Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I specifically told the groomers who worked on Chanel to not expel her anal sacs/glands, but I think they might have...they shaved the hair around her rear end...how do you know if they have been expelled?

And if she did have them expelled, will she ever be the same? I just feel weird because I didn't want to have her start getting them expelled because she has never needed to.

Help?

~Elegant

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hey good questions.

I have always wondered how would I know if Puddles needed it done. So far the vet says were okay not needing it.
Is there a sign, like sliding the hinney on floor, ect?

Our groomer shaves around there also, but she does nothing to the glands.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I told them specifically that I didn't want it done because if you don't, they will do it. I want to know what the signs are if they have been done.

I heard that they need them done if they are always scooting on the ground.

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley had some trouble with anal glands when I first got him. He would scoot on his butt a lot...I had them done at the vet a few times...but it got less and less and the vet said unless he was doing the scooting all the time, that usually they would expel themselves...so I don't worry about it much anymore. There have been times on the wee pad when the poo has looked extremely different...slimey or something and had a different smell...I wondered if that was the anal gland yuck...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know this sounds yucky, but...does their rear end look different after they have been expelled?

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
no u wouldnt be able to tell...the sacs are inside..u would have to go in and feel

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You wouldn't be able to tell. The groomer sticks their finger inside and pushes on the anal sacs. I think your groomer just cut the bum area to prevent poop from sticking to it.

Two of my Maltese need to be monitored because they are prone to anal gland issues. I learned the hard way with Nibbler and never again if I let it happen. Both Sparkle and Nibbler need to be expelled on a regular basis. I am not sure if it is because they are both small or they have common ancestors.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Mar 27 2005, 09:52 PM
You wouldn't be able to tell.  The groomer sticks their finger inside and pushes on the anal sacs.  I think your groomer just cut the bum area to prevent poop from sticking to it.

Two of my Maltese need to be monitored because they are prone to anal gland issues.  I learned the hard way with Nibbler and never again if I let it happen.  Both Sparkle and Nibbler need to be expelled on a regular basis.  I am not sure if it is because they are both small or they have common ancestors.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46687
[/QUOTE]

Sticks their finger inside??!! Yuk!! I thought they just pressed on either side of the outside area ? No?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant@Mar 27 2005, 09:17 PM
I told them specifically that I didn't want it done because if you don't, they will do it.  I want to know what the signs are if they have been done.

I heard that they need them done if they are always scooting on the ground.

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46673
[/QUOTE]

Shaving the area has nothing to do with anal gland expelling. They shave the area so it'll stay clean after they have a bowel movement... so there will be no hair there for "anything" to get stuck on. They don't shave the area to expel anal glands. So, everything is probably fine.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Mar 27 2005, 10:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CharmyPoo
@Mar 27 2005, 09:52 PM
You wouldn't be able to tell.  The groomer sticks their finger inside and pushes on the anal sacs.  I think your groomer just cut the bum area to prevent poop from sticking to it.

Two of my Maltese need to be monitored because they are prone to anal gland issues.  I learned the hard way with Nibbler and never again if I let it happen.  Both Sparkle and Nibbler need to be expelled on a regular basis.  I am not sure if it is because they are both small or they have common ancestors.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46687
Sticks their finger inside??!! Yuk!! I thought they just pressed on either side of the outside area ? No?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46690
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's what I thought too...kinda like sqeezing a pimple or something...
I know that's gross...but that is what I had in my head when the vet described it. Sometimes they could tell just by looking at his bum if it needed to be expressed..but I couldn't.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I shave Alex's rear end too without expelling the gland. You cannot see a difference. The only thing that could give you a hint, is the smell if they did not wash up the area real good after doing it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
http://www.inkabijou.co.uk/anal.htm

Briefly, How Do You Express The Anal Glands?

There are two common methods which can be referred to as the "external" and
"internal" methods. With the external method we express the anal glands by
placing a paper towel (or something similar) against the glands (which can be
felt with the fingers - they feel like "grapes" under the skin) and gently pressing
on them to get them to express. With the other method of expressing the anal
glands, called the "internal" method, we first put a latex exam glove on and
lubricate the index finger with KY jelly. Then the index finger is gently inserted
in the anus and we isolate the gland between the index finger and thumb. Then
we gently squeeze the gland from both sides (inside and outside) to express the
secretion. I personally prefer this method because (for me at least) I can express
more of the secretion from the gland than with the external method.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Yuck...

Thanks for the explanation though...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most groomers do it externally. That tends not to empty them all the way. If they are scooting, they should go to the vet and have them emptied internally.

Rule of thumb is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If they start scooting or licking their rear a lot, take them in.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 28 2005, 09:28 AM
Most groomers do it externally. That tends not to empty them all the way. If they are scooting, they should go to the vet and have them emptied internally.

Rule of thumb is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If they start scooting or licking their rear a lot, take them in.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46790
[/QUOTE]

Love, Love the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach!! Works for me!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 28 2005, 07:28 AM

[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Sisses Momma+Mar 28 2005, 09:00 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JMM
@Mar 28 2005, 09:28 AM

Love, Love the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach!! Works for me!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46822
[/B][/QUOTE]
I felt the exact same way, if it ain't broke...I just hope they didn't do it. Her "brown eye"
looks different...gross, I sound like a perv, but she looks different down there. Maybe because all of the hair is shaved away?

Hopefully they listened to my request and didn't do anything.

~Elegant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts