Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering, since we have never had an "indoor" dog, so to speak, at least one less than 80 lbs, where do you take your babies. I saw someone on another thread that said they took theirs to restaurants, and stores?? Do they let you do that??

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Some cities are a lot more dog friendly. My neighbor was just in Fort Lauderdale, FL and they said there were dogs everywhere. People could take them into stores, to restaurants, etc. Most of the dogs were so well trained they didn't even need leashes.

Most people have to smuggle there dogs into places. I've taken Lexi to Kmart, the mall, and a couple of other places. She has started to bark so I don't do that anymore.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
pasadena seems a little dog friendly but not the greatest

jongee is never allowed where theres food like coffee shops, restaurants, etc, but mostly if jongee is in her carrier and have it zipped up nobody seems to notice her and i am able to take her to grocerystores sometimes if i snuggle her in,

but ihave been kicked out of IKEA, target when i took jongee with me at the door

shes fine when i take her on leash at the bank, clothes stores, post office, etc but shes usually is in her carrier most of the time carried around just in case i might get kicked out, shes also been on the ferry to Catalina island in her carrier too but she had motion sickness and vomited

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
My Post Office has a big old sign on the door that says "NO PETS ALLOWED...EVEN SMALL DOGS IN CARRIERS...VIOLATORS WILL BE FINED." I'm not sure if this is legal, but I certainly don't want anyone messing with my mail delivery so I respect the sign. I haven't snuck (I know that isn't really a word) our pup anywhere yet, but as soon as my bag comes, I will. I have taken her to Staples and they were happy to have her in my arms. Same with Home Depot. I guess they are used to it because both stores are in the same center as PetSmart. Oh, and I did take her into Bed Bath and Beyond, but one of the customers complained to the CS desk. The girl behind the register said that she told the complainer that my dog was a "service dog". So I guess the employees didn't object!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I always take sunny in his carrier when i take him places he has gone to walmart, crafts stores, barnes and noble, pet stores (of course), real quick in to a nail salon but i didnt think the fumes were very good for him so i left, a few restrants but they all warned me if someone complained i would have to leave...and we have been kicked out of walmart, gas stations, and rest stops on the turnpike (i got mad about that one)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know I said I take Vinny everywhere. I live in a small town and I don't purposely show him around in restaurants or grocery stores, but the staff has definitely seen him in his bag, he is very well behaved in it and usually sleeps. Everyone knows I have him and he is the only Maltese within 3 or 4 hundred miles so he attracts alot of attention. When we go into the post office, or department stores I take him out of his bag and carry him, and I have yet to be asked to leave. I also think that Canada is not as strict about little dogs as the U.S. I hope that didn't offend anyone, it is just the impression I get from reading different posts.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I took Flurry to Chili's restaurant he loved the chicken, lol. A funny thing did happen there my husband said quit feeding the dog the chicken so I stopped. He let out one big bark of an opinion, we were seated next to the kitchen The people looked horrified, I Held back the laughter, as all utensils stopped mid air, mouths dropped.
I take him to Petco, to the post office, to the drug store, to the mall, jewlery store, to get his name tag engraved, to Coach store for his collar, to see Santa at the mall, Santa would not see him there so I took him to Petco to see Santa. I have taken him to Stop & Shop they let him in sitting in the children's seat. Everywhere else he just sits in his bag hoping I get something to eat. I have taken him to the photographers in the mall. After 7PM dogs are allowed in our mall. He was thrown out of Walmart. The way that the lady did it caused me to stop shopping there very often,picture this; I walk in with what looks like a pocket book, no one sees the dog in the bag except for the package checker. She yells, "No Dogs allowed!!" Everyone turned and looked at me, they probably thought she was talking to me and I was dating her husband or some crazy thing, I was sooooo embarrassed, I walked out. I have only shopped there with a friend once in the past 3 mths. I bought nothing. I used to be a once a week shopper, I have saved a fortune keeping away from all those bargains, rofl. Pet shops always let you in; Petco, Pet Smart, Petland. Check with your mall to see if they have night dog hours, ask the store if it is ok. If they
sell pet supplies they love you. Build a bear is dog friendly because I buy Flurry's clothes there.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Most people here dont mind sunny, i alwasy joke this is the maltese capital of the country lol if you are ever in palm beach you are deffiently gonna see a few maltese when i flew out of the local airport he wasnt even the only one on our plane, but some people really just pissy when i show up with him i like said i have been to walmart and gotten kicked out of walmart i totally think its just the employies call about this type of stuff becuase i have had people who work there (like even managers and stuff) see him and just go awww but then sometimes you get someone who wants to put up a fuss and not let you in. When i got kicked out of wall mart i took him out of his bag and let him walk around on his leash in that little area between were you go in a door but there is another set of doors before you are in the store( there are usually vending machines) well i guess be looked really pathetic becuase someone went over to one of those littel machines that you with stuffed animals out of and got sunny something to chew on lol. With reastrants i really only bring him into a sit down type place if i have no other choose like if we are out of town and i cant leave him alone at the hotel it seems to work best to just flat out telling the on duty manager you have a small dog with out who will not be coming out of his bag and he needs to come in with you and they are ok with it not pleased but wont kick you out later. Its the other people in teh stores and stuff that i think get us in trouble for having our dogs lol i was in teh er ,yeah thats right someone brought there dog to the hospital waiting room, and the doctors and nurses and other people working there never said i think but this dog was walking around on a leash so i know they saw it but then a person in teh waiting room complained they didnt feel comftorable with the dog there (you know those toy poodles and just so unerving lol) so then they had to take the dog outside. The only time i ever had sunny bark with i had him out was the first time i put him in his carrier bag and he kinda freaked out and didnt want to be in there although he seems to love it now feels safe or something i think, and when i had him in the crafts store there were these 2 like 10 year ols playing tag in the store and like screaming with they did it so he saw them and barked but i just went someplace he couldnt see them and he as fine again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:D I have a pouch that goes over my shoulders and hangs in the front, so when Jasmine is in it you only see her head. Most of the time no one even notices her. We have taken her in Target, Lowe's, Circuit City and Home Depot. Only one time we wern't allowed to take her in Lowe's and it made me mad because the women behind the desk sent this boy with some kind of handicap to tell us she could not come in and she was in her pouch. Also one time in K-mart at Christmas time and the guy at the door was very rude. When we got home I sent them a very long e-male about how rude the guy was and how I would never step foot in another one of there stores. All in all though every one usually just wants to pet and talk to her and she loves it.
BETTY

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Lets see.. i've only been thrown out of the rest stop on the Garden state Parkway. We were headed to NYC! I have taken Kodie to NYC many many times for the whole day.. we go into many clothing stores and the employees always ask me to take him out of his bag! NYC is very dog friendly! We were even allowed to eat in an italian restaurant in little italy with Kodie in his bag... the employee said as long as he doesnt bark... come right in! haha.. I have eaten at soooo many restaurants in NYC with Kodie in his bag on the floor.. he usually sleeps while we eat. Hes been on the subway in NYC, central park....
Around my house he has been to best buys (without even being in a bag.. i just hold him), target, walmart, applebees (many times!), hes been to 4 different malls, a pizza place on the ocean city boardwalk, hes been on the boardwalk, Friendlys restaurant, I think Dennys too, umm... lets just say that the whole first year of having Kodie.. he didnt really make ANY sounds and he was only around 2lbs soo I took him EVERYWHERE! I wanna try taking him to the movies... but my bf wont let me
I have to be kinda careful now that Kodie learned to bark.. haha.. but he still goes places... maybe just not as many restaurants.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow!! You guys really get around!! I know about PetSmart and that they are obviously "doggie friendly", I also know about 1 other Pet Botique here in Tucson that let you bring your pup. I guess maybe I'll just have to get out there and see who throws us out and who doesn't!! I realize quite a few places deal with the local County Health Departments and will not allow pets because of health regulations. Maybe Starbucks?? They have outdoor seating.......thanks for the information. It's amazing how different towns are "pet friendly" and others are not. In Europe when you go to a restaurant, not only are pets welcome they even "serve" your pet snacks and meals on their own plates!!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I take Tini everywhere with me. The only place we have ever been kicked out of was a little tiny market in East Lansing. We go to bookstores, Target, Michaels, she has been to Meijer a few times, Bruegers Bagels, Panera, Rite Aid...pretty much where ever I go. I have this pink bag. Tini never even sticks her head out...she just chills out inside!

No one seems to notice...if someone does notice it is always a kid!!! It cracks me up!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Jan 27 2005, 11:38 AM
Natalie,
Cute bag, I love it, where did you get it??
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31904
[/QUOTE]

Petsmart.com $29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wanted to wait until she was "full grown" before I spent a lot of money on a bag, but I just LOVE this one. I don't think she will ever grow out of it either!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Key west is super dog friendly they will let your dog in anywhere and not just little dogs either i have been with people who brough their german shepeard in with them lol i had an awsome time brining sunny there lol i got sunny the $25 petsmart bag to becuase i was worried about him growing out of an expensive bag he has this one

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I take Lucy everywhere in her carriers

Whenever somebody sees her, they make a big deal out of it and ask to hold her, etc. Restaurants are fine, in fact in a couple of places they're given her little bowls of water, etc.

I guess I have a dog friendly town - thank gooodness =]

1 - 20 of 46 Posts