Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't like needlessly medicating my Sophie and in the past when I took my furry buddies to the vet, they made me feel very uneducated and irresponsible when I refused to have them injected with a yearly booster vaccine...
When I finally take her to the vet next month, what should I have my Sophie checked out for? What should be done to her?

:ThankYou:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do you have any records of when she last received vaccinations? I had to look at an old thread, but since she is 4, you can have her titer tested to she is she needs any vaccinations. If you don't have proof of Rabies or she is due for the Rabies vaccine, make sure you get the 3 year one. Even when mine got vaccinated, I skipped the kennel cough and lepto vaccines.
This is just what I would do...I would have a stool sample performed and bloodwork done. Its just nice to know what your dog's normal looks like in case there are issues down the road. A Bile Acid Test is always a good thing to do too.
Again, just what I would do. You don't neccesarily have to do these things every year. In fact, I don't titer every year. I did 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
10,107 Posts
For an annual wellness, my girls get a full blood chemistry and cbc. They also get urinalysis and fecal. We titter for distemper and par on and will only re vaccinate if the titer is negative. Rabies is every three years in most areas - be on the alert for both immediate and delayed reactions to any vaccines.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thank you both! :chili:
The previous owner has her records but keeps forgetting to give them to me...She tells me she should get her next "shot" in June...but she was very vague on the specifics of Sophie's health history :angry:
I agree, I want to get a normal baseline (thus the reason for the vet visit) in case my Sophie becomes ill in the future.

·
Premium Member
9,497 Posts
In addition, make sure that they check the patella area carefully to catch any problems early. It is a good time to have them look over the dental area to see if plaque is building. Check with the vet to see if the anal glands need to be expressed . CBC is a great idea as is a urine and fecal sample.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I always do whatever vaccinations are on schedule - my vet is actually a traditional vet but goes as light as possible on vaccines. The bloodwork is an extra expense but it's so important for the vet to have it on file. When Rocky got really sick, they needed healthy bloodwork to compare it to what his values were coming out at while he was ill. I highly recommend everyone get the bloodwork done, if you can't every year, then at least every other year.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Awesome. Thank you both! :chili:
The previous owner has her records but keeps forgetting to give them to me...She tells me she should get her next "shot" in June...but she was very vague on the specifics of Sophie's health history :angry:
I agree, I want to get a normal baseline (thus the reason for the vet visit) in case my Sophie becomes ill in the future.
If you don't know her vaccination history, you can have titer tests done for distemper and parvo to see if she is already fully protected. If so, you can avoid the risks of additional shots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts