Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mugsy will be getting neutered next week. I am wondering what the recovery process will be like? Will he be in a lot of pain? Is it a large incision, etc? Also, if I am not mistaken, when I made the appt., they said that the pain killer is an option. Wouldn't that be a definite need?

Please everyone with experience here tell me everything you think I need to know!

Thank you!
The Nanny

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
When Peanut got neutered, I dropped him off at 8am and he was home with me by 2pm. He was very groggy and I couldn't feed him from 9pm the night before until the morning after the surgury. I gave him Nutri Cal the night after the surgury and a little water. I gave him a couple of pieces of kibble but he threw up right away. I got Rimadyl (pain killer) and it was for the next 4 days, it was an additional cost, but only a few dollars. His incision was tiny. They shaved his belly area and the inside of his back legs. All I could see was a tiny blue dot, which was the dissolvable stiches. He did lick the area, and I had to pay extra for an E-collar, which I think was $11. He was perfect after a day at home. I had to limit his outside time and he wasn't allowed to run around much for a week. Someone should be home with Mugsy for a few days after the surgury, and definately keep Nutri Cal on hand, he may not want to eat. I also got Peanut microchipped when he was neutered and I think the microchip bothered him more than being neutered. He kept scratching his back where the microchip was injected. He just slept a lot the days following the surgury.

I don't remember the exact break down in prices, but total was about $270. Peanut got back to his normal self after 2 days. But it's a fight to get him to go to the vet now...don't be surprised if Mugsy remembers what happened at the vet! :D

Good luck!! Mugsy will be fine!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

Do you buy the rimidyl from the vet? I guess so...where else?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Depending on the size of the dog, pain meds may be Torbutrol, Rimadyl, or another NSAID like Metacam. Most males need it for a day or two if that if both testicles are descended. These are all prescriptions your vet would send you home with.

If he spends the night at the vet, he should be pretty normal the next day other than tired from being at the vet. If he goes home the same day he may be a little groggy.

The incision should be small if both testicles are descended. If not, he will have a larger abdominal incision to find them.

He should not be in a lot of pain, but the sutures do tend to feel funny to some dogs.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I dropped Brinkley off at 7:30 and picked him up around 4:00. He did not have pain meds and made it fine. He was groggy when I first brought him home...a little sluggish for most of the day on Saturday...but by Saturday night/Sunday morning, he started coming around to his normal self. His incision was small, and he got the dissolvable stitches. He licked alot the first few days, but didn't bother them enough to need an e-collar or anything. People told me the dogs handled it better than we did, and after it was over, I agreed with them. It is hard not to worry about them....

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Rimadyl is for arthritis, not exactly a pain killer for after surgery.
You will be amazed how quickly your little guy will recuperate. Yes the pain killer is an option, I took it but did not need it. Even tho Alex had more extensive surgery because they had to find his other testicle that was not descended. The vet will give a pain killer if you choose to get it. Make sure you do the blood work before surgery. You bring them in early in the morning and get them back in the afternoon after they are a wake from the anesthesia. Your vet will give you all the after care instructions. You can have him drink water later in the evening but be careful, only a little bit to start. In my point of view it's not a good idea to feed them because as littlepeanut mom experienced there is a good chance they will throw up. It's better if they can wait to the next morning. Alex never even WANTS to eat after anesthesia (for dental cleaning or his latest surgery for his knee).

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Feb 9 2005, 10:45 AM
You will be amazed how quickly your little guy will recuperate. Yes the pain killer is an option, I took it but did not need it. Even tho Alex had more extensive surgery because they had to find his other testicle that was not descended. The vet will give a pain killer if you choose to get it. Make sure you do the blood work before surgery. You bring them in early in the morning and get them back in the afternoon after they are a wake from the anesthesia. Your vet will give you all the after care instructions. You can have him drink water later in the evening but be careful, only a little bit to start. In my point of view it's not a good idea to feed them because as littlepeanut mom experienced there is a good chance they will throw up. It's better if they can wait to the next morning. Alex never even WANTS to eat after anesthesia (for dental cleaning or his latest surgery for his knee).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34391
[/QUOTE]

Janine,

Rimadyl is approved for post-operative pain relief.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Feb 9 2005, 10:45 AM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34391
[/QUOTE]

What blood work are you talking about before surgery? The vet didn't mention blood work.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
usually the vet will offer a preanesthesia work up...which is a CBC and chemisty panel. i highly reccomend getting this done, b/c it checks to make sure ur pup can handle the anesthetic.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 9 2005, 04:06 PM
Janine,

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34479
[/QUOTE]

What about Buprenex...? I believe that is what my vet gave Catcher post op. He gave me four syringes filled with it and I squirted one in Catcher's mouth I believe twice a day for a couple days.....

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Buprenex is another derivative similar to butorphanol or torbutrol. It is a narcotic pain reliever that is nicely dosed for small breeds. Mikey gets torbutrol as needed for discomfort.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Lady Montava once said that this procedure is not that difficult. But, I still cried and was worried to death. HAHAHAHA A couple of us, including myself, spoke of our "drama" on here. I don't remember anyone saying that their dog was drowsy while they were taking the pain meds. Both my babies were pretty wild again after the first/second day.

Will your vet let you take your baby home the same day?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Can someone please tell me how the surgery is for a female? Ruby Jean goes in on the 21st of this month to be spayed and microchipped-I talked to the lady at the front desk about her coming home the same day and she said absolutely not-so I need to talk to my vet personally about it - but I'm very nervous to do that! Also nothing was mentioned to me about the blood work!! Thank you!! (I'm so nervous)

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
[[/QUOTE]

Janine,

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34479
[/QUOTE]

Are vets still prescribing Deramaxx for post operative pain? I know that it was thought to be such a big breakthrough when it was introduced a few years ago and a safer alternative to Rimadyl, but with all the supposed problems with Vioxx and Celebrex, have they pulled Deramaxx, too?

Lady did very well on Deramaxx for a year with her arthritis. We had to resort to a low dose of steriods after that, unfortunately, but Deramaxx was good stuff.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
When Kodie was neutered.. he was given a pain medicine shot. Anyone else recieve that? He never got any prescriptions.

I dunno if all maltese have this problem but Kodie has such thin skin... he developed an infection and is still trying to heal completely from the sutures.. and its been 4 months! They told me it could take him 8 months to heal from this because of his skin being so thin.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Deramaxx is still available for dogs. We usually use that or Rimadyl for post-op spays and neuters. In tiny dogs, we use Torbutrol.

The dog should be given an injection of pain medication before it is totally awake.

Torbutrol and Buprenex and a few other pain meds can make the dog sleepy. Rimadyl and other NSAIDs do not.

A spay is abdominal surgery, so they usually do need pain meds for a few days. Within 2-3 days, though, the dog has usually bounced back completely. It is very important to keep them quiet for the next week - no running, jumping, rough housing, etc. If those sutures go, you have an open incision into the abdomen. So, follow your vet's confinement instructions.

Most clinics where the policy is that they stay overnight require you to make arrangements with the vet before hand if you want to take them home the same day. Many vets are very hesitant to do this because of lack of owner compliance in general with post-op instructions. Basically, the dog should come home and be crated for the next day with only brief leash walks for potty breaks. Keeping them overnight ensures quiet confinement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts