Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what to buy for my girl when she goes into heat for the first time. Do you use sanitary napkins? Are there cute pants that you put on them?
I've never owned a little girl before only a little boy, and I would appreciate any advise you could give me.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Is there a reason why you wouldn't have your girl spayed before her first heat (ie: are you showing her)? If you aren't planning on showing her, it is best to have her spayed before her first heat.

That being said, if she does go into heat, there are little female dog diapers you can put on her, but it is not necessary for her to wear anything unless there are intact males around.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Is there a reason why you wouldn't have your girl spayed before her first heat (ie: are you showing her)? If you aren't planning on showing her, it is best to have her spayed before her first heat.
:thumbsup: Did you know that by spaying her before she ever has a heat cycle you will eliminate her chance of ever getting mammary cancer when she gets older? If you wait until after her first heat cycle, her risk of cancer rises to 8%. If you don't have her spayed until after she has her second heat cycle, her cancer risk jumps to 25%.

·
Registered
373 Posts
:thumbsup: Did you know that by spaying her before she ever has a heat cycle you will eliminate her chance of ever getting mammary cancer when she gets older? If you wait until after her first heat cycle, her risk of cancer rises to 8%. If you don't have her spayed until after she has her second heat cycle, her cancer risk jumps to 25%.

:goodpost:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
some yorkie show breeders I know use satin-lined diapers sometimes on their girls in heat. You just really have to be careful to make sure you don't damage the coat by putting something on them if you're showing...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you have a link for this information? I would love to read up more on it and add some info to my site.

Thanks!

·
Registered
707 Posts
My Bitsy (6 mos) just recently went into heat. She was scheduled for her spayed at the end of this month but now we've had to move it to June because of it. We haven't had to to use anything.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
If your girl's in full coat, a doggie diaper will mat her up.....if not (in short coif), then get her some fancy pants if you fear damage to your furniture or carpets. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts