Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently don't give Shadow any people foods - mainly because I worry about what it would do to her health AND I don't want her begging at us or our guests.

I have done a little reading and found that some people give their dogs 'people food'... can anyone tell me their experience with this? Are there particular foods that are 'okay' to give? Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just started giving Susie some people food. Mainly tiny bits of beef sausage or strips of cooked chicken mixed with some broth, cooked carrots and her kibble. She gobbled everything up! I guess it's nice to have a change every once in a while. I do not encourage begging at the table and only serve in her own bowl. I also use teeny-weeny bits of sausage as a training treat. She's much more attentive around sausages :D

She does not have any trouble of being picky with her food and still eats her dry food as her main diet.

G

·
0 Posts
LoLs - Muffie doesn't mind a little chip every now and then. Her fav is original..probally cause thats the only one i've ginven her!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
The only people food Tiki gets is raw carrot or other veggie pieces when I am cooking and a few pieces of cereal that my husband treats him with in the mornings. My vet recommended that we do not give table food as it will shorten their life. We never feed these treats from the table because we don't want him to beg.

I have read that there are a number of foods that are dangerious for dogs. One of the sites I came across surprised me --- no grapes.

Toxic foods for dogs

Judi

G

·
0 Posts
I don't feed my pup any people food... there is dog food for a reason. There are also treats & such things for dogs because our food has ingredients which aren't good for them. When I left my dog for two weeks with some neighbors they gave her people food & when I got back she didn't want to eat her food.... she eventually ate her food again but it took a while

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Parker only gets dog food and dog treats. I'm too worried about his health, and I don't want him begging. My mother's dog is in heart failure which did have a genetic predisposition but the people food made the disease develop faster and more severe. If i were to give parker food it would be veggies and fruit...no grapes though because they are bad for the kidneys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sydney also LOVES honey nut cheerios....if you say the word "cheerio" she stops what she's doing and comes over to sit. They have worked very well for training her. My husband usually keeps some in his pocket and she ALWAYS comes to him when he calls her. With me it's just if she's in the mood, guess I need to start carrying cheerios around with me as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Benson loves all types of veggies. His favorite is cauliflower. We have never given him any people food except veggies and at Easter dinner, we had a houseful of people sitting at the table eating. I sat on the couch, Benson sat on my lap and I ate a plate of food while he chewed a chewey toy. My family couldnt believe that he was sitting on my lap while I was eating ham and didnt beg.

The veggie tray is another story. We had to take it off the living room table because he sat there and whined at it.

He loves veggies!!! I never saw a dog eat them like him.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
There really is little difference between People food and Maltese food except that their nutritional NEEDS are different from ours. There are several books which contain recipes for making food for the nutritional needs of our pets and they contain People food. You know, meat, vegetables, grain and fruit.

Do not feed: grapes, raisins, turkey (in large amounts), onions and broccoli.

Many Maltese owners that I know add vegetables, chicken broth, brown rice and fruit to their dogs diets. As long as you can be sure the nutritional needs are being met and your dog is not being overfed, I think giving fresh, homecooked food to our furbabies is a good thing.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Remember if you are feeding mostly soft foods you MUST brush their teeth. Maltese are prone to problems with their teeth and you must keep the teeth and gums very clean and healthy.:D

Juid

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have heard that yoghurt is good to give Maltese. I wouldn't give a sweetened version, though. Whether artificially sweetened or sugar sweetened. These babies are so small that I prefer to keep sugar and artificial chemicals out of Pico's system entirely.

I'm assuming you don't mean frozen yogurt.

·
Registered
994 Posts
not frozen , reason i asked was when maxi had his stomach ache last week my friend & her boyfriend took him to the vet for me i was at work and they told them that maxi should have yogurt for his stomach
he gets alot of tummy aches anyway they never got what kind of yogurt
and that doctor is on vacation my regular doctor wasnt there so i have no clue what kind to get him

1 - 18 of 18 Posts