Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm a new dog owner so I have a silly question. I would like to carry MuShu around in my carrier when we go out. But what places allow you to bring your dogs to? How about grocery stores? lol. I had to ask Post office? Malls? I've never really paid attention to where people bring their dogs into. Any thoughts? I know my question sounds retarded. But who else to ask than a bunch of Maltese lovers!

I'm located in California if that helps!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
It all depends on where you live. Some privately owned places will allow dogs. Most indoor restaurants will not allow dogs. Same with grocery stores. I think dogs are allowed at some outdoor eating places. I know the malls around here don't let dogs in.

If you get a bag that can pass for a purse you can sneek MuShu in. As long as she can be quiet.

Edit: Check out this website: Dog Friendly

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think its really dependant on where you live. Like i can go into a wal-mart in one town and no one will care and i can go into one in another town and get kicked out before i get all the way threw the front door lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
My experience:

Grocery/Restaurants - Never welcome - health department issues.
Borders/Walden Books, etc. - No problem
Best Buy - No problem
My dentist - No problem. He even puts their pictures on the wall with the kids.
Home Depot - Sometime ok, sometimes not. Depends on who sees you.

Blockbuster - Not only is it ok, the one by me has treats.
Party Stores - No problem
Drugstores - Depends. I've had good luck if I just keep them in my jacket.
Malls - Usually no problem at all. And if they have a pet store in the Mall, then they have lost all ability to complain.
:lol: My stylist - Ok with her unless her manager is there. She even helps with trims.
Library - Same as Home Depot. I always hold my dogs and sometimes the librarians are friendly, and sometimes not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Lucky's Dad@Apr 15 2005, 03:39 PM
My experience........:
Thank you Thank you Lucky's Dad! You were THOOOOROUGH! I feel so much better now that MuShu doesn't have to be TRAPPED in doors all the time! Yay!!! Now I really have to start Carrier shopping!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i live in valencia, california. there arent that many places that allow dogs. BUT san diego is totally dog friendly.
where do you live?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by Lucky's Dad@Apr 15 2005, 02:39 PM
My experience:

My dentist - No problem.  He even puts their pictures on the wall with the kids.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52981
[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the weird thing? I took my cousin to the dentist and brought Cloud in with me and they said to bring him inside the office because they wanted to play with him!!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
*Defently ANYWHERE in NYC...

*Best Buy
*when your pup is still VERY VERY young you can take them into restaurent and everywhere else you can think of. Thats when they are so tiny, quiet, and just sleep!
*malls
*Wal mart (dont be obvious about it though...
)
*clothing stores
*rite aid... haha

As long as your not obvious about it you can go almost anywhere... just dont go to IKEA, SHOPRITE, BLOCKBUSTER (they even have a stupid sign that says no pets), no REST stops on the NJ PARKWAY... any food places.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I WISH WE CAN BRING EM TO SCHOOL...... SCHOOL IS SO0O0O0O STRICKED NOW! WE HAVE TO WEAR RED WHITE OR BLUE COLLAR SHIRTS W/ THEM TUCKED IN AND NO SHORTS ONLY JEANS AND KAKI PANTS AND LONG SKIRTS(I DON'T WEAR) AND WE HAEV TO WEAR A BELT.. AND WE EVEN CANT WEAR OUR SHOE LACES DIFF COLOR(THEY SAY IT REP. GANGS) AND WE HAVE TO HAVE EM NORMAL AND NOT ACROSS and WE CAN'T WEAR SHIRTS W/OUT BUTTONS AND WE HAVE TO HAVE EM ALL THE WAYS BUTTONS EXEPT ONE...((I DON'T FOLLOW IT)) NOW TELL ME THERE NOT STRICT!!! uggggggggggg

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i live in pasadena CA, if i have jongee in her carrier she's welcome almost everywhere

but ive been kicked out of IKEA , Target even if jongee was in her bag..

some grocery stores like Ralphs didnt say anything to me if jongee was in her bag..
and restaurants didnt allow her either..but usually if u eat outside of their restaurants where theres tables u can see lots of dog owners eating out with their dogs too

lots of dogs at Urth cafe on Melrose

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by mee@Apr 16 2005, 03:57 PM
i live in pasadena CA, if i have jongee in her carrier she's welcome almost everywhere
lots of dogs at Urth cafe on Melrose
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53305
[/QUOTE]

Target kicked you out??? They just added a pet dept! That's counterproductive. Oh, I have seen TONS of dogs @ Urfe Cafe. That was actually the one place I knew I could take my dog too. HeeHee.

Could you tell me if you know of any boutiques for small dogs in the Southern Cali area? I only know of FiFi and Romeo and that is quite expensive. Anywhere else?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
maxwell dog on ventura blvd

oh, and target in valencia doesnt allow dogs either.

AND the mall here opened a store for dog treats and clothes AND there's the picture studio that allows dogs....but the MALL doesnt allow dogs.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I don't know what's with Targets in CA. I always brought Miko even without his bag to Target in Nashville and no one ever said anything (except that he is cute). I have snuck him in Target in Pasadena and Sherman Oaks but its getting harder! I have no problems bringing him into Vons and most Ralphs and any restaurants. In fact, most restaurants don't even know (or care) that Miko is in his bag.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Apr 16 2005, 05:52 PM
maxwell dog on ventura blvd

oh, and target in valencia doesnt allow dogs either.

AND the mall here opened a store for dog treats and clothes AND there's the picture studio that allows dogs....but the MALL doesnt allow dogs. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53326
[/QUOTE]

How can businesses be so cold to these lovely creatures. I just don't understand. what is the big deal? They just LAY there and look cute! What is the harm? I really like the Izacc Mizrahi bed in black.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is a fabulous question!

I live in Santa Barbara, CA and people and places here are soooo pet friendly! Here are the places I have taken my dogs and the places that have kicked me out.

Bring your puppy places:

1) Nordstrom: They totally allow dogs, any size too! I take my Rottweiler shoe shopping all the time!!!

2) Macy's: Can you guys tell I like to shop?
:D

3) UCSB: I take my dog to all my classes as often as possible.

4) Restaurants with outdoor seating.

5) Convenience Stores (Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc.)

6) Almost all the stores downtown where I live.

Leave your puppy at home places:

1) IKEA: you can't step foot in there with your dog even if it weighs a pound!!

2) all grocery store: health code issue.

So far this is my list from experience. But keep this in mind at all time. Our malts are so cute, many places that usually wouldn't allow them can't resist!!!

Hope this helps,

Nousha and Tessa

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
We've noticed alot of places we take them to have kind of a "don't ask, don't bark, don't tell" policy.

We would walk past employees who would smile and say hi to our girls and not make a big deal out of it, but if one of the girls barked at someone, or usually a little nosey child, we would get asked to leave.

This has happened at places like Target, Garden Ridge, and even Best Buy believe it or not. Target and Garden Ridge both have food so I understand That, Best Buy we were a little shocked by, we still take them in there though.

We were also asked to pick up Chanel once at Home Depot when she was in there on a leash.

Usually the girls go in their carriers, but alot of times we will just take them in and let them ride in shopping carts, they usually love hanging out of the front of carts as we push them. It's fun.

Here are the stores in our area we go to all the time.

Office Depot
Circuit City
Jo Annes Fabric
Home Depot
Lowes
Best Buy
Office Max
Staples
CompUSA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Apr 15 2005, 03:58 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lucky's Dad
@Apr 15 2005, 02:39 PM
My experience:

My dentist - No problem.  He even puts their pictures on the wall with the kids.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52981
Isn't that the weird thing? I took my cousin to the dentist and brought Cloud in with me and they said to bring him inside the office because they wanted to play with him!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53008
[/B][/QUOTE]

My dentist lets my dogs sit on my lap while he works on me. They curl up on my thighs and between my knees and just go to sleep. Some other patients think I'm nuts, but who cares.

Somebody else mentioned CompUSA. I've found the secret to being allowed to have your dog there. If you're just browsing, someone may ask you to leave. But if you take a cart and put something expensive in it while you browse, they leave you alone. heh, heh.

·
Registered
608 Posts
[

Somebody else mentioned CompUSA. I've found the secret to being allowed to have your dog there. If you're just browsing, someone may ask you to leave. But if you take a cart and put something expensive in it while you browse, they leave you alone. heh, heh.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53695
[/QUOTE]

I love it... I think I might use this one. It may come in handy too when I show up at home with expensive purchases "honey I had to buy it, I wanted to keep Tunder in the store with me. I put in the cart and forgot it was there when I checked out"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts