Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you worried about picking up germs from handling your groceries. I have heard different things. Some people say wipe everything down, some say just put everything away and then wash your hands, some say let stuff sit in your garage for 72 hrs. I shop online and do curbside pickup so I don't have contact with anyone. But the store clerk shopped for my groceries and touched them plus you don't know who touches stuff in the store.
First time I wiped everything down with disinfecting wipes but went through too many wipes doing that. We can't get wipes here at all anymore so I have to ration my wipes. Next time I put fridge and freezer stuff away and let everything else sit in the storage area in the basement for 72 hours. I feel that if groceries could carry the virus and you put them away immediately, wouldn't you pick up the virus if you took the stuff out of your cupboards before 72 hrs? Just wondering what you guys all do.
Praying they find a vaccine soon so life can go back to normal and doing stuff like getting groceries wouldn't seem so complicated.
My heart is aching to be with my family again.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Kathy, I go back & forth on this---we do leave our mail in the garage for some days & we throw away all plastic bags now---I used to recycle them. I even wiped down the mail initially. We wear masks & gloves when we are out & discard the gloves properly. I even was paranoid about putting our clothes in washer immediately after we got home & we leave our shoes in the garage & wipe them down w/lysol or bleach mix. I had eczema on my hands from washing so much. We limit grocery shopping to every two weeks now, and go early in the AM on senior day. We wear long sleeves, long pants, hoodies, glasses & masks---crazy, I know.
I bought sturdy wipes & now mix up my own bleach mix. It is best only to mix a bit as it decreases in power w/each day. I use this to wipe down everything. We do clean our keyboards & phones w/alcohol. We also bought 400 pairs of disposable gloves. We order lots of our stuff online so I have Dwt. open the boxes outside & leave stuff in the garage for a while, & discard the boxes & then wash hands. We constantly are trying to remember not to touch our faces, but it isn't easy. We do practice social distancing.
When we walk K & L we try to keep our distance from others but I don't wear a mask usually when we do this as I find it too hot here already. It is heat that kills virus not cold. We do pick up hamburgers on Tues nights (half-price night) at the drive through but remove all paper & throw away the paper napkins they give & paper covering hamburger. C-virus is a "respiratory" virus, not a digestive one.
I think one can be cautious w/out being paranoid---but I am a little of both! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
If it's a paper or cardboard packaged not requiring refrigeration, I let it sit in the garage 24 hours. Not requiring refrigeration and wrapped in plastic stays out of the house for 72 hours. Anything requiring refrigeration gets wiped down for at least 20 seconds with soap and water before it goes in the refrigerator. Produce gets rinsed immediately and then put away. I then change my shirt and it goes immediately into the washer. And of course wash my hands thoroughly.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure other people were doing the same kinds of things. Since it takes sooooo long to wipe stuff down I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one thinking it's necessary. Another thing I do before I handle my groceries is remove my watch and rings to make sure germs don't get trapped under my rings. I sing Twinkle twinkle little star 2 times to make sure the hand washing is plenty long enough. :) We can't buy hand sanitizer, Lysol wipes or chorine bleach here anymore. Thankfully I have a few containers of wipes and sanitizer ahead of me and Clorox Clean-Up spray cleaner. We also can't buy masks or gloves. Canada has a shortage and even the health care workers don't have enough. They have to reuse theirs. When we walk Pipper we always cross to the other side of the street when we see someone coming but I'm always worried that when he stops to pee that someone might come up behind us and pass too close. I need eyes in the back of my head because not everyone is being as careful about the social distancing. I wonder if we will ever feel safe again to go about things normally. I will always be wondering if the virus is still out there just waiting to infect someone again.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad they don't thinking can be transmitted from food but I think I will continue to be cautious and wipe down stuff that's goes in the fridge and freezer and let everything else sit in basement for 72 hrs. Better to be safe than sorry.
I'm so happy that pets don't get sick from this.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Please don't think less of me or ban me from SM. But the honest answer to this question for me is I don't do anything different with my groceries than I did before the "dreaded virus". I was so tempted to just not reply to this post but I decided to bare my soul to all my friends here on SM.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please don't think less of me or ban me from SM. But the honest answer to this question for me is I don't do anything different with my groceries than I did before the "dreaded virus". I was so tempted to just not reply to this post but I decided to bare my soul to all my friends here on SM.
None of my 4 kids do anything different to their groceries either so you're not the only one.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
What has majorly changed for me in grocery shopping - besides the obvious of long lines and masks (which are now required - you are not allowed in any store if you do not have a mask). I used to love to read labels & ingredients on cans and packages. Now I feel like "If you touch it you buy it." I also used to love feeling the produce and searching to find the firmest zucchinis, cucumbers etc. or turning an apple to see if it had any brown spots apples. Now I have to look with my eyes only. I hate how I can't see peoples faces or share a smile or chit chat with other shoppers. Will things ever get back to how they were???

·
Premium Member
24,088 Posts
Kathy I wear a mask when I go shopping and gloves, Lorin puts the groceries in the cart.
At first I washed everything but it just was so overwhelming for me and I found myself feeling defeated because of the what if's and getting depressed by the whole thing
Now I am careful but living life a little more free like before this when it comes to groceries

I still stay at least 6ft away from others and when I am out I have to keep reminding myself that I need to be aware more of others, they can be so stupid and only think of their needs only

I wish I could send you gloves, masks etc. So glad you have things stocked before all this
Its a shame all the world was caught off guard by this coronvirus, so many lives lost, so many sick, so many in fear, so many mourning the lost of their precious loved ones.I pray the peace of God over each of us

I believe things need to slowly change, we humans were not made to live apart from one another
This coronvirus is horrifying but I am worried about what is happening to people's mental health, it might be worse
if things don't SLOWLY get back to our new normal.
I'm worried about the impact on everyone and everything
I can't imagine not spending time with my family I miss them so

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What has majorly changed for me in grocery shopping - besides the obvious of long lines and masks (which are now required - you are not allowed in any store if you do not have a mask). I used to love to read labels & ingredients on cans and packages. Now I feel like "If you touch it you buy it." I also used to love feeling the produce and searching to find the firmest zucchinis, cucumbers etc. or turning an apple to see if it had any brown spots apples. Now I have to look with my eyes only. I hate how I can't see peoples faces or share a smile or chit chat with other shoppers. Will things ever get back to how they were???
It makes me want to cry when I think that things might never get back to the way it used to be. I wish we could wake up and find this was all just a dream.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kathy I wear a mask when I go shopping and gloves, Lorin puts the groceries in the cart.
At first I washed everything but it just was so overwhelming for me and I found myself feeling defeated because of the what if's and getting depressed by the whole thing
Now I am careful but living life a little more free like before this when it comes to groceries

I still stay at least 6ft away from others and when I am out I have to keep reminding myself that I need to be aware more of others, they can be so stupid and only think of their needs only

I wish I could send you gloves, masks etc. So glad you have things stocked before all this
Its a shame all the world was caught off guard by this coronvirus, so many lives lost, so many sick, so many in fear, so many mourning the lost of their precious loved ones.I pray the peace of God over each of us

I believe things need to slowly change, we humans were not made to live apart from one another
This coronvirus is horrifying but I am worried about what is happening to people's mental health, it might be worse
if things don't SLOWLY get back to our new normal.
I'm worried about the impact on everyone and everything
I can't imagine not spending time with my family I miss them so
I know how you feel Paula about missing family. I hurt inside because I miss them so much.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
i'm with you. I don't do anything special when I bring the groceries in other than be careful not to touch my face or eyes and I wash my hands when I come into the house and again when I am through putting everything away. I also wear a mask in the store and wipe my hands with a wipe before getting into my car.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm with you. I don't do anything special when I bring the groceries in other than be careful not to touch my face or eyes and I wash my hands when I come into the house and again when I am through putting everything away. I also wear a mask in the store and wipe my hands with a wipe before getting into my car.
I have to admit that it's a pain in the butt doing all this stuff but I know what I'm like and I would get myself all paranoid afterwards if I didn't do it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts