Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some posts where the dogs hair becomes red because of a red outfit. How do I prevent that~or should I just stay away from red clothing all together?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by Msloke@Aug 11 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure but probably would be a good idea to wash it once or twice (or more) to see if any red dye comes out in wash.  Maybe wash by hand if concerned washer will damage and air dry.  I know my burgundy colored bath towels still will get anything white dyed pink if accidently washed together and they have been washed a lot....and it doesn't come out. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89629
[/QUOTE]
Oh, I'll be sure to wash it extra, thanks for the tip, I wouldnt want to have to shave my dog because of that!!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by AJ+Aug 11 2005, 05:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Msloke
@Aug 11 2005, 05:25 PM
I'm not sure but probably would be a good idea to wash it once or twice (or more) to see if any red dye comes out in wash.  Maybe wash by hand if concerned washer will damage and air dry.  I know my burgundy colored bath towels still will get anything white dyed pink if accidently washed together and they have been washed a lot....and it doesn't come out. 

Oh, I'll be sure to wash it extra, thanks for the tip, I wouldnt want to have to shave my dog because of that!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89630
[/B][/QUOTE]

when are you getting your dog?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by puppylucy+Aug 11 2005, 05:49 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2005, 05:33 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Msloke
@Aug 11 2005, 05:25 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89630

[/QUOTE]

when are you getting your dog?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89639
[/B][/QUOTE]
Looks like a while

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
This is what happens...

I washed that shirt four times and it still stains. I finally gave it to my cousin who has a dark haired dog.

It was a cheap shirt from Petsmart, I would think maybe upper end clothing wouldn't do that.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Nichole@Aug 11 2005, 06:26 PM
This is what happens...

I washed that shirt four times and it still stains.  I finally gave it to my cousin who has a dark haired dog. 

It was a cheap shirt from Petsmart, I would think maybe upper end clothing wouldn't do that.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89667
[/QUOTE]
Thats what made me post this!!! I was so afraid when I saw poor Toby!! I'll stay away from PetSmart I guess

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Aug 11 2005, 06:26 PM
This is what happens...

I washed that shirt four times and it still stains.  I finally gave it to my cousin who has a dark haired dog. 

[/QUOTE]

OMG!!!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by puppylucy+Aug 11 2005, 06:29 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Aug 11 2005, 06:26 PM
This is what happens...

OMG!!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89670
[/B][/QUOTE]
Not too funny when he had to get his hair shaved!!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Msloke@Aug 11 2005, 07:10 PM
I just thought of something else.  When I was in Hawaii I bought a red dirt shirt, which basically is a tshirt that is dyed with the red dirt of the islands.  That stuff is terrible to get out,  hence the local custom there of removing shoes before entering houses.  Anyway, I remember there was a tag on it when I bought it that said to soak in vinegar and water to set the dye then wash normally before wearing it.  I'll try to find the tag from the shirt and post what it says.  I guess is kinda the same prinicple to set the dye like you do when coloring easter eggs.  As I recall, used vinegar with the egg dyes to set them too so wouldn't rub off.

I don't see where that would hurt and might set the color.  And it doesn't smell like vinegar once is washed.  I'll look this weekend, I know I need to straighten up the room where I think it is. 

Found this on the internet (guess now I don't have to straighten that room 
)

To preserve the Original Red Dirt color:

Soak shirt(s) in one quart vinegar and one gallon hot water until water cools.
Pour mixture into washer and wash in cold water.
Dry completely on hot setting.  (my note:  I didn't put mine in dryer, put on hanger to air dry cause wasn't sure if it would shrink)

vinegar as mordant

Maintaining the looks of a garment is mostly a matter of discipline. Washing too frequently, using hot water and harsh detergents, overheating during drying, excessive exposure to sunlight: all these are to be avoided.

One other factor may be the use of a mordant before the first washing.

mor·dant (môr'dnt) noun
    A reagent, such as tannic acid, that fixes dyes to cells, tissues, or textiles or other materials.

A mordant is a chemical agent which allows a reaction to occur between the dye and fabric. The choice of mordant depends upon the fabric. An alkali mordant, such as soda ash, works well with cottons; an acid mordant, such as vinegar, works well with wool.

A solution of vinegar and water will set any color that runs if an acid mordant was used. An acid will not alter colorfastness if an alkali mordant has been used. Since I'm unsure what mordant was used by the manufacturer of the cottons which make up the Utilikilt I'm going on past experiences.

On one of my trips to Kaua'i, Hawai'i, I came across the Red Dirt Shirt; cotton tee-shirts stained in the island's red clay soil. The washing instructions suggested soaking the garment in vinegar for a short while before washing. Since I'd seen other people's faded shirts I gave it a try. My two-year-old shirts are still sport the original reddish-brown color. So with that success behind me I give my Utilikilt a bath in vinegar before its first wash.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89690
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting that!!! I'll have to try

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the vinegar works like a charm. i always used to do that with brightly colored swimsuits so they would not fade in the summer (i lived near the beach at the time, always wearing a suit, lol).

also, be careful about putting a collar/harness on right after you've applied a flea topical like frontline. it was still wet when i took buttercup out one night (she was barely a year old) and when we came back in, i thought "OMG who stabbed my dog in the neck???" (yes, i was right next to her the whole time, i'd certainly have CAUGHT that...a stabbing stranger in the night...at least I hope I'd have caught that...)....

we still have that red collar and laugh like crazy about it.

ann marie and the "what wont kill me will only make me cuter" buttercup

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by TheButtercup@Aug 11 2005, 07:47 PM
the vinegar works like a charm.  i always used to do that with brightly colored swimsuits so they would not fade in the summer (i lived near the beach at the time, always wearing a suit, lol). 

also, be careful about putting a collar/harness on right after you've applied a flea topical like frontline.  it was still wet when i took buttercup out one night (she was barely a year old) and when we came back in, i thought "OMG who stabbed my dog in the neck???" (yes, i was right next to her the whole time, i'd certainly have CAUGHT that...a stabbing stranger in the night...at least I hope I'd have caught that...)....

we still have that red collar and laugh like crazy about it. 

ann marie and the "what wont kill me will only make me cuter" buttercup
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=89704
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip, I wouldnt want that to happen!!!

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
It was actually okay for me, I personally found it funny. I left him like that for a few days and we all had a good laugh at my lil' punk rocker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts