Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. The grinder thing that is used in salons for acrylic nails etc.

2. The Guillone? SP?

3. Other types of clippers.

Which is the best?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Originally posted by ebonyqueen3@Nov 8 2005, 12:03 PM
1. The grinder thing that is used in salons for acrylic nails etc.

2. The Guillone?  SP? 

3. Other types of clippers.

Which is the best?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117974
[/QUOTE]

I use a grinder. I have the Dremel Mini Mite and Lacie never minds me triming her nails. After I trim them with the Dremel I go over once with a nail file just to be sure their are no sharp edges.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
You need to be carefull with the grinders. I've heard that their hair can get caught in the grinder.

I use a small nail clippers that I got at I got at PetsMart. It looks like this:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Originally posted by Lacie2+Nov 8 2005, 01:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ebonyqueen3
@Nov 8 2005, 12:03 PM
1. The grinder thing that is used in salons for acrylic nails etc.

2. The Guillone?  SP? 

3. Other types of clippers.

Which is the best?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117974
I use a grinder. I have the Dremel Mini Mite and Lacie never minds me triming her nails. After I trim them with the Dremel I go over once with a nail file just to be sure their are no sharp edges.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117976
[/B][/QUOTE]


I use the Dremel Mini Mite also. You have to be really careful because you can get their hair caught in it very easily. I have gotten *Tink's* hair caught twice. One time it was her tail! Hubby had to help me untangle the mess. One good thing about the Mini Mite is that it will automatically stop if the hair gets caught. It is the only thing I can use to trim her nails. I have tried the guillotine type and others and she fights me the whole time. My groomer is the one that got me started using the Dremel tool. I just have to make sure I hold the hair on the foot completely away from the tool when I am grinding. Takes practice but she doesn't mind the Mini Mite at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Originally posted by *Tink's*Mommy+Nov 9 2005, 10:29 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2005, 01:10 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-ebonyqueen3
@Nov 8 2005, 12:03 PM
1. The grinder thing that is used in salons for acrylic nails etc.

2. The Guillone?  SP? 

3. Other types of clippers.

Which is the best?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117974


I use a grinder. I have the Dremel Mini Mite and Lacie never minds me triming her nails. After I trim them with the Dremel I go over once with a nail file just to be sure their are no sharp edges.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=117976

[/QUOTE]


I use the Dremel Mini Mite also. You have to be really careful because you can get their hair caught in it very easily. I have gotten *Tink's* hair caught twice. One time it was her tail! Hubby had to help me untangle the mess. One good thing about the Mini Mite is that it will automatically stop if the hair gets caught. It is the only thing I can use to trim her nails. I have tried the guillotine type and others and she fights me the whole time. My groomer is the one that got me started using the Dremel tool. I just have to make sure I hold the hair on the foot completely away from the tool when I am grinding. Takes practice but she doesn't mind the Mini Mite at all.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118273
[/B][/QUOTE]

I did get Lacie's hair caught once (
) but your right, the Mini Might will stop automatically. It was not hard to untangle if you press the release button, remove the shank and the hair will slide off. After that I found out that if you take a piece of bridal netting (tule) and poke her nail's through it, her hair stays clear of the grinder. Lacie also doesn't mind the grinder at all. She will sit in my lap and hold her little paw up for me to give her a trim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
I use Greenies Smart Trim dog nail clipper/file grinder. Here is the description of it:
"An adjustable nail clipper with electric file that uses stainless steel blades and features an exclusive Quick Guard nail stop that pre-sets the cutting length for a precise, worry-free trim every time. No more costly trips to the groomer for nail trimming. Perfect for every household to keep hardwood floors, carpet and furniture from being destroyed. Easy to use, easy to clean. Collection tray to catch nail clippings."



I like this better than the regular ones I used to buy. At the end of the nail clipper, you have this rotating nail file that is pretty useful. Just like our nails, if you use a nail cutter, you need to file your nails down so it wouldn't have those sharp edges. When I clip their nails, it's usually really sharp afterwards... so this helps a lot! =] I hope this was helpful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
126 Posts
Originally posted by CindyPham@Nov 13 2005, 02:55 PM
I use Greenies Smart Trim dog nail clipper/file grinder. Here is the description of it:
"An adjustable nail clipper with electric file that uses stainless steel blades and features an exclusive Quick Guard nail stop that pre-sets the cutting length for a precise, worry-free trim every time. No more costly trips to the groomer for nail trimming. Perfect for every household to keep hardwood floors, carpet and furniture from being destroyed. Easy to use, easy to clean. Collection tray to catch nail clippings."



I like this better than the regular ones I used to buy. At the end of the nail clipper, you have this rotating nail file that is pretty useful. Just like our nails, if you use a nail cutter, you need to file your nails down so it wouldn't have those sharp edges. When I clip their nails, it's usually really sharp afterwards... so this helps a lot! =] I hope this was helpful!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119274
[/QUOTE]


I have not seen this one before. Where did you buy it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Originally posted by Lacie2@Nov 13 2005, 03:28 PM
I have not seen this one before.  Where did you buy it?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=119292
[/QUOTE]

You can do a search on these to find better deals... maybe ebay too? They always have great prices!

GREENIES NAIL CLIPPER!!!

Here's part of what they have on the website... (just in case you haven't clicked the link yet)

Tired of nail-trimming hassles? We bet your dog is, too! Finally, you can safely trim your pet’s nails without accidentally cutting too far. The Smart Trim features a unique adjustable nail stop that ensures you won’t cut too far, even if your dog is squirming the whole time. An electric nail file is also built-in to the Smart Trim so smooth over the freshly cut nails quickly and easily. Featuring a built-in collection try to catch nail clippings, the Smart Trim is neat, too. Save time and money- no more nail trimming trips to the groomer with the Smart Trim!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,741 Posts
i use the greenies one also...i find the nail trimmer can be hard to see what u r doinf but i love it for the grinder,....it protects the hair from getting caught and has a saftey to prevent u from pressing too hard..if u do it stops spinning. i got mine from kingswholesale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
I use the exact same one as Lexi's mom. I have tried a few clippers but that one is the absolute easiest.[/B]
Ditto! I have tried a few different ones and this one is the best! Kodie doesnt even mind it! He hated the other one i used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
I use a human baby nail clipper. I have the same one that Lexi's Mom has but Valletta gets so worked up when she sees it, I can no longer use it on her. Her nails are so small I am always afraid I'm going to get the quick with the larger one. Maybe she senses my tension. I can trim all 4 paws in under a minute with the baby clippers. I do it in the bath when I wash her paws. I trim her front paws almost every week, but her back ones only need it about once every 4 weeks. I don't wait for her front nails to get too long because I am so afraid she'll catch one on the fringe on our oriental rugs.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top