Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious what amount yall usually tip. Usually for a reastrant I will leave like 20% but I have no idea what is right for other things like taxis, hair cuts, getting your nails done that type stuff. Its just something that seems to come up a lot and I wanted to see whats a normal amount.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Jun 5 2005, 05:42 PM
I was curious what amount yall usually tip.  Usually for a reastrant I will leave like 20% but I have no idea what is right for other things like taxis, hair cuts, getting your nails done that type stuff.  Its just something that seems to come up a lot and I wanted to see whats a normal amount.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69297
[/QUOTE]

I've always heard 15-20% for just about everything that requires a tip.

·
Registered
363 Posts
For restaurants I usually tip 15%. For the groomer, she charges $25 and I tip $5, for the lady who does my nails she charges $22 and I tip $5. I sort of round it up.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Jun 5 2005, 04:42 PM
I was curious what amount yall usually tip.  Usually for a reastrant I will leave like 20% but I have no idea what is right for other things like taxis, hair cuts, getting your nails done that type stuff.  Its just something that seems to come up a lot and I wanted to see whats a normal amount.
[/QUOTE]
I think any tip should be dependent on the quality of service. If it's average, it might be as little as 15%. It it's exceptional, it might be as much as 25%. When I get horrible service (or none at all), I don't leave anything. Then, the next person who goes extra to make my experience enjoyable gets the money I didn't give to the bad wait staff/taxi driver/etc. In a restaurant, there are two things that can really set me off. One is to have to wait for or ask for additonal beverages (within a reasonable time), and anyone calling me "honey" or "baby". I often go in to eat after finishing a day with my patients. Don't get me wrong, I am not a snob about my title, but, it's hard to go from doctor to baby, especially since this person doesn't know me at all. I think for a waiter/waitress to use these names with anyone is an insult.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou+Jun 5 2005, 04:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Jun 5 2005, 04:42 PM
I think any tip should be dependent on the quality of service. If it's average, it might be as little as 15%. It it's exceptional, it might be as much as 25%. When I get horrible service (or none at all), I don't leave anything. Then, the next person who goes extra to make my experience enjoyable gets the money I didn't give to the bad wait staff/taxi driver/etc. In a restaurant, there are two things that can really set me off. One is to have to wait for or ask for additonal beverages (within a reasonable time), and anyone calling me "honey" or "baby". I often go in to eat after finishing a day with my patients. Don't get me wrong, I am not a snob about my title, but, it's hard to go from doctor to baby, especially since this person doesn't know me at all. I think for a waiter/waitress to use these names with anyone is an insult.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69306]

I understand how you feel. I didn't realize that offended some people. I am guilty of that all the time. I, as a customer, always call people honey or sweetie. I think it comes from not being very popular as a kid. I am making up for it by being overly friendly to everyone. Maybe, I will think twice before I use names like that from now on.

[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My avg tip is 15%. But it really does depend on service. Quality of service could change my tip from 0 to 25%. When I buy drinks, I usually tip at least a dollar. I wonder if that's too much?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou+Jun 5 2005, 05:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lilly521
@Jun 5 2005, 04:42 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69306
[/B][/QUOTE]

Are you in the south? I've noticed in the south that terms of endearment like "honey" and "sweetie" are said just to be nice. It is sort of used to let people know you like them and as a way to show friendliness. I realize it gets the opposite reaction sometimes.

It bothers me when a man calls me those names but if it is a waitress I just figure that she is trying to be nice and it doesn't bother me. I'm not a doctor but I do go from being an Exec. VP to "honey" and the like, sometimes, and it is almost refreshing... takes me from the business world to a world of friendliness and kindness!

I sometimes find myself using those terms and it is a habit that is hard to break. When I use one, I am letting the person know that I like them and I'm trying to not be intimidating but rather I'm trying to get on their wave length.

It's hard to explain... I'm probably not doing a very good job of it!! Right, sweetie.. JUST KIDDING!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I have asked people this before I have gotten some crazy answers and I am so glad that I am not the only one who keeps it simple lol. Someone was trying to explain it to me once how it depends what ype of food you order how much you tip and all sorts of weird stuff. My dad must be one of the cheapest tipers (hmmm is that a word its looks wrong) every his highest tip for really great service, like he is still talking about it an hour later it was so great is 15%, I usually add money to the tip while he isnt looking while I am out with him lol. I get nervous about leaving a tip at the nail place becuase you always pay right before they put on the polish and I feel like if I dont give the right about they will screw it up.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Yes, I'm from the South---good ole Mississippi. I think where some of the problem I have with people 1/2 my age calling me "baby" is that I'm so upset when I hear one of the staff call one of my patients this. In most cases, I call all of them Mr./Mrs. as they are my elders, and I feel I owe them respect. Some have asked to call me by my first name, which is fine, and I do the same. With them being in a nursing home, they have lost so much of their dignity, and it does grate on my nerves to see a nursing assistant call them "baby". It didn't bother me until I started this type work, and I guess I just carried my resentment on into restaurants. When a 20 year old is taking my order, and calls me "baby", I want to slap them

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 5 2005, 06:41 PM
Yes, I'm from the South---good ole Mississippi.  I think where some of the problem I have with people 1/2 my age calling me "baby" is that I'm so upset when I hear one of the staff call one of my patients this.  In most cases, I call all of them Mr./Mrs. as they are my elders, and I feel I owe them respect.  Some have asked to call me by my first name, which is fine, and I do the same.  With them being in a nursing home, they have lost so much of their dignity, and it does grate on my nerves to see a nursing assistant call them "baby".  It didn't bother me until I started this type work, and I guess I just carried my resentment on into restaurants.  When a 20 year old is taking my order, and calls me "baby", I want to slap them

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69332
[/QUOTE]

LOL i understand what you're talking about
my grandmother has severe alzheimers and it kills me to see them call her "little girl", "sweetie", and so many more..

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 5 2005, 07:41 PM
Yes, I'm from the South---good ole Mississippi.  I think where some of the problem I have with people 1/2 my age calling me "baby" is that I'm so upset when I hear one of the staff call one of my patients this.  In most cases, I call all of them Mr./Mrs. as they are my elders, and I feel I owe them respect.  Some have asked to call me by my first name, which is fine, and I do the same.  With them being in a nursing home, they have lost so much of their dignity, and it does grate on my nerves to see a nursing assistant call them "baby".  It didn't bother me until I started this type work, and I guess I just carried my resentment on into restaurants.  When a 20 year old is taking my order, and calls me "baby", I want to slap them

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69332
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about the elderly. My mom was in an assisted living home and I really thought it was so nice the way they called her Mrs. xx. But I do believe she called them "honey"... that was just her!! She did not mean it in a condescending way... just her way of letting them know she liked them.

I can live with the "honey", "sweetie" , etc... what really bothers me is when someone calls me "ma'am.". I don't mind it as in "Yes, Ma'am". But I don't like it when people use it first as in, "Ma'am, can you come over here..."

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i'm like mr. pink in reservoir dogs.....these people are getting paid by their employers to do their job

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If an older person calls a young girl or young woman "honey" or "sweetie" it sounds alright. But a young person calling an older person the same thing when that person could be their mother, is bad manners (I cannot say insulting because they don't intend to insult). If somebody calls me "honey" at my ripe age, I find it laughable. I don't think that at my age I still look like a "honey".

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Well in the good old land of Oz, tips are not expected for serviced rendered. Since moving over here to the US I have learned to tip good service, like the groomer and my hairdresser, I usually give $5 to each. I leave the rest to hubby.
As for how I want to be addressed, well it depends on who it is I guess and where I am at the time. I do find the American people are very freindly and quite often use freindlier and more endearing terms of address more freely. Usually in Australia it's the cheeky blokes who use the babe and honey phrase when they see a cute looking chick. Other than that we were brought up to respect our elders and use the proper manners when speaking to our piers. I think it is more a culture thing here for me where I notice the difference. Maam over here is used more often with respect than not when a child or younger person is addressing an adult, at least that is how I have found it here.
With my doctor back home, we were on a first name basis, and I must admit it took me a long time to call him by his first name because most doctors were referred to as Dr. and patients were Mrs or Miss followed by the sir name. When I was growning up first name basis between Dr. and patient was never heard of.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I usually tip 15-20% for most places, like restaurants, hair dressers... For the valet, I usually tip $2-5 depending on the situation (how long I waited to get my car, etc...)
Heres a tip I got from a friend ( idin't know, I carry a tip card w/ me
) whatever your bill is @ a restaurant, divide it by 5 and that should be the tip. If you guys knew that, then oops!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
california's sale tax is 8.25%

so i just multiply 2 of what the sales tax is on the receipt and leave a little less since 8.25 times 2 = 16.5 ..

if i liked the service i just give them the multiply 2 amount

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I usually leave 10-30%...depends on where.
My hairdresser I usually give 10-15%. She is not used to tips anyway...she says the majority of people don't tip her. If I know she has worked me in, or if she has had to do both my squirmy kids, I give her a little more.

I don't get my nails done, use valet service, or have taxi's...so I don't know about those. :D

BUT, if I go to a restaurant...I ALWAYS leave a tip...even if it is poor service. I guess that is because I was a waitress in college. It is HARD work! There are so many behind the scenes things going on that customers don't always know about. I try to keep an open mind and look around. If I can tell my server is run ragged, I try to have a heart...show them that I am being patient...when they actually look like they are trying. Many times if you tell them that you understand and you can tell they are overworked, it will relax them and make it easier on them.
Now IF I see my server taking a smoke break, or talking in the corner to whomever...or rolling napkins instead of taking care of customers, then I am not as nice and generous...but I always leave SOMETHING. When I waited tables...we got less than $3.00 an hour...I really relied on my tips to make that job worth something...and I worked hard!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jun 6 2005, 05:31 AM
I usually leave 10-30%...depends on where.
My hairdresser I usually give 10-15%. She is not used to tips anyway...she says the majority of people don't tip her.  If I know she has worked me in, or if she has had to do both my squirmy kids, I give her a little more.

I don't get my nails done, use valet service, or have taxi's...so I don't know about those. :D

BUT, if I go to a restaurant...I ALWAYS leave a tip...even if it is poor service. I guess that is because I was a waitress in college. It is HARD work! There are so many behind the scenes things going on that customers don't always know about. I try to keep an open mind and look around. If I can tell my server is run ragged, I try to have a heart...show them that I am being patient...when they actually look like they are trying. Many times if you tell them that you understand and you can tell they are overworked, it will relax them and make it easier on them.
Now IF I see my server taking a smoke break, or talking in the corner to whomever...or rolling napkins instead of taking care of customers, then I am not as nice and generous...but I always leave SOMETHING. When I waited tables...we got less than $3.00 an hour...I really relied on my tips to make that job worth something...and I worked hard! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69462
[/QUOTE]

I always leave a tip at a restaurant, too. If the service is poor I leave 12-15%. If the service is average I leave 20% and if it is really great I might leave 25%. My husband did some free surgery on the dog groomer so I don't pay them, therefore I give her a $10 tip (for Jolie). The lady that grooms Sassy and Sadie lets me bring them in at 10:30, go have lunch and pick them right up. She stops everything to groom them and gets them both done in about 2.5 hours. She charges me $52 for both dogs and I tip $15 because she is so accommodating. My hair and pedicure people get 20%. Last year in Europe I tipped like I tip in the US and everyone loved me. It took me the better part of the trip to realize that tipping isn't what it is in the this country. I actually had cabbies trying to give me money back. The one area of tipping that I'm not so good with is leaving a tip for the hotel maid. If I stay at a nice resort for more than a day I do try to leave a few dollars on the bed. Mostly I tend to forget all about it.

Its funny how different people react to different things. I don't mind honey, sweetie, or ma'am. I'll answer to anything as long as it isn't "hey you". Guess our differences make us interesting.

PS I've been out of town for a week. Heading home tomorrow - just checking boards real quick.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Well heres a good example... this weekend... my bf and I got pizza at the Ocean City Boardwalk in NJ... we ate in.. the bill was $8.50... he left $5 for a tip.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts