Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the posts about the Iams/Yuckanuba dog food and someone asked the question what does everyone feed their dog but then it got sidetracked and I'm left wondering.. exactly what do you feed your dog?

On the advice on many here, I switched IzzyBella from Yuckanuba today to Chicken Soup for the Puppy Soul. I found it at Agway for $1.99 per 3 pound bag. I was getting concerned because to me it didn't seem like Izzy had much of an appetite. She merely picked at her food mixture the breeder recommended. But this morning during play time with Cricket, I gave her a tiny piece of treat and she inhaled it! I immediately went to the store and purchased the Chicken Soup brand and she loves it. She ate two bowls today, where yesterday she ate 1/4 bowl of the Yuckanuba.

What do you feed your dog and why?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
parker is on hills perscription canned i/d because he has a sensitive tummy, other can foods were giving him diarrhea. and dry foods were causing issues w/ the dieting cats eating it

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Sassy, Sadie and Jolie are on Redbarn Premium Dog Food Rolls and Natural Balance Kibble. They inhale both.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We give Canidae (dry food) to Puddles. Never had a problem with it giving him upset tummy. Can only find it in private pet stores.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley is also on Chicken Soup! He loves it!!! He was very picky about what he ate before Chicken Soup. I give him a couple tablespoons of the canned in the morning and about 1/4 cup of dry. In the evenings he gets about 1/2 cup of dry, but he hardly ever eats it all. He does clean his bowl with the canned though! I tried mixing it WITH the dry...and he didn't like it that way. He wants it separated. Kinda like me..I don't want my foods touching on my plate either...he he.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My breeder sent Beastie home last week with Eukanuba, Bil-Jacks, and Pedigree. Said to leave out dry kibble at all times and feed the wet food twice daily (1/4 cup each time). While he sure looks healthy, he doesn't seem to enjoy his food. Has anyone read about a new product called "Blue"? Petsmart was touting it last week. The info on it seems very good. Has anyone actually tried it?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I feed Peanut Innova in the green bag. He loves it, and on days that he's not really interested in eating I mix in a little bit of baby food, he loves the turkey and gravy. The kibble size is a little larger that he likes, but so far so good. :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182@Feb 5 2005, 10:16 AM
Bailey & Kirbie are on Newmans Own.I like it because it is all organic and no dyes etc.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33603
[/QUOTE]

Same here.... same reasons! I like the fact that the chicken is not fed hormones, antibiotics, etc. Everything in this food is wholesome..... And the profit goes to support pet-related charities... can't beat that!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Feb 5 2005, 02:07 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sheila2182
@Feb 5 2005, 10:16 AM
Bailey & Kirbie are on Newmans Own.I like it because it is all organic and no dyes etc.
Same here.... same reasons! I like the fact that the chicken is not fed hormones, antibiotics, etc. Everything in this food is wholesome..... And the profit goes to support pet-related charities... can't beat that!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33646
[/B][/QUOTE]

HEhehhhhe,your many (pitches) on this food is the reason i checked it out and switched the boys to it .LOL

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by sheila2182+Feb 5 2005, 02:13 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 5 2005, 02:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sheila2182
@Feb 5 2005, 10:16 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33646

[/QUOTE]

HEhehhhhe,your many (pitches) on this food is the reason i checked it out and switched the boys to it .LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33648
[/B][/QUOTE]
Too funny!! When I like something, I tend to get very passionate about it! I'm so glad the food worked out for you!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I feed my kids the Pro Plan for small breeds, dry of course. I have found that Prissy's tear stains are much less and the coats of both of our dogs are very healthy and shiny. I have also noticed their droppings are much smaller.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is currently eating Flint River Ranch Fish & Chips and Lam & Millet dog food. I'm mixing the two for variety. He LOVES it and it's good for him so it works great for us. We've also tried the Chicken Soup brand and he liked it too, just not as much as the Flint River so I let him choose.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Mikey eats 2 prescription dry diets (Hills d/d and Royal Canin/Waltham LF). Jonathan normally would eat ProPlan dry, but since he had a constipation issue I was giving him that with Hills w/d canned. I got over trying to feed the super premium as my dogs never did well with them. ProPlan is the winner for the normal dogs around here.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He has nearly no tearstaining, eats all his food, and seems happy with it[/B]
I can tell from Boomer's pictures that he has nearly no tearstaining. I hope it's because of the Chicken Soup. I have been mixing canned Chicken soup with the dry Chicken soup kibble and Izzy will pick at it but she doesn't gobble it like I'd prefer. I am going to follow the example of giving a few tablespoons of canned only in the morning and dry for the rest of the day. Maybe she doesn't like hers mixed either.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
all three of mine are on a homecooked diet. so far so good.
i've been pleased with the results.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Feb 5 2005, 09:53 PM
He has nearly no tearstaining, eats all his food, and seems happy with it
I can tell from Boomer's pictures that he has nearly no tearstaining. I hope it's because of the Chicken Soup. I have been mixing canned Chicken soup with the dry Chicken soup kibble and Izzy will pick at it but she doesn't gobble it like I'd prefer. I am going to follow the example of giving a few tablespoons of canned only in the morning and dry for the rest of the day. Maybe she doesn't like hers mixed either.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33712
[/B][/QUOTE]

Good luck, but the Chicken Soup didn't really help our tearstaining. I was hoping...but it didn't.
But...it is his favorite food so far. He EATS it...doesn't nibble it just so he is not hungry, which is what I felt he was doing with the other foods.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've just put my three on homecooked food, or at least partially home cooked. I buy a health food pre-mix and add fresh apple, fresh green or orange vegetables (pureed) and then a ground protein source (can be meat or fish). All of these are mixed together and baked in muffin form which I can freeze until I need them. I can also buy the muffins pre-made and vacuum packed & frozen, but it's cheaper to make them yourself. The product is made by a company called Canine Life, they are Canadian and located right here in Burlington. Gracie (my 2 yr old) stopped eating kibble (I tried many differnt brands, which she would pick at for a while and then stop eating) I was adding cooked vegetables, a spoon of canned food, a bit of Natural Balance Roll just to get her to eat a little. Anyway, she and the other two just love this food, they eat their meal in 1 minute and lick the bowl clean!!! I'm happy. I'm not sure if they sell or ship to the U.S. or just Canada, but if any of you want to check out the ingredients, the web site is www.theskyesthelimit.com.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts