Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Been away for awhile...studying for final exam.

A question for all of you guys who use the Chris Christensen brushes and combs...which ones do I order? I was going to order a pin brush and comb tonight but I don't know which ones. What do you guys use? I remember reading her a few months ago about the pin brush that is white so I was looking at that one but I don't know what size to get for Lacey. Lacey is not in a show coat. I keep her anywhere from very short to about 3.5 inches in lenght. Summer is coming so I will cut her short so she can play outside and not worry about brushing her out everynight.

A side note...here in Northeast Ohio we now have coyotes...lots and lots of coyotes that have rabies. The coyotes are eating raccoons that have rabies...has become a big issue. The other day a coyote carried away a little maltese not far from where I live. So anyone that has coyotes be careful! Two houses down from me 2 coyotes tried to get through a sliding glass door to get to the yorkie and of course my husband has found paw prints and what appears to be what is left of a rabbit right outside our dining room window. Just thougth I would warn all that live in my area, I know there are a few.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I love and live by the 20 mm gold series brush. It is softer than the other brushes in my opinion.

It has also been recommended on this list ... to try out the #1 All Systems brush. I also like it a lot.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I suggest that you drop the folks at Chris Christensen a note and tell them what kind of coat she has, length, etc. and they will recommend a brush... I wrote them about Catcher when his hair was long and here is what they said:

"The 27mm Gold Series Pin Brush is a softer cushion and has much more give than our regular 27mm brushes. Usually the Gold brushes are used for finishing brushing, not serious get down and dirty brushing. In reading your e-mail and the description of your situation I would think you might want to go with either the 27mm regular Oval or 27mm Oblong brush.

Kindest regards,

Mrs. Lisa Christensen
Chris Christensen Systems
[email protected]
www.chrissystems.com"

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Intersting email from CC. After years of using the #1 All Systems 27 mm white pad pin brush, I switched Lady to the CC Gold Series 27 mm brush. I love this brush on Lady's thicker, more cottony coat. I sure wouldn't consider it a finishing brush, though. It goes through her coat very well, but I wouldn't want it any stronger. It seems to be the best brush for a cottony Maltese coat which is still a lot softer than a Shiz Tsu or Llaso coat.

I think I'd start with an All Systems brush first if I were you and see what kind of coat your puppy ends up with. They also make a wonderful greyhound type comb that others have recommended that is on my wish list.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all. thanks for the info. I emailed the people at the site and they recommended the oblong brush and the #00 buttercomb (I think) comb. I have so much info in my head right now I can't keep everything straight. I have a final tonight in American Sign Language. Can't wait for this to be over with. The material for the class was good but my instructor was horrible!!! He only taught to two students in the class and the rest of us just got to sit there and watch the three of them. Very frustrating to say the least. I have been going to college for 10 years now and every once in awhile I run across an instructor who just shouldn't be teaching and this instructor is one of them. So thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think most of the feedback I have heard about the regular CC pin brushes on a Maltese coat is not positive, that they are too harsh and can break the coat. I think the consenus is that the A#1 All Systems brush is probably best on a Maltese coat unless they have a cottony coat, then the CC Gold Series brush is the one you want.

What kind of coat does Lacey have? I'd probably start with the All Systems white pad 27 mm brush for about $15. The CC Gold Series brush is pricey - $34, and if Lacey has a silkier coat she might not need it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Marj,
Sis's coat is cotton and flyaway!! Can her's still change to a more managable texture as she continues to grow? I understand they start "changing" at about 9 months, but what do they "change" into??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I agree with Lady's Mom. I am not too fond of the normal CC brushes. I have the oblong one they recommended and I don't like it. I find that the gold brush works great on Sparkle because she has a very fine silky coat and doesn't mat often. I do use the #1 All Systems brush on Waffle (Shih Tzu) and Cookie. They are both in puppy cuts right now.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I just read on another site where a breeder was saying they beleive they go through 3 coats from birth to about 2 years. The baby hair, the first real hair, and at around 2-3 years it changes again. There didn't seem to be any way to know which coat you'll end up with.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm no expert since I adopted Lady as an adult, but I think JMM said that usually if they have a cottony coat as a puppy, it's unlikely that it will turn into a silky adult coat.

The one positive thing about a more cottony coat is that it looks wonderful in a puppy cut - so fluffy!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Must be why we call them "fluff butts"! Yes, she has a cotton coat for sure, she gets so full of static running around on the carpeting, especially now that the humidity is about 10 here in Arizona!! Is there anything that you can put on them to get rid of the static? Almost everytime we pick her up she gets "shocked" from us. Poor thing often cringes when we go to get her!!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are a number of grooming sprays with anti-static in them. Biogroom also makes a spray just for anti-static. I believe one of the PurePaws sprays is antistatic and the Coat Handler detangling spray may be as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts