Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new maltese mom and anxious to hear some of your favorite tricks and tips for training a new malt puppy?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My favorite right now is to make a high pitch "alllppppp" (like a puppy) when my little pup tries to play bite me. I had tried everything in the book, including flipping him over on his back, and nothing worked. I read that tip on here, did it the first time not very loud then really loud and he totally stopped! Then last night he was trying to play bite my roommate and she made the noise and he stopped.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
*Puppy Socialization. From the American Veterinary Society for Animal Behavior:

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy socialization.pdf

*Puppy Class and Level I Obedience Class. (With a good trainer)

Besides these, I think one of the best tips I've received from trainers is to massage your puppy and handle their paws, nails, ears, etc. By making handling a positive experience, it helps trememdously with grooming and vet visits later on. Don't do the massage when puppy is in biting mode though or it will re-inforce the biting. With Karli, I waited until she was tired and sleepy. Another added benefit with the massage is bonding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts