Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been noticing this particular phrase a lot, in terms of talking about potty training and such: "after a period of vigorous play with your puppy, take him to potty",
etc. etc. And people do often talk about playing with their dog.

But since I've never had a dog before, I don't really know what this means to everybody else!!

When I play with Jack, I get down on the floor on my hands and knees, like I'm a pup too, smiling and with my arms splayed out (you know, like the dogs do when they're in play-mode!
) and I'm like "come on! play! Jacky! good boy" and stuff, high pitched. then he will run at me, mouth open, tongue lolling
and pounce! and jump wiggling, squeaking, wiggling. Jumps all over me, like wrestling, I will push him down and wave my arms around his face and he tries to get me :lol: and it's just madness.

When we go for walks, he'll run ahead of me as far as the leash will let him (18 feet), then stop and wait for me to go all the way past him until the leash is all the way extended behind me, and then he'll RACE the whole way to me and past me until the leash stops again, then turns and looks at me like "you are so SLOW!" :D Or I'll run with him on the leash through the tall grass because he loves to bound around like a bunny rabbit

When we're inside, I'll run down the hall and let him chase me, and then I'll turn around and chase him back! Or I'll play "fetch" with any of his toys I can find... Or sometimes I'll play "tug" with a toy or a rope or something (but only a little, and I always make him "let go" at the end so that he knows that I always win "tug" eventually)...

Sometimes I'll lay on the floor and let him lick me and climb on me and I laugh, and he likes when I laugh, he licks my face more and snorts/sniffs at my breath

Sometimes I feel like i'm a crazy person playing with my dog like this!

What do YOU all do when you "play" with your pups? I want to know so I can get more ideas of fun stuff to do with him... and to be sure I'm not crazy!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I consider fetch to be vigorous play. Tuffy and Pixie are WORN out after we play fetch. That's one of my favorite games with them.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
If we are vigorous playing in the house- I have this cat toy with a bell and feathers on the end and I just jiggled that all around and after about 10 minutes of that she is BEAT. If we arent playing with the cat toy we are playing fetch...well more like i am throwing the toy, she runs after it, and then chews it across the room until i go over there and throw it to the other side of room again because she hasnt gotten the concept of bringing it back to me. If we are playing vigorous outside- i run around and she chases me. I love that they are so tiny and they get tired so fast...I dont think I would have enough energy to keep up with a bigger dog. My brother's dog can play for hourssss on end before he even takes a break to sit down. Just another reason the maltese is such a perfect breed!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tyler likes to wrestle with hands, and he loves running around like crazy back and forth! It entertains me too!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
If you're crazy for playing with Jack like that, then I must be too
The boys entertain themselves and really get into games of chase inside the house and outside. Even though we have like a half million toys, they always want the one that the other has
They chase each other and pounce and roll around. I love playing fetch with Peanut (Tic hasn't figured out that he has to bring the toy back yet
). We use a floppy fabric frisbee or a mini tennis ball. The worst game that they play is that they steal my socks while I'm getting dressed. I swear, they think that if I don't have my socks then I won't leave them to go to work. Between the 3 of us, I feel like they are playing monkey in the middle with me
These guys are the best

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Ditto...if you're crazy, then so am I. Paris loves to play fetch and tug of war. She also likes to do the Puppy Nascar 500. Around and around the coffee table and then jumping up on the couch and flopping down. She is just too funny to watch sometimes! She also loves her walks. Yesterday, someone had just watered their yard and she flopped down and just started rolling and rolling and rolling...well, you get the picture. She looked like a drowned rat when she got finished.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's crazy playing with my pup!! Today there was much climbing and jumping on me when I got home, it was the longest I'd ever left him alone: 7 hours!!! Poor baby. He was so good though and he was SO HAPPY to see me when I got home!! I love this boy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts