Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ALL!

Petey my daughter's 4 year old Maltese is scheduled to be neutered on Monday. He will remain at the clinic overnight. My question is; what can I expect once he comes home? :mellow:

My 2 baby Malts are also scheduled for pre-ops for their Neutering they are 4 months.:blush:

is it easier on puppies than older dogs? I know my girls slept all day on the day of surgery and when they came home, they slept and did not even whimper. :aktion033:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Hi Barbara - glad that everyone's getting neutered. I think it's a very individual thing with all our fluffs. Usually the neuters and spays aren't that bad. Tyler had a complicated neuter at 9 months and he wasn't in pain but had horrible diarrhea from the anesthesia and stress. He stayed overnight too and I was glad since I think I would have been a wreck and he was well cared for at my vet. I think he slept most of that day. I would suggest getting a onesie for him to wear (cut a hole for the tail) so he doesn't chew at the stitches. The hardest part of the neuter/spay is often that our kids want to run around and play before they're supposed to. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Hi! And Welcome! I have two males and two females. It's so much easier on the boys!!! If they're sleepy, it's from the anesthesia and they'll be back to themselves withing a day or two. I actually never had to bother with anything on my "kids" none of them ever touched their stitches.

I believe it's better to have it done while they're pups - to prevent any bad habits that could begin with un-neutered dogs.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much! my husband looks at them and he says I am cruel. I tell him I do this because I love them and I want them to live a long and healthy life.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Since we are on the subject, what is the youngest a pup can get spayed? Or more importantly, what is the best age to get a pup spayed? My pups are right around three months and I want to have them spayed at the optimal time. I know you want them to be a certain weight and/or age but I know you want to do it ideally before their first heat cycle. So.... what's the magic time?

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I too think neutering is an individual thing.
Kitzel was just neutered 10 days ago today & had a rough time. He would not urinate afterwards for about 4 days---only once in a 24 hr. period because of the pain and then when he did go it was so painful it made him wait again for about 24 hrs. He hated the collar---got it caught 2 times in his mouth (he was between sizes) and it is good I was home as he could have choked himself! I tried the onesie and he made the front so wet that one of the stitches came out! AND HE IS AN EASY DOG! very laid-back by nature. I did have to force liquids on him---he isn't good at drinking any time. I also had to take him back for a pain shot so he would go pee---didn't help much.

Fast-forward 10 days and he is back to himself---playing, peeing, and being cute!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
The time frame for neutering and spaying, in my case with Mia and Leo, was really my vets call. She kept going by age and their teeth and making me stinking nervous :). Mia was approaching 8 months, and I was having my to done at the same time. She was doing it that way, to see if most of the baby teeth would come out on their own. All did go well.

Mia was up and about the next day, walking like a cowgirl, but still up and about.
Leo, bless his soul, he wasn't in any pain, but the knew something was "missing".

Here's a thread I posted about my little guy looking for what I was calling his "jingles". The comments go with the pictures, but the comments appear first.

Here is the thread:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/64-picture-posts/94647-can-somebody-help-my-wittle-brother.html

When my two came home, I boiled boneless chicken breast, and gave them little pieces of it. Just to have something in their belly. And they loved it.

My vet also gave a pain shot to each prior to leaving, and the next day I was to start them on Medacam.

I have had 5 furbabies in my life. 3 Girls and 2 boys and thank heaven no complications.

Each baby is different. Leo is on the more emontional side, but as far as pain for either him or Mia, niether had any afterwards.

But each baby is different.

We all will be praying for your special ones.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I'm so happy that so many of our new members are having their fluffs spayed or neutered.

It really is in their best interest and will ensure that they have a more healthy, longer life.

Neither a spay nor a neuter is a complicated procedure and the fluffs do well. It's us human Moms that are a wreck. LOL

The optimium age for spaying or neutering a puppy is between 4-8 months old. Your Vet will help you decide the right time, but you want to spay before the first heat cycle. It will depend on the weight of your fluff. My Vet prefers to wait until they've reached 3 lbs minimum, but, of course, she's done them at less when necessary. Also, I like to have any retained baby teeth pulled at the same time so that the fluff doesn't have to go under anethesia twice.

Don't forget the onsies. They are a life saver if the fluff tends to bother the stitches.

As others have said, like humans, each fluff reacts differently to anethesia and to surgery. For example, Lacie is very groggy for several days after anethesia and she was a whimp about her spay. Even though she had pain meds, it took her about 5-6 days to be back to somewhat normal. On the other hand, Tilly came home from her spay and immediately wanted to start playing. It was tough to keep her quite after surgery.

Good luck to all of you and let us know the day, so that all of the SM Aunties can send prayers for the little fluffs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"SM Aunties"... I love that. Too cute.

Thanks for the advice and input. I'm nervous about getting them spayed, mainly because it's surgery which always has some risk (although I know it's a safe procedure) and I don't want them to be in pain or anything... :/ I'm a bit away from having to deal with this, though. They are not yet three months and are just over three pounds.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will let you know what the Vet says on Monday regarding the babies. They were born July 14 . Max is almost 4.3 lbs Cappi is 3 lbs. Petey is ready for Monday he is 4 years old and my daughter, should have done this a LONG time ago. I think they tend to forget faster when they are babies.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
"SM Aunties"... I love that. Too cute.

Thanks for the advice and input. I'm nervous about getting them spayed, mainly because it's surgery which always has some risk (although I know it's a safe procedure) and I don't want them to be in pain or anything... :/ I'm a bit away from having to deal with this, though. They are not yet three months and are just over three pounds.
This reminded me of something else. Don't forget to have the Vet send pain meds home with you. :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts