Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I was reading a thread about the best combs and brushes for our Malts, and I read that we shoudn't use brushes with little balls on the ends because it will tear their hair. Well, luckily I haven't been using a brush like that on the dogs, but I have on myself, a lot
So does the same go for humans? I'm trying to grow my hair out really long and breaking it with my brush is the last thing I need to be doing.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
It all depends on your hair. You should not brush your hair when it is wet you should use a comb or pick. But you know what, if you use good products, and keep your hair in good condition, keep it trimmed (just the tips) even if you are growing it it will look great. A lot of people make the mistake of not keepin the ends trimmed and when the hair gets longer the ends are all split and that makes the ends thin and look stringy.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A good brush is one with boar's hair bristles. Some are pretty pricey but worth every penny.
BTW, I concur with everything the above poster said, never brush when wet, keep ends trimmed and moist, don't twist hair while wet (ie. putting it in a twisty bun) because that will cause breakage, esp. on the side. Use a moisturizing conditioner AND leave-in everytime you wash.

Also, easy on the harsh dies and daily blowdrying (if you do that). And if you hair is colored, use a conditioner specifically targeted for colored hair. L'Oreal makes a great one.

I may not know much about maltese hair but I sure do know lot about Human Hair. LOL

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ya'll (pardon my Texan),
I've been using a regular brush, but I'll switch to a boar bristle one, I have one, I just haven't been using it

I really need to get away from the dryer a bit, but I'm not sure I can give it up
Maybe all this conditioning will help

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
As a hairdresser, maybe I can help a bit.
You want to look for a brush made of natural bristles. The natural bristles let you pull the oils located at the top of your hair down to the bottom of your hair, which is usually the driest. This helps to lubricate the ends of your hair, keeping it healthier. Blow drying is a big no-no. Try to use professional quality products. Keep your ends trimmed to prevent splitting and don't brush your hair more than necessary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts