Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dumbest thing I think I ever did was the day I got a bright idea
and put gel formula baby oil on my hands and then applied it to Sassy's coat.
I should be ashamed to admit doing anything so DUMB !!!
Her coat was feeling a little dry and I thought the oil would help the coat. WRONG
Poor Sassy
My hands kinda stuck when they meet her coat. And the baby oil just soaked into one spot about the size of my hands.
I know that it took at least three weeks of shampooing (once a week) to get that mess out of her hair. And the kicker is that the oil did not do a darn thing for her hair.
What was I thinking?

I know I'm not the only
one out here. What funny thing have you ladies (guys too) done thinking it would be nice for your little unsuspecting fur baby?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
give them a homemade haircut.....again and again and again (still haven't learned my lesson)

The worst thing I did to myself was wash my hair with Sir N's whitener shampoo...just before the first day on a new job. I had just moved in the night before and couldn't find my own shampoo, so used his thinking it'd be better than not washing at all. I should have gone with dirty hair--I would have looked a lot better.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
My all time DUMB, was when Frankie had a vet appointment. I was halfway to the vet when I looked over and saw Joplin!!! Flipped a quick u-turn, went home and grabbed the right one.

Turned out Frankie had an ear infection. So that evening while putting drops in her ears, I looked up and saw Frankie on the stairs. I wondered, well whose ears are getting the medication? It was Sammie!! Boy was she PISSED - lol

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The dumbest thing I've done so far... is made the groomer do this wack hair-do on kylee on saturday. I mean it looks terrible...she doesnt even look like my dog anymore. the whole way home i was saying her name to make sure she looked at me bc i was convinced it wasnt her. for those of you who think it cant be that bad lets just say....chinese crested

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The dumbest thing I've done is putting infusium leave in treatment on Puddles after a bath.

His hair is like cotton, so I thought I would calm it down. Our friends (his godparents) went out for dinner. When we returned, I was complaining about a smell. Puddles was running and jumping on their laps, when we realized he was the smell. It was like a Skunk had sprayed him. :eek: It took 2 good baths to rid the odor. Never do that again !!

·
Banned
258 Posts
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Sep 18 2005, 02:50 AM
give them a homemade haircut.....again and again and again (still haven't learned my lesson)

The worst thing I did to myself was wash my hair with Sir N's whitener shampoo...just before the first day on a new job.  I had just moved in the night before and couldn't find my own shampoo, so used his thinking it'd be better than not washing at all.  I should have gone with dirty hair--I would have looked a lot better.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100715
[/QUOTE]

NC's Mom, what happened to your hair after using the dog's shampoo? i used bo derek's detangling shampoo on my hair and it looked great. i'm saving it for canaille but i prefer it to my own shampoo. we share the pantene conditioner though

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I am sure feeling better. I knew I couldn't be the only mommy here that sometimes had things go wrong. Or have a good idea that was not so good after all. Looks like others have been here
too.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Msloke+Sep 18 2005, 09:40 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Sep 18 2005, 08:28 PM
The dumbest thing I ever did, was put a shirt on Toby without washing it first!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100905
No, not dumb, you made the brave test so as to warn the rest of us not to do that.
Saved a lot of potential pink malts that day.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=100911
[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh too cute!
I'll bet his daddy was glad it was Toby and not his underware.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
i do lots of dumb things. LOL

when buttercup was a wee tyke, i put her frontline on the back of her neck, and shortly after (i'd already forgotten that i put the frontline on, in a whole 15 minutes!) i took her outside to pee. with her bright red collar. when we came back inside, i took her collar off (it's nighttime, my apartment entryway was dark), and a few minutes later, i looked at the big red splotch on the back of my widdle baby's neck! red-red, not kind-of-red, but RED COLLAR RED.

my immediate thought (even though buttercup and i were the ONLY ones out behind our building, and she was on her leash the entire time) was "OMG WHO STABBED MY DOG IN THE NECK?!?!?!??!"

this time, i can say I'M not too bright (...but at least my DOG is pretty?)

ann marie and the "
i dont know this woman" buttercup

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
With my last malt, I made this mistake twice. On thanksgiving my mom had made a huge plate of salami and cheeses. We left it on the end table in the living room and went into the dining room to have dinner and Baby got into it. Her belly was 3 times as big as it should be, she had eaten ALL of the salami and threw up repeatedly whole slices of salami.. I felt soooo bad!!! Then the next time she did it, it was during my son's birthday party and she got into the garbage bag where every one was putting their plates from their cake, it was a Hulk birthday party so the cake of course was green. I have a picture I should down load of her completely green frosted face. Took atleast 2 washings a week apart to get the green out of her fur.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
First off, Nichole that is my favorite pic. I think it's hilarious

And Ann Marie, the same thing would have gone through my mind..how funny, the other day I parked in back at work. When leaving, out front, I was frantic. Who stole my truck? I almost called the Police!! - lol They would have found it 100 yards away. Even worse, my insurance would go up because I filed a stolen vehicle report.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
suzanne, it made my hair look as though I'd washed it in warmed butter. The parts that did eventually dry stuck up. It was almost a Lisa Simpson hairdo.
(except hers looks good on her)

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would have to say the dumbest thing we are both guilty of is to spoil Scooby rotten. Every time we go somewhere without him, which is not all that often these days, we bring a new toy home to make it up to him. Well now with 2 doggie beds and one toy box full of squeaky toys and every toy you could imagine that makes a noise, we are beginning to pay the price.
We have now learned to smuggle a few of the toys he hasn't played with for a while out and we keep them in the car in a sack, then when we come home we just put one in the shopping sack and he thinks he has a newbie and plays with that one for the next few days.
He is none the wiser, and we have saved a few dollars too

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My dumb thing.. Tuffy likes to follow me around during the day and sometimes he'll follow me into our walk in closet.. well I walked out, assumed he had run off to play and shut the door. Yup, I shut the door and left him in the closet.
A few minutes later I called for him and he didn't show up and didn't show up so I started looking everywhere for him. Just before I started freaking out I thought of the closet.. Luckily he was just taking a nap and didn't seem any worse for wear when I found him. Now I make extra sure that they are both accounted for before I close any doors.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by Mystify79@Sep 19 2005, 01:48 PM
My dumb thing.. Tuffy likes to follow me around during the day and sometimes he'll follow me into our walk in closet.. well I walked out, assumed he had run off to play and shut the door.  Yup, I shut the door and left him in the closet. 
  A few minutes later I called for him and he didn't show up and didn't show up so I started looking everywhere for him.  Just before I started freaking out I thought of the closet..  Luckily he was just taking a nap and didn't seem any worse for wear when I found him.  Now I make extra sure that they are both accounted for before I close any doors. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101062
[/QUOTE]

OMG, we have done that before. My husband even accidently left Sassy in the garage for a couple of minutes last year. Also before she could come down the stairs, once she went up and was up there a few minutes before I could I find her. She never barks or anything she just sits there and waits for someone to find her.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Sassy's mommy+Sep 19 2005, 01:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mystify79
@Sep 19 2005, 01:48 PM
My dumb thing.. Tuffy likes to follow me around during the day and sometimes he'll follow me into our walk in closet.. well I walked out, assumed he had run off to play and shut the door.  Yup, I shut the door and left him in the closet. 
  A few minutes later I called for him and he didn't show up and didn't show up so I started looking everywhere for him.  Just before I started freaking out I thought of the closet..  Luckily he was just taking a nap and didn't seem any worse for wear when I found him.  Now I make extra sure that they are both accounted for before I close any doors. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101062
OMG, we have done that before. My husband even accidently left Sassy in the garage for a couple of minutes last year. Also before she could come down the stairs, once she went up and was up there a few minutes before I could I find her. She never barks or anything she just sits there and waits for someone to find her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=101071
[/B][/QUOTE]
I've done that before also. Tucker never really seems to mind though, he just finds something to get into. I usually find him within a minute though, because he is always following me, so it doesn't take long to realize he isn't there.

Here's one to make everyone feel better about anything they've ever done. And no I did not do this, Thank God, because if I had I probably would have been freaking out...My vet told me this story recently. My vet makes their own flea control product and they put it in these little syringes, and you're supposed to put the medicine on the dogs back like with other flea products. Well, they also use these same kind of syringes for medicines that dogs would take orally. So, one of their customers call up and says, "Hey, my dog really doesn't like the taste of that flea stop." Umm, well, the dog isn't supposed to taste the flea stop...you're supposed to put drops on his back. Anyway, the good news...they took the dog in to get checked out and he was fine. The reason my vet told me this story, was because I asked if the dog would get sick or anything if he licked the area where the flea stop was applied.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts