Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea when is a good age to get a maltese baby started training on treats. I am bringin home early (i know it's not recommended but I already paid for him and I want to keep him) at 8 weeks. The breeder said no treats for a few months until she is totally adjusted to her food and developed good eating habits. i.e., not refusing her kibble and only wanting human food or treats. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with this? :D

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
For the first couple of days, just not to upset the pups stomach, I would stick with their kibble only. You can save some kibble from the 3-4 meals/day to use as treats.

It is fine to use treats as a reward. Remember that a tiny piece is plenty! They only need a tiny bite as a reward.

·
Registered
894 Posts
We went the Cheerio route with Sis as well. We would break it into 4 pieces to give her for potty success!! I think these are really the easiest "treat" for their tummy's at this puppy stage. When she was good to go on her regular food she graduated to "store bought" treats, no red dyes, no preservatives etc. Natural ones are the best. We started fun treats at about 14-16 weeks and then only once in a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts