Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Theo, Maltese 7/29/20 , Li"lli Morkie deceases 11/02/20
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theo is my first maltese. His adult coat is quite thick, and tangles even with two a day combing and brushing. Here is a picture taken the day after a bath. We are growing out his hair around the eyes. I am using Chris Christensen Spectrum Ten Shampoo and Conditioner. Is there a daily spray or brushing product that you all use? We live in Florida and Theo's hair seems to get static electricity, and seem the more you comb and brush the woolier it gets? When he still had his thinner puppy coat it was easy to keep him free of mats, but honestly it seems like all I do now is try to keep them at bay. Do you have any tricks of the trade? How often do you all bath your pups? Any and all advice is appreciated.
IMG_0659.jpg

Registered
My Bardie suffered terribly with mats too. His coat is thick also. I found this shampoo and it has helped so much. Hyponic Hypoallergenic White Dog Shampoo.
I get it from chewy. I used to have to spray tangle spray all the time. With this I haven't had to use anything other than the shampoo. He still gets a few tiny mats now and then but nothing like before. I wash him once a week and the scent of this stays all week and his hair is silky. It's made for white dogs and his coat is nice and bright.

Your Theo is precious by the way. 馃檪

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Janlee Thank you for the compliment for Theo and the product name. Do you use conditioner for him too? If so is it the same brand? I do not know if I could get a comb through with out conditioning. Your pup in profile pic is too cute! Love the Camo coat.

Registered
No I don't use conditioner. This shampoo leaves his coat silky and easy to comb through. I have GloCoat spray detangler that I used to use all the time for tangles and mats. I rarely have to use it now with this shampoo. GloCoat works really well on tangles and you can use on dry fur if needed. I also get that at Chewy.
Thanks for the compliment on Bardie. He's as sweet as he is cute. :)

Premium Member
It's been over a decade since I had a maltese in full coat, but I used to put some conditioner in a spray bottle and mix it with water. I'd spray it on his coat before combing it.

Registered
I also use Glo Coat for Chrissy and have been very satisfied with the results. I was able to purchase it through Chewy at a reasonable price.

Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
I use Christensen line. He has an after bath product.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the advice and product suggestions. I have ordered a Christensen spray and will report back on its results. If that doesn't wok will try the Glo coat or Premium show spray next time. I am spending more time and $ on Theo's hair than on my own, but you all are probably doing the same ..... hmmm....

Registered
Theo is my first maltese. His adult coat is quite thick, and tangles even with two a day combing and brushing. Here is a picture taken the day after a bath. We are growing out his hair around the eyes. I am using Chris Christensen Spectrum Ten Shampoo and Conditioner. Is there a daily spray or brushing product that you all use? We live in Florida and Theo's hair seems to get static electricity, and seem the more you comb and brush the woolier it gets? When he still had his thinner puppy coat it was easy to keep him free of mats, but honestly it seems like all I do now is try to keep them at bay. Do you have any tricks of the trade? How often do you all bath your pups? Any and all advice is appreciated. View attachment 275641 View attachment 275641
Thank you all for the advice and product suggestions. I have ordered a Christensen spray and will report back on its results. If that doesn't wok will try the Glo coat or Premium show spray next time. I am spending more time and $ on Theo's hair than on my own, but you all are probably doing the same ..... hmmm....

Registered
So precious, unless you are going to show her, I find the puppy cut for my Maltese is less stressful on her and me. I went thru just what you are going thru with my first maktese, Holly, found out the short puppy cut makes her look more like a puppy all of the time. Of course that is my opinion.

Registered
Basil was 12 years old :(
So precious, unless you are going to show her, I find the puppy cut for my Maltese is less stressful on her and me. I went thru just what you are going thru with my first maktese, Holly, found out the short puppy cut makes her look more like a puppy all of the time. Of course that is my opinion.
I also keep my Maltese in a puppy cut and agree they look like a puppy all of the time and much easier to keep up.

Registered
Theo is my first maltese. His adult coat is quite thick, and tangles even with two a day combing and brushing. Here is a picture taken the day after a bath. We are growing out his hair around the eyes. I am using Chris Christensen Spectrum Ten Shampoo and Conditioner. Is there a daily spray or brushing product that you all use? We live in Florida and Theo's hair seems to get static electricity, and seem the more you comb and brush the woolier it gets? When he still had his thinner puppy coat it was easy to keep him free of mats, but honestly it seems like all I do now is try to keep them at bay. Do you have any tricks of the trade? How often do you all bath your pups? Any and all advice is appreciated. View attachment 275641 View attachment 275641
I never brush without using the spray. I do like CC Ice on Ice but alternated with The Stuff and UltraMaxx as well as others!

Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
I keep Casper in long coat and find the Christensen line helpful. I use white on white as a shampoo and after bathe as a conditioner, ice on ice, I also shampoo with clean start every few weeks. The products are expensive but a little goes a long way. Here is a picture of Casper after bath and comb out.
Casper.jpg

Premium Member
Such gorgeous dogs! :love: I appreciate the product recommendations, too. My foster fail, Janie, has a pretty good coat now that she is treated for hypothyroidism, but it is on the dry and fragile side. I'm giving up on her topknot but would like to keep some fluffy coat, and all I have are some products I grabbed off the shelf at a big name pet supply store. Getting her to a groomer is kind of erratic still, due to shutdowns. I'm also going to borrow some pictures from SM of darling dogs in shorter cuts. Love all the help and suggestions here!

Premium Member
I too use Chris Christensen products. I was having the same issue with Nani and tried several things/combinations. What has been working for her coat is the spectrum 10 and miracle moisture shampoos and conditioners. I bathe her every week. I will shampoo with spectrum 10, rinse then shampoo with miracle moisture, rinse. Then I use then spectrum 10 conditioner and put the miracle moisture conditioner on top. Every other week I use the white on white shampoo on top of the spectrum 10. I use ice on ice on her damp coat before I blow dry out her coat. It seems like a lot but now that I have a routine it doesn't take too long and it is what has worked best for her coat. Here are a couple of pics after a bath.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again to EVERYONE for the advice and product information. I love seeing the pictures too! Nani's Mom where do you get Miracle Moisture? Is that a Christensen product? Theo's is better than when I was using puppy shampoos with the Spectrum10, but I do thin he could use added moisture. His coat just seems dry especially on the ends.

Premium Member
I too use Chris Christensen products. I was having the same issue with Nani and tried several things/combinations. What has been working for her coat is the spectrum 10 and miracle moisture shampoos and conditioners. I bathe her every week. I will shampoo with spectrum 10, rinse then shampoo with miracle moisture, rinse. Then I use then spectrum 10 conditioner and put the miracle moisture conditioner on top. Every other week I use the white on white shampoo on top of the spectrum 10. I use ice on ice on her damp coat before I blow dry out her coat. It seems like a lot but now that I have a routine it doesn't take too long and it is what has worked best for her coat. Here are a couple of pics after a bath. View attachment 275648 View attachment 275649
You do a beautiful job grooming Nani!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts