Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a small Kong and I placed inside it the Kong small dog biscuits and my malt igored it.

Do you have any suggestions for something to put in the Kong that she might like. She loves meat and Royal Canin and Fish for dogs treats. She also likes some dried dog meat treats.

As for the pet chews etc she just ignore them and she does not seem to like any carbohydrate based dog treats.

I sometimes give her a carrot or green bean to chew on and she likes those.

Do you have any suggestions for Kong treats or other treats for fussy eaters that only seem to like meat.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,444 Posts
I put 2-3 small treats in the small end of the kong then fill it with soft food and freeze it. It lasts longer that way and isn't clogged at the small end, bec he never gets that food out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried the Kong with peanut butter, she likes it but leaves it once the easily bits have been licked off.

She loves her fish sticks so I will continue with those.

She also likes Beef Jerky but I dont give her it very often as I am not sure how healthy it is ?? what do you guys think?

I bought some Greenies treats for cleaning teeth and she ignores them also.

She is a bit of a fuss pot which can be frustrating......... but I love her all the same haha :wub:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
It may be a blessing that she ignored the greenies. I've heard some bad stories about them not digesting and causing blockage...I"m not sure if this is still true, but better safe than sorry.

Have you tried "Flossies"..they're spiraled beef 'tendons' or maybe the bully sticks? My dog is not a chewer and usually ignores most chew things but goes crazy about the Flossies. She likes the bully sticks too.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
In her Kong, you can also try using green beans layered with canned food or peanut butter or something else soft.

I found that using the larger sized Kongs makes them more interested in it because it's easier to get food out...maybe you could try a larger Kong?

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
You might want to try this...
Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude Dog Toys

It is like the Kong, but the opening is covered with little "prongs" (for lack of a much better word). You can stuff kibble in there and it makes it really hard to get out so they end up playing with it much longer.

Also, if you find they are having a super hard time getting the treats out, you can trim the prongs a bit--they are made out of a semi-hard plastic.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I put some organic peanut butter in a bowl and then nuke it to make it real soft. I then mix in some honey.

I then stuff the kong with layers of the peanut butter/honey mixture with layers of kibble in between. Then put it in the freezer.

I found with Poppy that once he got about half-way down he would stop. But, at that point, the mixture is soft, and I just push in the sides of the kong, loosening up what's inside and he goes back to it.

HUGz! Jules

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.