Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

What sizes???

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Toby's Mom 
#1 ·
Hey guys...
I went shopping for a few coats for Dash but was unable to buy one b/c I wasn't too sure of the size I should be getting. He'll probably be around 5-6 lbs. and I'm not sure what size I should actually get. They have 8", 10", 12" and 14".

Pls. advise.

Tx

#2 ·
I have found that sizes vary a lot between companies. The best thing to do is measure Dash's length from neck to tail, shoulder to ground, and girth (around waist) and compare it to the particular brand.

If he's not finished growing, it will be hard to guess. How old is he now and how much does he weigh? Double the weight at 12 weeks is supposed to give you the adult size, but there is no guarentee.

#3 ·
I made up a little card (credit card size) that has Lexi's measurements on it. I keep it in my wallet. That way I always have it on me. Measurement are the only sure way of knowing if it will fit or not. Like Ladysmom said every company is different. A small from one company might fit fine, a second company's small might be too small, and a third's small might be too big.

#5 ·
Both my boys go for 8-10 (so far
) When I first got them I had to get the xxsm stuff. But they have grown out of all of those. At the rate Tic is growing I wouldn't be surprised if he fit 12 when he's full grown. The sizes vary a lot depending on the brand. It's supposedly measured by inches, but they aren't really always reliable. Some coats also go by girth (around him behind his front legs) too. It's safer to take all measurements

Oh I forgot, the length is usually the length from back of head (around where the collar would be) to the base of the tail

#7 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 17 2005, 12:47 PM
Here are some instructions from GlamourDog's website: Sizing
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91491
[/QUOTE]

If i do go back to the sample sale, just to be on the safe side, I'll go for a 10"

Small
Weight: 2-4 Lbs.
Chest: 9.5"-11.5"
Back: 8.0"-10.0"

Medium
Weight: 4-7.5 Lbs.
Chest: 11.5"-13.5"
Back: 10.0"-12.0"

#8 ·
Originally posted by Violet's Mom+Aug 17 2005, 12:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Aug 17 2005, 12:47 PM

If i do go back to the sample sale, just to be on the safe side, I'll go for a 10"

Small

Medium
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91496
[/B][/QUOTE]
Maybe this will give you an idea how different everything is sized...
http://pawstigiouspups.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

#9 ·
Originally posted by Kodie+Aug 17 2005, 01:22 PM-->
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Aug 17 2005, 12:57 PM

Small

Medium

[/QUOTE]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91503
[/B][/QUOTE]

i'll just wait to purchase until i get Dash. lol

#10 ·
Originally posted by Violet's Mom+Aug 17 2005, 01:38 PM-->
Originally posted by Kodie@Aug 17 2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Aug 17 2005, 12:57 PM

Small

Medium

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91503
i'll just wait to purchase until i get Dash. lol
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91536
[/B][/QUOTE]
They really do vary by brand. i have an x small for Dixie in too different brands [t shirts] but one is so big I'm not sure she will ever fit into it. definetly not anytime soon. Measure the puppy and compare to the individual garment would be my advise.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 17 2005, 02:53 PM
Just wanted to let you know not to spend too much money on clothes that will fit him when you get him.  They grow so fast that they won't fit him for long.

I know some people have gotten the clothes that are made for teddy bears for their puppies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91545
[/QUOTE]

Thanks you guys.
Just b/c the weather is brutal here, I wanted to get him a jacket and a few sweaters. Just getting ahead of myself LOL

#13 ·
Originally posted by Violet's Mom+Aug 17 2005, 03:16 PM-->
@Aug 17 2005, 02:53 PM
Just wanted to let you know not to spend too much money on clothes that will fit him when you get him.  They grow so fast that they won't fit him for long.

I know some people have gotten the clothes that are made for teddy bears for their puppies.

Thanks you guys.
Just b/c the weather is brutal here, I wanted to get him a jacket and a few sweaters. Just getting ahead of myself LOL
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91564
[/B][/QUOTE]
LOL! Don't worry most of us did that. Before I got Lexi in April 2004 I had bought her over a $100 in clothes. She had outgrown them all by Aug 2004! LOL! Luckily they will probably fit Nikki now and when she is fully grown.
PetCo and PetsMart usually have some really cute (and cheap) winter clothes. They go pretty fast so keep an eye out for them. A lot of times they are on their websites months before they are instores. Sometimes the stores don't even get all of them.

#14 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 17 2005, 04:25 PM-->
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Aug 17 2005, 03:16 PM
@Aug 17 2005, 02:53 PM

Thanks you guys.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91564

[/QUOTE]
LOL! Don't worry most of us did that. Before I got Lexi in April 2004 I had bought her over a $100 in clothes. She had outgrown them all by Aug 2004! LOL! Luckily they will probably fit Nikki now and when she is fully grown.
PetCo and PetsMart usually have some really cute (and cheap) winter clothes. They go pretty fast so keep an eye out for them. A lot of times they are on their websites months before they are instores. Sometimes the stores don't even get all of them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=91568
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I will definately keep that in mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.