Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I just wanted to prepare myself so I know what to expect...
Is taking care of maltese hair really hard to do? I've been reading that you should'nt brush out (dry) before a bath. Also, I must use alot of conditioner during and in between bathes? Is baby shampoo & conditioner okay? Also, they must be brushed out everyday (w/spray cond.?) I'm just worried that I might noe do it right and my baby might look like a white ball of tangles! Please let me know what to prepare for!
By the way, I might of found a breeder. She has been pretty good replying back to my email. Its Gumwood kennels in TX. Hopefully no one has heard anything bad! Wish me luck that this might be the breeder!!
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i only brush parker maybe twice a month. i use spray conditioner when i do brush him to get out any small matts. he really only gets matts around his collar. i dont think he is high maintenance and he has beautiful...opps :eek: ..i mean HANDSOME..long hair

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

I've been combing Sydney almost everday and that has kept down on tangles/matts. The problem areas I've found are on her legs and her rear. Oh and I recently bought some Crazy Dog Grooming spray at Petsmart that was suggested by another poster and I've had good luck with it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
when parker was a pppy i brushed him everyday so he would get used to it...also when their coat changes around 8month old they shed their puppy coat the matts happen a little more..once he got through that its been easy going

·
Registered
939 Posts
When Tiki is first in his puppy cut I only have to brush him every 3 days. As it gets longer I brush him every day. His coat is rather cottony and will mat easily on his rear and back of his neck. I use a spray as needed.

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i felt like edward scissor hands when i cut sprite and ellies hair. i finally decided to shave them. they were getting knots everyday---it was hurting them for me to brush it out. or i would cut it out and it looked like they were getting little bald spots everywhere. gruffi really likes to lick them...so the hair gets wet and matted. they seem a little happier though. when i cut off all the hair...they looked so tiny and they were running around like crazy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts