Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I comb my girls out daily and as their coats get longer think they may benefit by using a conditioner or detangle product. [years ago I used progroom on my sheltie, had great results, but feel it is wrong for this coat]. What would you recommend? I don't want them to get greasy from build up between baths. THANk YOU!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I use water for daily brushing/combing. During the winter I use a humidifier but if the static starts then I will use a conditioning spray (Influx usually). Water has worked well overall and prevents greasy buildup.

MaryH

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I use Nature's Specialties Quicker Slicker. I haven't found it to build-up on the coats at all, and it is all natural. I have been very pleased with all of the NS products.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
We use the Ultra Shine or Finishing Show Spray. What ever you use be sure to check the ingredients. A lot of the colonges and coat sprays on the market contain alcohol.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pure Paws was recommended by my breeder when I purchased Dixie. I'll have to check and see what I used back then and give it another try. [I stopped using a product when combing b/c I was keeping her coat short. I am now growing her long again]. What is the shelf life of your product?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Unless you're diligent about bathing every 5-7 days I'd say water is best. If I do use a conditioner spray I usually dilute it to practically all water. Dust and dirt get mixed into the coat with heavy conditioner sprays creating more mats.

·
Banned
242 Posts
I have always sprayed a little doctors &Smith grooming mist plus mink oil on the brush when I brush Tessa out daily who is a yorkie and started to do the same with Halle the past 4 days. Hope that is ok. Any comments would be appreciated as this is my 1st maltese. In 30 years I have never bonded so quickly with such a sweet disposition. Sorry, I went off subject.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't want them to get greasy or attract dirt so I suppose water will be the spray of choice. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
Rusk....

:thmbup:I have found something I like very very much...RUSK Sensories Calm Detangler leave in detangler guarana &ginger in 8.5 fl. oz. bottle. But the only place it seems to be able to be bought is online stores like www.fragrance.net and ? some drugstore website. And I have bought it on ebay! I love it because it really really works and seems to work without losing hair. Esp good for a serious mat. Rusk makes a product that is similiar but isn't a liquid spray. It is not greasy at all and just perfect for a long coat. So I have hunted until I found it and have bought enough to last a couple of years I like it that much! I will try to find the website exaclty where it can be bought and post again. Jeanne

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I use: Omg by plush puppy & Coat Handler conditioner diluted with water in a spray bottle. I alternate between these..every few weeks or so. Lately though I've only been using the Coat Handler as it seems to have less build up in her coat (i heavily dilute it)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Coat Handler Conditioner diluted for routine brushing and OMG ( by Plush Puppy) for detangling any matts or potential matts.

Brush with the dog on their back & side works very well but you have to start when they are young.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Ive tried quite a few rather pricey ones but the one im using now is the new (to the uk anyway?) johnsons baby detangle spray - just the same as the baby shampoos they do - it was under £3 (most sprays for the girls are £10+ here) and its working great. Plus because its for babys it doesnt seem to dry out their coats like a lot of the doggy sprays do. It smells good too :)

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Ive tried quite a few rather pricey ones but the one im using now is the new (to the uk anyway?) johnsons baby detangle spray - just the same as the baby shampoos they do - it was under £3 (most sprays for the girls are £10+ here) and its working great. Plus because its for babys it doesnt seem to dry out their coats like a lot of the doggy sprays do. It smells good too :)
Interesting! Johnsons shampoo is notable for drying malts skin out, don't know about the spray though! I know that johnsons has the baby lotion that every mother owns because baby's skin gets dry after a bath. Who knows. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts