Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope some of you can please help me! My dog is pad trained (or at least I thought she was) in a certain room of the house. She is very good about going on her pads each and every day. BUT, now she is wee-weeing on my brand new white carpet in my living room. Same spot (I tried to cover it but then she goes around it). I have tried the removers to no avail...and have no idea why she keeps doing this. I don't think it is a urinary tract infection because she only does this in one spot (other than her pee pads). I have tried scolding her and even putting her in her carrying case (jail) for awhile but I dont think she understands. In the meantime, I can't keep letting her urinate on my brand new carpet and the way the room is situated (no doors) I am unsure on how to blockade it. It's the first room you see when you walk in my front doors. Any ideas on non-invasive ways (inexpensive ways) to blockage a section until I can nip this in the bud. She was so well trained and has just started doing this. I think it may be emotional but nevertheless it has to stop and I hate to put a pee pad down or she will definately mark that as a permanent place to wee wee. Any help...any suggestions would be so helpful! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kissyfur@Sep 3 2005, 07:54 PM
I hope some of you can please help me! My dog is pad trained (or at least I thought she was) in a certain room of the house. She is very good about going on her pads each and every day. BUT, now she is wee-weeing on my brand new white carpet in my living room. Same spot (I tried to cover it but then she goes around it). I have tried the removers to no avail...and have no idea why she keeps doing this. I don't think it is a urinary tract infection because she only does this in one spot (other than her pee pads). I have tried scolding her and even putting her in her carrying case (jail) for awhile but I dont think she understands. In the meantime, I can't keep letting her urinate on my brand new carpet and the way the room is situated (no doors) I am unsure on how to blockade it. It's the first room you see when you walk in my front doors. Any ideas on non-invasive ways (inexpensive ways) to blockage a section until I can nip this in the bud. She was so well trained and has just started doing this. I think it may be emotional but nevertheless it has to stop and I hate to put a pee pad down or she will definately mark that as a permanent place to wee wee. Any help...any suggestions would be so helpful! Thank you!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96754
[/QUOTE]

You're right... "punishing" her is a waste of time and not very fair to her, after all it is up to you to potty train her. One sign of a urinary tract infection and possibly other medical issues is for a once potty trained dog to start having "accidents". I would definitely rule out any medical issues by taking her to the vet. If there is no medical issue, most experts will probably say to start potty training all over again as if she is a puppy.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
What helped us with Caesar when he was pad trained (we lived in an apt that wasn't dog friendly, so we had him hidden for a little over a year.
) We are somewhere that allows them now, so he goes outside. With him we ran into if we weren't at home, he would find the nearest rug to potty on. We bought the puppy training spray from PetsMart and that really helped. We couldn't smell it but dogs can and then they know where to go to potty. The pads are scented, but like I said when we were somewhere else, it really helped when we added the spray to the pad also. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi,

What I did when my first maltese started going in inappropriate places was to place his food bowl right on the spot he had the accident in. I read it in a book that dogs will not go where they eat or sleep (wish I had the name of the book now) and it worked.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

Michelle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts