Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Normally we always take our girls to get groomed and have their nails done there.

Right now, because of our new store, we are eating top ramen and desperately trying to make our mortgage, so unfortunately our girls cannot see a groomer any time soon, so we are endevouring to do this ourselves.

Their nails are getting pretty out of hand, and I'm scared to death to cut them because I know their little quick is in there...

Is there a certain kind of trimmer you guys use, and do you usually have that powder stuff on hand? I forget what it is called?

any advice is much appreciated.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i bought the guillotine type of nail cutters. and also have Quik Stop on hand. at petsmart you can get their nails cut for $5 or $8. something like that. but just cut little by little. or go to the groomer and ask them for a favor----to teach you how to do it.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I also use the guilotine type cutter, though I don't have to do it very often becuse I take Tiki for walks at least 3 times a day and he always pulls to chase birds. When he pulls I let him do this on the side walk and it files the nails down quite well.

I had the vet show me how to do it, he did this for free.

Give your vet a call if the girls are favorites there one of the assistance may do it for free

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have the same as Cathy & Tiki. A good little hint to help out that my vet passed on to me is take the nail off a little at a time and walk them outside on the tar as that will help wear them down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts