Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Is there a website or anything that describes how to give your pets CPR, or help them if they choke? I just want to know just in case, Harley coughed earlier (nothing serious) and I couldn't believe I had never thought of learning this before. Does anyone know where I can get this information? Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
It is a good idea to know what to do. My first Maltese, Rosebud, got a piece of canned dog food stuck. I didn't notice. All of a sudden she walked over to me and laid down on her side and didn't move. I didn't know what was wrong. I'm not sure what alerted me but I opened her mouth and felt the food and when I touched it, it pushed it down the right pipe, luckily. It was totally horrifying for me. Totally.

I took Rosebud to the vet right away and had her checked out and asked the vet what to do next time it happens. I'm not 100% sure I remember exactly what he said, so I don't want to mention it here as it might not be correct. But I do have First Aid sheet for dogs and here is what it says:

Choking: Look in to the mouth to see if foreign object in throat is visible. Clear the airway by removing the object with pliers or tweezers. being careful not to push it farther down the throat. If the object remains lodged, place your hands on both sides of the animal's rib cage and apply firm, quick pressure. Or place the animal on its side and strike the side of the rib cage firmly with the palm of your hand 3 or 4 times. Repeat this procedure until the object is disloged.

I do remember my vet saying that with a small dog you can follow the choking procedure as with an infant.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
I got these instructions off a web site a few months ago. Since then, I have laminated a copy and put in with Wally and Toby's records, put a copy in my office, a copy in the kitchen as well as a copy in my wallet.

Heimlich Maneuver For Dogs

Heimlich Maneuver Type 1
1.- Lay the animal on its side
2.- Put one hand on its spine and the other hand on its belly
3.- With the hand on belly, push inward and upward with quick short motions
4.- Look in mouth for object and remove.

Heimlich Maneuver Type 2
1.- Lift the animal off the ground and hold it vertically (head up and spine against your chest)
2.- With arms around belly push inward and upward with quick short motions
3.- Check mouth for object and remove.

Heimlich Maneuver Type 3
1.- Kneel behind the standing animal
2.- Place hands under belly just below the rib cage
3.- Push inward and upward with quick short motions
4.- Check mouth and remove any object.

You have about 4 minutes to do this!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'm going to print these out. I have done the heimlich once on a dog at a birthday party, and I didn't know what I was doing, but I had to at least try, and fortunately it worked. I'm so glad I know the right way now though.

Anyone know about the CPR?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts