Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we are talking about dog food I thought I would ask a question I've been meaning to post. What is a good puppy dry food? Lexi really liked the Innova Puppy food but I think the pieces would be too big for a small puppy (young). I was wondering what others are feeding. If possible post the ingredients of the food.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i dunno if this is a PUPPY food, but the pieces are tiny and my vet + groomer both said that it had all the necessary nutrients in it.

i posted the ingredients here. it's called "Solid Gold" holistic foods. it comes in a really cute shiny pink package
perfect for your new lil girl!?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I am feeding Buddy (5 months) Artamis , it is for all life stages and holsitic i think better then Innova Chico was on Innova for a while but i didnt want him eting the puppy food too much fat so i was looking for something they could both eat that came in small bites and Artimis won ,though for me the only drawback is i have to order it on line and it gets expensive 12..99 /6 pounds plus $6 to ship but they are malts and dont eat a huge amount .Good luck! ~ Denise

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 5 2005, 11:03 AM
i dunno if this is a PUPPY food, but the pieces are tiny and my vet + groomer both said that it had all the necessary nutrients in it.

i posted the ingredients here. it's called "Solid Gold" holistic foods. it comes in a really cute shiny pink package
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60080
[/QUOTE]
The clerk at the dog food place recommended that one but I was concerned that it was an all age type food. Is that ok for a small growing puppy? I thought puppies needed more calories?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 5 2005, 11:09 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 5 2005, 11:03 AM

The clerk at the dog food place recommended that one but I was concerned that it was an all age type food. Is that ok for a small growing puppy? I thought puppies needed more calories?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60084
[/B][/QUOTE]

i'm pretty sure it has enough calories.. i was worried about it too so i took the food into my vet and she said it was ok.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I use Artemis too. The pieces are small and it is second behind Innova in my pet food store owner's opinion if that matters. The one thing I noticed in soaking it down to soften it for this teething\not eating stage, is that it is VERY hard. I dont know if that is the fact that it is not all carbs (which is a good thing), but more dried meat products so it absorbs liquid more slowly than something with say alot of corn or things with a more bread type consistency, etc. If I leave it sit long, maybe an hour, it will finally mush with a fork.

I'm with Lucy, New little girl??

·
Registered
226 Posts
i use eukanuba for tessa. both my vets recommend it. i think someone posted something about it not being all that great but tessa seems to like it. you guys may think i'm nuts but my rottweiler, morgan, was on SCIENCE DIET for most of her early puppyhood but now she loves BENEFUL!!! it's probably such doggie junk food.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No new little girl yet. Still haven't heard from the breeder yet. I think I'm going to call tonight. I have just been thinking about this. I have puppy fever right now. I've been good though and haven't bought anything yet. I've started a list of things I need to get though.

Yesterday I was having second thoughts on spending $1500 on a puppy. If this breeder doesn't have a little girl I might rethink spending that much.

I wonder if my pet food store could order Artemis for me? Hmm might have to ask the owner.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Yesterday I was having second thoughts on spending $1500 on a puppy. If this breeder doesn't have a little girl I might rethink spending that much.[/B]
but a puppy lasts forever!!

make sure that whatever you do, you're comfortable w/ it

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 5 2005, 11:16 AM
No new little girl yet.  Still haven't heard from the breeder yet.  I think I'm going to call tonight.  I have just been thinking about this.  I have puppy fever right now.  I've been good though and haven't bought anything yet.  I've started a list of things I need to get though. 

Yesterday I was having second thoughts on spending $1500 on a puppy. If this breeder doesn't have a little girl I might rethink spending that much.

I wonder if my pet food store could order Artemis for me?  Hmm might have to ask the owner.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60091
[/QUOTE]

Well I am going to be just as excited waiting for this new girl puppy if its now or later. I agree with Lucy- make sure you're comfy. I went through the same thing, I had a hard time deciding to spend alot of $ too. I dont have to tell you but once you have her you will be thrilled and you'd do it all over again in a minute!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 5 2005, 12:09 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppylucy
@May 5 2005, 11:03 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60084
[/B][/QUOTE]
I feed the boys Artemis Small Breed (all life stages) and what you do is for the puppy the serving size is double what is listed on the bag. In the beginning I was worried that if the boys ate from the same bowl I wouldn't be able to tell how much each of them ate so I just fed Tic in his crate and left Peanut's food in the kitchen. I just thought it'd be easier to have one dog food in the house because Peanut's little tummy can't tolerate a lot of the other foods out there. I guess I'm pretty spoiled by my guys because now I feed them from the same bowl and they both eat the right amount. Just so you know Tic is up to almost 4 pounds now....He was 3 lbs 7 oz 2 weeks ago. He's definately getting enough calories from an all lofe stage food. He's a tank compared to Peanut.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I forgot to add, I was searching online to see if anyone carried a sample bag of Artemis (if anyone remembers, I spent a small fortune trying to find a food that Peanut would eat) and there are some ebay stores that sell the 6 pound bags. I don't remember the price but what I pay at the local pet store is $14 for 6.6 pounds. If it's that hard for you to find I would be happy to send a bag to you. Or even just a little ziplock bag with some for you to try.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 5 2005, 11:55 AM
I forgot to add, I was searching online to see if anyone carried a sample bag of Artemis (if anyone remembers, I spent a small fortune trying to find a food that Peanut would eat) and there are some ebay stores that sell the 6 pound bags.  I don't remember the price but what I pay at the local pet  store is $14 for 6.6 pounds.  If it's that hard for you to find I would be happy to send a bag to you.  Or even just a little ziplock bag with some for you to try.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60112
[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I will let you know when (or if) I decide to get a puppy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Funny you asked. After my post about biting paws, I thought I'd go get some Innova last night. My local independant pet shop (that has the most awesome selection and the very best advice!) doesn't carry it, but told me about a few other brands to consider that have human-grade and nutritious ingredients. I chose Canidae (http://www.canidae.com) and Angus loved it!

I feel so good that I'm feeding him high quality food and that it's so nutritious. Nothin' but the best for my baby!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The breeder had recommended Eukanuba for Beastie, and while he ate it, he didn't seem to really enjoy it much. After a lot of experimentation, I found this: link

Beastie seems to prefer it, but I still find myself drawn to foodshelves in the pet stores and reading labels like a fiend. PetsMart doesn't have Innova or Artemis. I have yet to see him as enamored of dog food as he is of human food of any kind. Wonder if I am expecting too much. Does anyone else use "Blue"?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 5 2005, 12:27 PM
Just let me know!  Good luck on what you decide!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=60126
[/QUOTE]
Little peanut how is tic doing ???? like tic buddy is growing so big i cant tell them aprt anymore by size!
they are on the Artimis and love it buddy was alos 4 pounds at his 15 week shots wih the vet thanks about the info on ebay selling artimis i am gonna check it out right now i wanna hear all about your puppy!!! pm me

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well I admit to paying alot for Summer told husband we paid $1,000.00 when we really paid $1,500.00 He came home from a business trip and wanted to see this dog we spent so much money on and he lies on the floor and she starts chewing on his ear and he says to Jaimie our daughter ( her pup) I would have paid $2,000.00 for her.. He's such a softy when it comes down to it. now he gets her at night and says are you ready for bed. :lol: :lol: of course she sleeps with us
poor Jaimie she was afraid she would roll over on her when she was little ( which she might have) so she slept with us and now thats where she goes when its time for bed ( ps dad and I love it) :lol: But I must say I feel like I have my babies in the bed again ( no room for mom) Between husband and Summer
She loves to be right next to you for the body heat I'm sure

She is worth every cent would do it again in a heart beat

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
the buttercup has been thru several types of kibble. no particular reason, either LOL. the only one she doesnt actually LIKE is nutro. wait, she DOES like it...IT just doesnt like HER...
TMI, i know LOL. she is currently on a blend of chicken soup for he dog lover's soul and flint river ranch. i tried the baked kibble from petsmart (their brand, authority, i think?) and she doesnt really like it too much. flint river is impossible to find around here, so i think she's going to stick to just the chicken soup kind. i also toss in a spoon of merrick's thanksgiving day dinner canned food, just for fun. then we have gerber apple crunchies for dessert.

(i say "WE" like I eat them too, lol)

ann marie and the "when do i get steak'n'taters like grandma'n'grandpa's dog????" buttercup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts