Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new question for the week. You did your research and decided you wanted a maltese. After becoming the proud owner of a bouncing baby malt, is there anything about your maltese behaviour or temperment that surprises you?
Two things I didn't expect........
1. I thought he would be difficult to housebreak and I lucked out and was surprised at how easy Bentley was to train. I have always heard how little dogs are harder to train so it was a relief.
2. I read and heard that they are very sweet, loving, gentle and social.
While Bentley is all of the above he is reserved with others and is very much a one person dog. It takes him a long time to want to sit in someone elses lap and if I'm anywhere near they can forget about it. Yes, he's a mama's boy :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm have to admit I didn't do my research although it was back in 1975 that I got our first Maltese. My wife and I were engaged and soon to be married and I knew she wanted a small dog (my family had always had Collies) so I went to the animal shelter and their was this little white face staring at me from his cage. Everything about him said take me home. The only way I knew he was a Maltese was because the sign on his cage said he was a 2 year old, 6lb. Maltese named "Boo". He cost a grand total of $7.00. Anyway, many things surprised me about him, I figured he would be a yippy-snippy little dog and he wasn't. The biggest surprise was probably his social skills. When we were first married we lived in a gated condominium community and Boo would like to go out and visit the neighbors. One morning I was on the phone with my back to the front door (it had a screen door that Boo could get in and out of) and I heard Boo come in and then I heard him come in again and again. I turned around to see what was up and found that he had brought home seven other dogs (everything from an Irish Setter to a Dachsund) and they were all sitting in a semi circle staring at me. I explaimed "Boo what did you do!" and they all took off running out the front door, except for Boo and the Dachsund. Well I guess I'd have to say, if you have never had a Maltese the biggest surprise is going to be what terrific personalities they have. We have had Maltese in our home ever since.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did a lot of research on Maltese and I do have to say, I knew that they could love you like no other and want to be with you every minute. But I was so surprised on how intensely that they love you. They will do anything to be with you. They have such an unconditional love that is so hard to describe and such a desire to be the very best friend they could. I feel so very lucky to have them in my life and can't imagine my life without them! I always say that I am owned by my Maltese! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I didn't think that housebreaking Angel was easy..but training her is. She learns the command so quickly. If I try teaching her something today she will know it by tomorrow. It's pretty incredible. I'm also surprised at how well she listens. I mean, at times she may try to get away with something when there are others around but in general if I say stay she will most likely stay there. We were at dinner, at a friends house, and I wanted her to sit down next to me- so I told her to sit & stay... the whole time she sat there. Our neighbors dog kept trying to get her to go play with her but she wouldn't budge. It was the cutest thing.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
is there anything about your maltese behaviour or temperment that surprises you?[/B]
i was very suprised at how fearless they are and how smart they are, i swear sometimes i feel sampson is this close ----><---- to saying something to me :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So true! they are fearless, smart and devoted to you like know other. As little as Bentley is I can't think or anything he's affraid I have never had a dog as devoted to me as he is.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've grown up my whole life owning animals, everything from cats, turtles and dogs to ducks. This has been the BEST experience I have ever had with an animal. I made jokes about how Morgan was my new baby since my kids are now grown, (my youngest just turned 18...does that constitute grown? lol) But he really is my new baby. It is nice having that unconditional love. No back talk, no nothing. He just loves simply because I am there. Always so intent on pleasing me, funny how sometimes I can look at him and I can see this little smile on his face. He is the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. Never thought I could feel so close or intense about an animal as I do him. That is the one thing that surprised me the very most.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have to second that one Kit001.
My kids aren't quite there yet as far as the kids go(one is 13, one is 16), but they sure don't need me as much. I feel the same way about Tiki as you do about your little one.

You are very good at expressing those feelings, better than I so I will just second yours! :D

Judi

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Ok, so I know this is an ancient thread. But it is worth reviving cuz the original query deserves further responses, especially since membership has grown so exponentially since 2003.
I, too, have been a longtime dog owner (since 1972), but a first time Maltese owner with Pepper now. What surprised me the most is the connection she appears to have with us. I mean, ease of training, wonderful temperament, and spunkiness aside, she seems to operate on the same wavelength as her human family does. Everything from communication to emotions, she mirrors intrinsically....like it's completely natural, not taught, not contrived. Almost all dogs are loyal companions, but these small wonders imprint upon you and become a permanent part of you, not just a temporary addition to your life.
Don't wanna go all ethereal on everybody (oops, too late for that :rolleyes: ), but I cannot even compare Pepper to the others because the bond is different, higher somehow. Can't quite describe it (obviously), but it couldn't be more real if it sat here staring up at me...like the little Malt in my lap. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Ok, so what about you guys? Reach back in your memories and share with the OP what surprised you most about this miracle breed.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
WOW, this a very old thread,but a good one. I guess I was surprised too by how much they love me & want to be with me & how human they seem emotionally & mentally. I was also surprised at how deeply I love them,although I've loved all of my dogs before, I have to admit the love I feel for Boo & Hannah is as close as possible to the love I feel for my skinkids.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
What I have learned about Maltese.........

You can spend alot of money on the dog , grooming, cosmetics and grooming aids, training, toys and equipment......

and they will play for hours with a plastic bottle witha penny in it or a plastic plate.....as if the cost a million dollars !

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I didn't do a research on maltese before owning my first (Snowy) He was given to me as a gift. So there wasn't any knowledge preparation about the breed before he came into my life, so no expectations at all. He was a surprise ! a big one! I was thrilled... But I tell you, it is SNOWY who made me LOVE this breed of dogs. I love EVERYTHING about this little guy, especially, his personality: So outgoing, curious, goofy...etc He reached to a point where he shocked me with his ability to do the unexpected from him - when he jumped into the pool for the first time to *retrieve* the toy!!!!!!!

love him and LOVE my little princess :wub: :wub: I can't imagine my life without them

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I'm surprised that Roxy is even feistier than my late Yorkie... and I love that about her. :wub: :wub: :wub:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
QUOTE (Luvmypupster @ Sep 12 2003, 07:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=563
Here's a new question for the week. You did your research and decided you wanted a maltese. After becoming the proud owner of a bouncing baby malt, is there anything about your maltese behaviour or temperment that surprises you?
Two things I didn't expect........
1. I thought he would be difficult to housebreak and I lucked out and was surprised at how easy Bentley was to train. I have always heard how little dogs are harder to train so it was a relief.
2. I read and heard that they are very sweet, loving, gentle and social.
While Bentley is all of the above he is reserved with others and is very much a one person dog. It takes him a long time to want to sit in someone elses lap and if I'm anywhere near they can forget about it. Yes, he's a mama's boy :D[/B]

I was surprised at how horribly hard Murphy was to toilet train, Milly learned to wait by the door to let us know she needed to go out for a wee within like a week, and Murphy will still wee, (hasnt for a while now...touch wood)inside on occasion.

But like your number 2, Murphy is EXACTLY the same. He can be letting someone else pat him then suddenly he will bark in their face, but once her wams up to them he will sit on their lap or beside them for a cuddle. My sister bought her boyfriend over for 3 weeks from Ireland and just a few days before they left is when Murphy decided he liked Mark ( the boyfriend).

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
QUOTE (JMM @ Oct 24 2009, 04:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=843392
I never cease to be amazed how how fantastically SMART these dogs are and how fantastically easy it is for owners to pass that by and ruin their dogs.[/B]
What's funny is this is exactly what I thought when I read the thread question. :) So, ditto!

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
QUOTE (Maltese Dad @ Sep 12 2003, 01:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=567
I'm have to admit I didn't do my research although it was back in 1975 that I got our first Maltese. My wife and I were engaged and soon to be married and I knew she wanted a small dog (my family had always had Collies) so I went to the animal shelter and their was this little white face staring at me from his cage. Everything about him said take me home. The only way I knew he was a Maltese was because the sign on his cage said he was a 2 year old, 6lb. Maltese named "Boo". He cost a grand total of $7.00. Anyway, many things surprised me about him, I figured he would be a yippy-snippy little dog and he wasn't. The biggest surprise was probably his social skills. When we were first married we lived in a gated condominium community and Boo would like to go out and visit the neighbors. One morning I was on the phone with my back to the front door (it had a screen door that Boo could get in and out of) and I heard Boo come in and then I heard him come in again and again. I turned around to see what was up and found that he had brought home seven other dogs (everything from an Irish Setter to a Dachsund) and they were all sitting in a semi circle staring at me. I explaimed "Boo what did you do!" and they all took off running out the front door, except for Boo and the Dachsund. Well I guess I'd have to say, if you have never had a Maltese the biggest surprise is going to be what terrific personalities they have. We have had Maltese in our home ever since.[/B]
What a cute story!

I knew they were intelligent, but I think they are highly intelligent. Everything I've tried to teach Ollie he's picked up in as little time as a few hours, sometimes.

Also surprised at the range and depth of "emotions" that he has--everything from sensitive to excited.

Overall just a HUGE amount of personality and intelligence.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts