Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a first time Maltese owner and am looking for suggestions on what you think are the necessities for a new Maltese owner ie which comb, brush, shampoo. Would you let me know whether a harness or lead is better and what brand. I will get my puppy in a couple of months and I am very excited. I want to make sure I have all the things right the first time if possible. Thanks for all the help.

·
Premium Member
5,487 Posts
Brush - madan pin brush - I have the pink one.
You can get them here - toplinepet.com

Grooming spray - it's not great to groom a dry coat.
I like the plush puppy OMG spray but you can dilute some conditioner in a spray bottle too.

Comb - a small face comb for his face and topknot(if you are growing his topknot)

Bands for topknot (may not apply) - light weight 1/4 size is what I like - you can get a bigger size but I would always stick with the light weight ones - http://www.laineeltd.com/cgi-bin/laineeltd/smallbands.html?id=yRishtSG

Shampoo - Pure Paws is great!
One of the vendors here on SM carries Pure Paws in her store - Pampered Pet Boutique LLC Home Page
If you want to save money you can use people shampoo and conditioner too - I like Aussie moist on Milo's coat.

Definetly a harness - I like the puppia soft ones BUT one of my dogs got out of her's easily so I would go for a harness vest - you can find loads of nice cheap ones on ebay.

Best of luck with your puppy!!
Is his name Milo? If so, great name!! ;)

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
This is one of the questions where you will get a ton of different answers!

One thing though - if a brush is sold at Petsmart or petco - AVOID! I like some of their combs but have yet to see a 'good' brush for maltese sold at either store. You want a pin brush without little balls on the end (Orla's Madan suggestion is fantastic)

Good luck with your new baby!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts