Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 17 year old other breed small dog was prescribed Metacam, and it was like he was like a new dog! Unfortunately, after being on it for over 3 months, he seems to be having some adverse side effects recently. He has had g.i. issues and his kidney values are up, though not in a critical range at this time. The vet suggests a week off Metacam, and then perhaps a half dose or perhaps a different medicine. Galliprant did little for him before. She mentioned Gabapentin, which he got when he had a back injury. But that is not an anti- inflammatory. The vet seemed to think some side effects are a good trade-off at his age, but I am not sure I agree, as there is nothing else wrong with him except being very hard of hearing. But he is so happy and peppy despite the recent g.i. upsets.

So I would be interested in hearing how others have treated their senior dogs for arthtitic pain.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
My holistic vet has Tessa on Mobility Flex by Vetriscience. It's their professional formula so it has to come from the vet; not the one you can order OTC. That, along with eucommia from TCM keeps her comfortable all day. Tessa will be 15 we believe this fall and remember that she only has three legs so her shoulders and hips have been taking a beating. She also gets a chiropractic adjustment every four weeks which makes a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,136 Posts
THIS is a great ? & I will be following w/interest. Due to his double knee surgery & some lameness in the back legs Kitzi is also in need of relief. He does have a serious heart condition that might negate some of the suggestions but would talk it over w/his cardiologist first. I know he is in pain w/his joints.
edit: Kitzi has also been scripted w/Metacam but I have stopped using it on a regular basis as I was afraid of side-effects.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think one of my other dogs was on Metacam for quite a while and did okay on it. That would be Spunky, who had 3 knee surgeries.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not mean to offend. Sorry. I was hoping a google search would yield some reviews or discussion of this product, but my quick search did not find any. However some of the ingredients are discussed favorably elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
10,396 Posts
I did not mean to offend. Sorry. I was hoping a google search would yield some reviews or discussion of this product, but my quick search did not find any. However some of the ingredients are discussed favorably elsewhere.
No offense taken - I just have no confidence in the FDA after what they’ve done in the dog food area.

My holistic vet recommends this over pain meds for his patients. He has over 20 years experience in alternative veterinary practice and several major vet schools send students to him for field training in that specialty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prescription NSAIDs like carprofen and meloxicam have a very good safety and efficacy record. In my opinion, the risk of side effects is well worth the benefit. These drugs can give your arthritic pet a significant boost in quality of life with minimal risk.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,136 Posts
I have used CBD oil in the past but when my own liver enzymes kicked up (I took huge doses for pain) I researched it & found out it can elevate liver enzymes in some people. I have been off of it for a couple of months & will do blood work in Aug. myself to find out if that is the cause. I also went off a fungus medication which I have taken for several years which might be the culprit so not sure how I will know. All of this to say medication & supplements will many times cause issues for one person( & not another)---so far Kitzi's are ok---mine were not! :unsure:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 17 year old other breed small dog was prescribed Metacam, and it was like he was like a new dog! Unfortunately, after being on it for over 3 months, he seems to be having some adverse side effects recently. He has had g.i. issues and his kidney values are up, though not in a critical range at this time. The vet suggests a week off Metacam, and then perhaps a half dose or perhaps a different medicine. Galliprant did little for him before. She mentioned Gabapentin, which he got when he had a back injury. But that is not an anti- inflammatory. The vet seemed to think some side effects are a good trade-off at his age, but I am not sure I agree, as there is nothing else wrong with him except being very hard of hearing. But he is so happy and peppy despite the recent g.i. upsets.

So I would be interested in hearing how others have treated their senior dogs for arthtitic pain.
CBD oil for pets. Mine wouldn’t be walking without it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have used CBD oil in the past but when my own liver enzymes kicked up (I took huge doses for pain) I researched it & found out it can elevate liver enzymes in some people. I have been off of it for a couple of months & will do blood work in Aug. myself to find out if that is the cause. I also went off a fungus medication which I have taken for several years which might be the culprit so not sure how I will know. All of this to say medication & supplements will many times cause issues for one person( & not another)---so far Kitzi's are ok---mine were not! :unsure:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts