Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get Bella spayed over the christmas break (I'm a grad student). She will be just a week under 6 months when I want to have it done. I have a couple of questions...is that too early? The vet seems ok with it but I just wanted to see what others thought. Also, I might plan a trip (3 1/2 hours by car) about 6 or 7 days after her sergery. Will she be ok to travel? We will be going to my parents' house so she has been there before and is very comfortable there.

Thanks for the input! I love having this outlet to discuss my questions!
Nicolle

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
It is recommend to have females spayed at 6 months because they can go into heat as early as 7 months. If you have them spayed before they go into heat they have better chance of NOT getting cancer.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I agree with Lexi's mom. Perfect age and after the 6th day, Bella should be normal. She probably will be sleeping in the car anyway. Take care

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Is Bella crate trained? If so you could maybe put the crate up in the car while you were driving. This is what I do with Lexi when we go to visit my parents. She sleeps in there the entire trip and I don't have to worry about her getting hurt.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 4 2004, 11:07 AM
Is Bella crate trained?  If so you could maybe put the crate up in the car while you were driving.  This is what I do with Lexi when we go to visit my parents.  She sleeps in there the entire trip and I don't have to worry about her getting hurt.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14825
[/QUOTE]

She is crate trained. I have a little car seat to take her around town but I do put her in her crate for long trips and she does fine. I might cover it with a blanket for that trip so she will sleep. I'm amazed how she can bounce around her crate while i'm driving. She's crazy sometimes and other times she goes right to sleep!
Thanks for the help!
Nicolle

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Nov 4 2004, 09:26 PM
I have heard vets will even do spay as young as 12 weeks.  I thought of getting Casper neutered then, but if he had to have any baby teeth pulled that would have meant another visit for him to the vet to be put under again and I didnt want him to have to go through that again.  So we waited he was 5 1/2 months when he got his boyhood taken away from him LOL and a cuple of baby teeth did have to be pulled.  As soon as he started doing the humpa humpa with Digby and showing signs of his little pecker LOL I did not want to wait any longer, and now he does not do the humpa humpa at all nor do I see his little pecker either 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=14952
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, Catcher is one week shy of seven months old and has never done any of the "manly" things. He was neutered about 3 weeks ago and even before neutering, never humped anything, etc. He still acts like a total baby....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts