Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading about this here before, but can't remember what age they start their fear stage?

At 4 1/2 months Poppy is so outgoing, I am thinking of possible therapy dog down the road. We took him to Home Depot today, and he didn't meet a stranger.

He was also right beside a large skid-loader ... an employee went by us in the parking lot with a ton of carts, and he is not fazed. He really seems fearless at this point ... but I wasn't sure if this is because he's still so young .... or if this is a sign that he is cool with lots of noises and people.

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
And then another fear period around 4-6 months. The important thing is to continue actively socializing him and ensuring each experience is positive. You may never notice a thing whereas other dogs may have a dramatic period.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!! I appreciate the input!!

I really do hope in some ways that he stays this way .... seemingly fearless.

He had only been here like 2 weeks, and he was in the kitchen with me. I said "Hey Poppy!" and he looked up to me. And I said "This is gonna be real loud, I'll stop if it scares you."

I make my own almond flour for baking, which is basically grinding whole raw almonds in the food processor, and it is loud as #@*^.

He looked up at me, and once the food processor got going, he went back to playing. Amazing. :wub:

JMM ... I do hope you know how much I appreciate your input ... you always seem to be around, which is so nice for the newbies like me. :you rock:

Thanks again guys ... I appreciate your help!!

Big HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Nikki was like that too when she was a puppy. She is still pretty fearless. Thunder and lightning don't even bother her. But she doesn't like trains up close, especially when they blow the horn.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Nikki was like that too when she was a puppy. She is still pretty fearless. Thunder and lightning don't even bother her. But she doesn't like trains up close, especially when they blow the horn.
I'm with Nikki ... I don't like trains close up either, especially when they blow their horns!! :w00t:

MaryH

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
And if your dog is showing suggestions of anxiety problems around that time, it is not a horrible thing. You can be proactive. Roo, for example, has a quirky side. So I got thunder CDs even though he wasn't afraid of thunder then. I did many of the things you would do for separation anxiety treatment to help him have a secure foundation. Roo is quite the social butterfly and not a fearful dog, but I could see the tendencies and addressed it immediately.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Sophie is like your Poppy, not scared of a single thing! It scares me sometimes because she is so fearless and unfazed by loud noises or things I wonder if she would sense something that may hurt her. My mom brought out the vacuum cleaner the other day and rolled it right beside her. We both watched her to see how she would react thinking maybe she would jump or run away. Nope. She laid right there and watched her vacuum the carpet! And it's not a quiet vacuum cleaner. I am wondering if there is anything that she is really scared of. Even if there is something that she is unsure of she will go up to it and bark at it. I think that she thinks she's a 100 pound dog! Or at least she acts like it LOL

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Julie -- my Cosette sounds just like your Poppy, with the only difference being she WONT pee outside unless it is a pee pad...she'll hold it for hours when I take her out...

Cosettia is so fearless, loves all people and doesn't react to any sounds...She is only cautious for 'seconds' when we are out on our walks (which at the malls and stores), and she'll hesitate before entering a new store, or a big change in the walking surface.

Otherwise she is fearless and sooooo confident and friendly. My only issue with her is that she feels she has to BARK any anyone walking by, or any other dog she sees from afar. She barks when someone comes too close to our car when I go fetch my kids from school...she BARKS when any truck comes up beside our car...

I hope both Poppy and Cosette stay confident!!! We'll have to have them meet and play together soon!!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Julie -- my Cosette sounds just like your Poppy, with the only difference being she WONT pee outside unless it is a pee pad...she'll hold it for hours when I take her out...

Cosettia is so fearless, loves all people and doesn't react to any sounds...She is only cautious for 'seconds' when we are out on our walks (which at the malls and stores), and she'll hesitate before entering a new store, or a big change in the walking surface.

Otherwise she is fearless and sooooo confident and friendly. My only issue with her is that she feels she has to BARK any anyone walking by, or any other dog she sees from afar. She barks when someone comes too close to our car when I go fetch my kids from school...she BARKS when any truck comes up beside our car...

I hope both Poppy and Cosette stay confident!!! We'll have to have them meet and play together soon!!!
I just took Poppy to Home Depot the other day ... his first real outing. He did the same thing ... would bark at people as he ran to them to get them to pet him. So sad.

I'm not sure how I'll break him of that one. :blush:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I just took Poppy to Home Depot the other day ... his first real outing. He did the same thing ... would bark at people as he ran to them to get them to pet him. So sad.

I'm not sure how I'll break him of that one. :blush:

HUGz! Jules
That's interesting. Since I have always taken out Mia & Cody since they were babies they don't bark when out in public. I can take them anywhere and they will stay quietly in their bags or in my arms. (except if on the floor with other dogs) BUT if they are outside at home or inside our home they will bark up a storm at anyone passing by "their" turf.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He was on the floor on a leash. He's pretty quiet at home, as we have spent the last few weeks working on his 'quiet voice'. But, he is very vocal about wanting to get attention. We're doing good here on that, but I'm not sure how to handle it out in public. No matter if he's barking or not, everybody wants to touch him. :blush:

Poor Cita (my white shepherd mix) was invisible. :mellow: I told her next time we'll just go the two of us, as she gets tons of attention then.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
In public turn around and walk away. He gets no attention from you or the person. Once he's quiet, approach again. Some dogs get the idea quickly, others will need many repetitions. It is important to be 100% consistent at home and when you are out. One bark and you are out rule.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In public turn around and walk away. He gets no attention from you or the person. Once he's quiet, approach again. Some dogs get the idea quickly, others will need many repetitions. It is important to be 100% consistent at home and when you are out. One bark and you are out rule.
JMM what do you say to the people? They all kneel down and woo and coo, because he looks like a little stuffed animal to them. :unsure:

One lady actually leaned down and scooped him up before I could say or do anything. I had to quickly say "Hold him tight, he's a big wiggler!" ... and the lady quickly set him down. :blink:

Thanks and HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
JMM what do you say to the people? They all kneel down and woo and coo, because he looks like a little stuffed animal to them. :unsure:

One lady actually leaned down and scooped him up before I could say or do anything. I had to quickly say "Hold him tight, he's a big wiggler!" ... and the lady quickly set him down. :blink:

Thanks and HUGz! Jules
I've had the same problem with Kenzie. I will generally just ignore people and get her attention. I notice if people see you having your dog concentrate on you they generally keep walking. (That is if I'm working on only attention).

If I want to work on appropriate greetings I just tell the people they can pet her if she sits or is not jumping. Trying to get John Q Public to ignore a cute fluffy puppy is tough. If it was a bigger crazy jumping dog they'd just walk away...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I always say my dog must sit for you to pet them. If someone comes at us like they're going to just grab at the dog, I stop them and say they need to ask to pet my dog, not all dogs are nice. Get some attitude and tell people what is not appropriate!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've had the same problem with Kenzie. I will generally just ignore people and get her attention. I notice if people see you having your dog concentrate on you they generally keep walking. (That is if I'm working on only attention).

If I want to work on appropriate greetings I just tell the people they can pet her if she sits or is not jumping. Trying to get John Q Public to ignore a cute fluffy puppy is tough. If it was a bigger crazy jumping dog they'd just walk away...
So true!!!

I'll take your advice and hope the humans can pay attention and behave too. :HistericalSmiley:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always say my dog must sit for you to pet them. If someone comes at us like they're going to just grab at the dog, I stop them and say they need to ask to pet my dog, not all dogs are nice. Get some attitude and tell people what is not appropriate!
Okay ... attitude!! Got it!!! :thumbsup:

People always asked if Cita and Duke were friendly before petting them, so I've not dealt with this before. But, they were both 60-80 lb. shepherd mixes. :w00t:

HUGz! Jules

1 - 19 of 19 Posts