Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
she will prob be sore a couple of days..make sure u have pain meds to take home. you will have to watch her incision for redness swelling and oozing. keep her from active play until the stitches come out in 7-10 days.
dont worry

·
Registered
513 Posts
I know all dogs react differently, so I'll tell you what I experienced. When my youngest girl Brie was spayed, she stayed overnight too. I picked her up at 10 am the next morning and she was excited to see me. She walked slowly, and every now & then should would do this little skip I guess because a stitch pulled. She slept in her crate on and off most of the day, but when she was awake she would walk around normally, sit on my lap, etc., she just didn't run around and play hard like she usually does. She didn't lick her incision at all, and by the next day I had to watch & make sure that she didn't jump up on the sofa or play too hard with my other two malts. She didn't seem to have any pain at all, and within a week, she was totally back to normal. The hardest part of the whole thing was trying to keep Brie from tearing around the house until her stitches came out

Try not to worry, I'm sure ZsaZsa will be fine. She will probably be quite sleepy tomorrow. Your vet will probably have given her something for the pain, or maybe will send something home with you (my vet gave Brie a shot for pain the morning she came home which she said would last until late afternoon.)

Let us know how she is doing when she gets home.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I had Sassy and Sadie spayed the same day. They had completely different reactions. Sassy was fine. Never seemed slow (after the first night), never whimpered. Poor little Sadie slunk around the house and looked pitiful for nearly a week. I even took her in so the vet could check her because she was acting so different than Sassy. Point of the story - each dog is different. Don't freak out and hope for the best! At least you've gotten the worst part out of the way!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Oct 25 2005, 06:37 PM
she will prob be sore a couple of days..make sure u have pain meds to take home.  you will have to watch her incision for redness swelling and oozing.  keep her from active play until the stitches come out in 7-10 days.
  dont worry
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113447
[/QUOTE]

Just 7-10 days? My vets making us wait 14, maybe she's just being overly cautious. Is 7-10 the norm?

zsazsa's mom- I agree it totally depends on the dog. Bella kind of laid around for a few days after her spay, but Harley is a different story, I am struggling to keep her still, she has no idea she has had surgery, and I swear she thought her pain medication was just a treat. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+Oct 26 2005, 03:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
@Oct 25 2005, 06:37 PM
she will prob be sore a couple of days..make sure u have pain meds to take home.  you will have to watch her incision for redness swelling and oozing.  keep her from active play until the stitches come out in 7-10 days.
  dont worry
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113447
Just 7-10 days? My vets making us wait 14, maybe she's just being overly cautious. Is 7-10 the norm?

zsazsa's mom- I agree it totally depends on the dog. Bella kind of laid around for a few days after her spay, but Harley is a different story, I am struggling to keep her still, she has no idea she has had surgery, and I swear she thought her pain medication was just a treat. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113712
[/B][/QUOTE]

If you opted for laser surgery, the stitches stay in 14 days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.