Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man! Can their anal sac break open on it's own even when they don't poop? OH MY GOSH! We had a discussion on whether the groomers should express the anal sac and I remember you guys say DONT LET THEM DO IT if they never had a problem with it. I should have listened!

Ever since I took Cloud to the groomers, I notice from time to time Cloud messing w/his butt. The smell is so nasty and so unbelievable.

Ladymontava, you told me not to give them a bath too often, but I think his butt needs a really good washing! I think a week and a half is good enough! I wiped his tush w/babywipe until I could no longer smell it and then, I had him on my lap and it leaked on me! That's the 2nd time this has happened and my bf said it happened to him once too. I can't believe that anal sac fluid is on my shirt. EWWIE!
Is it anything I should be concerned with?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
ewwww! I have a question about butts too! Kodie's poo sometimes just hangs in his butt... and then he goes running around and it falls out... and of course it isnt on the puppy pad!!! Does he butt not open big enough to let it out???

·
Registered
942 Posts
Wow, sounds kinda yucky. I told the groomers that I had orders from my vet to not express the anal sacs. But to be leaking like that? And on your shirt too? I think you should get his butt looked at...cuz it sounds too weird. I haven't heard that problem spoken about.

~Elegant

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You can have your vet express the anal sacs or have your vet how to teach you to do it safely. Most groomers do it externally so do not completely empty the anal sacs and may cause irritation. Some dogs just need them done on a regular basis. If your dog does not empty them on their own, it will cause him discomfort (scooting, licking his rear) and they can even become impacted and infected and abscess.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 22 2004, 10:29 PM
ewwww!  I have a question about butts too!  Kodie's poo sometimes just hangs in his butt... and then he goes running around and it falls out... and of course it isnt on the puppy pad!!!  Does he butt not open big enough to let it out???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25025
[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it isn't hanging on the hair?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 22 2004, 07:29 PM
ewwww!  I have a question about butts too!  Kodie's poo sometimes just hangs in his butt... and then he goes running around and it falls out... and of course it isnt on the puppy pad!!!  Does he butt not open big enough to let it out???
[/QUOTE]
Chanel used to do that sometimes, but I found that it was her food...her poop has been dropping out all on its own!

~Elegant

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 22 2004, 10:30 PM
You can have your vet express the anal sacs or have your vet how to teach you to do it safely. Most groomers do it externally so do not completely empty the anal sacs and may cause irritation. Some dogs just need them done on a regular basis. If your dog does not empty them on their own, it will cause him discomfort (scooting, licking his rear) and they can even become impacted and infected and abscess.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25028
[/QUOTE]
Question... I never did anything to Kodie's butt before.... i'm supposed to be emptying his sacs?????????????? Cause i'm Kodie's groomer!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
OOOH! Yuck! I know that the anal sac stuff stinks much worse than poo!!! I have smelt it when the vet does it. But he sprays it with something and cleans it good when he is done.
I don't know about the "leaking"-I would take him to the vet and have it checked out just to make sure all is ok...eeeeewwww!!!! Not envying you right now! LOL

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 22 2004, 10:32 PM
Question... I never did anything to Kodie's butt before.... i'm supposed to be emptying his sacs??????????????  Cause i'm Kodie's groomer!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25031
[/QUOTE]

Not all dogs need to have their anal sacs emptied regularly. Most do not. If your dog has a problem and does not express them on your own, have your vet do it or teach you how to.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Caesar's Mommie@Dec 22 2004, 10:37 PM
Ewww, I wonder why he is leaking!
  We havent expressed Caesar's before our vet told us it is not needed unless they have a problem because they will do it theirselves when they poo.  I would have the vet check him out maybe to see why he is leaking.  Keep us posted and good luck

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25036
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I can tell when Brink's have "expressed" with his poo... I won't go into any lovely details, but it is obvious.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Dec 22 2004, 09:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Caesar's Mommie
@Dec 22 2004, 10:37 PM
Ewww, I wonder why he is leaking!
   We havent expressed Caesar's before our vet told us it is not needed unless they have a problem because they will do it theirselves when they poo.  I would have the vet check him out maybe to see why he is leaking.  Keep us posted and good luck

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25036
Yeah, I can tell when Brink's have "expressed" with his poo... I won't go into any lovely details, but it is obvious.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25039
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes it definantely has a smell of its own.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
eww there is nothing worse than that smell...you have my permission to bathe him LOL! sometimes dogs will express when they are excited or nervous...maybe thats what happened.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 22 2004, 11:16 PM
eww there is nothing worse than that smell...you have my permission to bathe him LOL!  sometimes dogs will express when they are excited or nervous...maybe thats what happened.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25060
[/QUOTE]

Like how some ppl laugh so hard they tinkle?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Dec 23 2004, 01:07 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Dec 22 2004, 11:16 PM
eww there is nothing worse than that smell...you have my permission to bathe him LOL!  sometimes dogs will express when they are excited or nervous...maybe thats what happened.
Like how some ppl laugh so hard they tinkle?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25067
[/B][/QUOTE]
yeah kinda

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
489 Posts
My Harry eliminates on his own (thank GOD) but my mother and I used to joke around about my Akita Gus. Sometimes when he had gas his anal sucretions would mix in with the smell. Then he would look at his but like man that was a good one.(common Man)We used to walk aruond the house gagging. I miss him

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 23 2004, 12:16 AM
[/QUOTE]

Do cats do this too? My Sandy cat used to "leak" something from her tushie when she was really scared or pissed. It smelled awful!!!! Taking her to the vet was a TREAT! Not only did I come back looking like I was a cat b/c of all the hair all over me that she shed when she was scared...she also did that anal dripping thing and it STUNK!
I have never noticed it with my other cats though.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 22 2004, 10:29 PM
[/QUOTE]

That happens to my guys too! Catcher does what Kodie does... runs around like crazy as if saying, "Hey what is that on my butt... get it off, get it off"! Finally he'll sling it off somewhere. Lovely!! Kallie totally freaks when this happens and will not move. Sometimes I will wonder where she is and she find her sitting on her potty pad with a pitiful look on her face. Sometimes they have it just stuck to their hair but other times it is stuck and I have to put on gloves and pull it the rest of the way out and it usually has hair (human) with it... lovely visual, I know!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Dec 23 2004, 08:38 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Dec 23 2004, 12:16 AM

Do cats do this too? My Sandy cat used to "leak" something from her tushie when she was really scared or pissed. It smelled awful!!!! Taking her to the vet was a TREAT! Not only did I come back looking like I was a cat b/c of all the hair all over me that she shed when she was scared...she also did that anal dripping thing and it STUNK!
I have never noticed it with my other cats though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=25081
[/B][/QUOTE]
yes..ive seen this happen more commonly w/ cats visitng the vets than dogs. smells upthe whole vet clinic. what is worse is if you are a tech and get it on u...then u walk around smelling it all day, and ppl think u smell. LOL but luckily it never got on my clothes, but did for a few of my coworkers. but we had spare tops they could put on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts