $6,300 or $3,150. Dang that is a lot of money. I would rather spend it on her in some other way.

Plus I like grooming her it is fun. And if a haircut looks like crap I can say at least I didn't pay for it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts