Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for you. We have a Jeep and a truck. Here is the problem. Lots of times we go places in the truck. There is NO back seat.
Hubby drives and I am in the passenger seat. The truck does not have a long seat that goes across. It only has 2 seats.

I don't know what to do with Tucker. There is little room. Does this mean I have to stay home when my Hubby and Tucker go out? HELP !!!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
When we were in Maui we saw this all the time. They put the puppies in the back of the truck. I don't know why or how they do this. There are so many hills and stuff. I would never do it. I also saw someone do that here in canada as well. I mean arn't they afraid they would jump out or something.

Can't you take the Jeep when you go out. It is very convient and lot of room for you and puppy. Not to mention it will be way safer for you and puppy too.
Or depending on your truck, you can get that back cover option, I'm sure it's not cheap. Not the platic type the real cover. Then you can put puppy in his creat with a set belt in the back to secure him.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Gee that is a hard one.
I think I saw something about a console seat here the other day, do you have a console between the front seats where you could us that?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We tired to get a small crate behind the seat but it won't fit. Console is small. What I have been doing is putting him in a soft crate behind the seat but I don't feel good about that.

Today we had a 1 1/2 trip and I held him the whole way. I know it's not safe but I felt better about that than in the soft crate. Not only that he gets a little car sick around all the hills and mts. He wants ME to hold him.

I will find something but so far I haven't found a thing. Sometimes he have to take the truck and can't take the jeep. For the record I would never put a dog in the back bed of a truck.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
You think 1-½ hour trip is a long time with your puppy on your lap ?
What do you think about this one : My 8 years old puppy Alex (5.8 lbs) is on my lap all the way from Houston to Phoenix. Talk about a long time (over 10 hours the 1st day, and something like 7 hours the second day). And mind you, he has a booster seat on the back seat of the car. But NOOOOO, he wants to stay glued on mommy. We tried to make him stay on the console on a cushion. Not good enough. Not close enough to mommy. Now I have a tempurpedic pillow on my lap to put him on (kingsize)it and tho he wants to rest on my arm or shoulder a lot of times.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm a big believer in seat belts. Sir N is not and after listening to him voice his protests through the entire panhandle of Texas and a good half of Oklahoma, I gave up. I continued to use his seat belt harness, but rather than strapping him into the seat next to me, I strapped him onto my lap and we shared a seat belt. He lay quietly in my lap for the remainder of the trip and we used the same method on the way back and peace abounded.

He had the type of harness that this worked. When we stopped abruptly (as we had to several times, my seat belt kept me from flying forward and at the same time, kept him on my lap. This would not work if you like to drive with the steering wheel right in your lap.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by NC's Mom@Aug 25 2005, 12:23 AM
I'm a big believer in seat belts.  Sir N is not and after listening to him voice his protests through the entire panhandle of Texas and a good half of Oklahoma, I gave up.  I continued to use his seat belt harness, but rather than strapping him into the seat next to me, I strapped him onto my lap and we shared a seat belt.  He lay quietly in my lap for the remainder of the trip and we used the same method on the way back and peace abounded. 

He had the type of harness that this worked.  When we stopped abruptly (as we had to several times, my seat belt kept me from flying forward and at the same time, kept him on my lap.  This would not work if you like to drive with the steering wheel right in your lap.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93873
[/QUOTE]

I thought about that too. Usually my DH drives. Coming back yesterday from a day trip I remembered the backpack and how it attaches. I am going to look for a clip so I can do like you do to attach your dog. As far as driving with your pup on your lap, a girl I work with just got a HUGE ticket and was fined a lot for having a dog in her lap and driving. A cop had pullud up beside her and looked into her car and saw the dog.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by ConnieVa@Aug 24 2005, 09:47 PM
We tired to get a small crate behind the seat but it won't fit.  Console is small.  What I have been doing is putting him in a soft crate behind the seat but I don't feel good about that. 

Today we had a 1 1/2 trip and I held him the whole way.  I know it's not safe but I felt better about that than in the soft crate.  Not only that he gets a little car sick around all the hills and mts.  He wants ME to hold him. 

I will find something but so far I haven't found a thing.  Sometimes he have to take the truck and can't take the jeep.  For the record I would never put a dog in the back bed of a truck.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93836
[/QUOTE]
How big is your puppy Chelsey is 7 pounds now with lots of plump. We use a small cate size crate for her.. it just gig enough for her to turn around in . So you get the idea of how small it is ... we got a clip on bowl to put food and water in. I just measured it. It is 17 inches long and 8 inches wide. Reason I'm asking is before we had a small create for Chester but it was a small dog crate and it was still biger then the won we had to get for Chelsey. Maybe you can measure the space you have in the truck and then try to find a cat crate for your puppy that may fit in that spot.
p.s I was not and would never say to put your puppy unsecured in the back. I think the way I wrote it confused you. What I meant was, they have these trucks and I don't know if your has this option where there is a cover it makes it look like a mini van convertible. Mind you know it is not cheep. but it is like having a passenger setting in the back of the truck. A girl at my work place has one. Then you can secure your puppy in the back. To the seat belt. It give you extra seating. It really depends on the model and year of your pickup. It is the new thing for trucks... or it turned in to a normal pickup with a flip of the button then you flap down the seats. I don't know if that make sense.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
What would happen if the airbag deployed with your dog in your lap? Would it come into contact with him? I ride sometimes with Pico in my lap, too and have often thought about that. Most of the time he is in his high-rise seat in the back where his harness is clipped by a strap to the seatbelt so he can sightsee or nap safely.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have thought about that Pamela. I don't drive with Alex in my lap. He is doing fine in his back seat if he is alone with me in the car. It's when husband is around he makes a fuss and drives himself nuts to the point of vomiting. When I am in the passenger seat I put the seat back as much as it will go in order to be safer from the airbag. Next December, if we are not loaded through the roof, I will try to sit in the back with him. Don't know how I will fare tho. I have a tendency to get car sick. I am doing ok in the front as long as it's not mountain driving with lots of curves.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
God forbid if there were an accident, the air bag would surely crush our babies if they were in our laps....

Connie, can you put him in a crate of some sort on the floorboard? One time I was traveling in the passenger seat and my first Maltese, Rosebud, had a fit when I tried to put her in the back seat. So I kept her in front on the floor in a crate and she was just fine because she was still very close to me. My feet and legs were sort of cramped but that was OK!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My girls ride around town in their Juicy bags on the floor board of the back seat. When we go to Jackson they ride in their crates, seatbelted on the back seat. A few times this HOT summer, I've driven the 3 miles to my parent's house and let them ride in the backseat without being in a bag or crate. It is just too darn hot, even with A/C. I'd be worried about the airbags, too. Lots of cars have a button to disengage the airbag. Not so good for you, but better for the pup.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our pickup is small. The back (seat) area has no seat. I can't get a crate in the back because the front seat only goes up just so far. I will have to look farther for a itsy bitsy tenny tiny crate. As far as the floorboard in front of me, it's very small too. If I did find a small crate to fit there it would mean my knees are under my chin.

As far as the back seat goes you can get things back there but a HARD crate would go between the back of the front seat and the opening of the door.

THe back of the truck behind the cab is covered but I would never put a dog back there unless I could find a way to tie it down. I just don't like the idea of having a baby where I can't hear or see him.

Besides he gets car sick sometimes and I wouldn't be there for him. Even if I did find a tiny crate he would be IN his throwup.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Aug 26 2005, 12:40 AM
When we go to Jackson they ride in their crates, seatbelted on the back seat. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94142
[/QUOTE]
I have been trying to figure out how to attach the crate to the seat. I would prefer not to use the seat belt because the girls would chew on it. My car has those anchors for child seats. I could try some of the Carabiner keychains. That should be easy to get on and off and not too expensive.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Connie

This is not the most safe way to travel but I find it safer than not having anything.

When there are more people in my car than I can fit and still have Teddy with his Car seat...I purchased this harness (I also use this in his car seat) which I am able to attach like NCs mom said to my seat belt. I know that this is against every rule...but it is the best at some instances. I got the extra small size (even smaller than the one shown) and then have to put a band around the shoulders so he does not slip out. He is only 6.5 lbs so if yours is even smaller you may need to look for a smaller version.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1125065716475

Now, for airbags...I truly beleive that if the air bag went off that our little ones will will be in deep trouble no matter where they are in the car, and I say that as a person who has had lung problems since having a collision where the airbag went off. The talc that is in the air bag literally gets in the lungs and stays there causing sever ashma in humans...with our little ones having no room for this talc in the lungs it would be extremely harmful. The airbag talc goes throughout the car in a matter of a second so there is no way to protect them even in the back seat. I personally have been sick since the accident 5 years ago, so I don't know what would happen to a little one.

This is one of those times when we say do we stop our little ones from the joy of going with us and pray for the best or stop them from going all together. It is a personal choice.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Aug 26 2005, 10:43 AM
Connie

This is not the most safe way to travel but I find it safer than not having anything.

When there are more people in my car than I can fit and still have Teddy with his Car seat...I purchased this harness (I also use this in his car seat) which I am able to attach like NCs mom said to my  seat belt.  I know that this is against every rule...but it is the best at some instances.  I got the extra small size (even smaller than the one shown) and then have to put a band around the shoulders so he does not slip out.  He is only 6.5 lbs so if yours is even smaller you may need to look for a smaller version.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1125065716475

Now, for airbags...I truly beleive that if the air bag went off that our little ones will will be in deep trouble no matter where they are in the car, and I say that as a person who has had lung problems since having a collision where the airbag went off.  The talc that is in the air bag literally gets in the lungs and stays there causing sever ashma in humans...with our little ones having no room for this talc in the lungs  it would be extremely harmful.  The airbag talc goes throughout the car in a matter of a second so there is no way to protect them even in the back seat.  I personally have been sick since the accident 5 years ago, so I don't know what would happen to a little one. 

This is one of those times when we say do we stop our little ones from the joy of going with us and pray for the best or stop them from going all together.  It is a personal choice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94179
[/QUOTE]

Gosh, that is awful to hear about the talc... I had no idea.... It would be great, then, if when the airbag went off that all windows would open automatically!! That would help get the fumes out of the car.

Thank you so much for that valuable info!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I am not sure if the force of the accident blew off the moon roof in my car or if the force of the airbag did...but it blew. The windows stayed up. I had a Lincoln Town Car and a dear decided to jumb into the road...I never saw it and only after the accident did I realize that I had hit a dear.

What I learned about airbags was amazing though...and I truly beleive that they are dangerous to have in the car...I now have an auto-immune disease which I attribute to the airbag and what it did to my lungs.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@Aug 26 2005, 12:02 PM
I am not sure if the force of the accident blew off the moon roof in my car or if the force of the airbag did...but it blew.  The windows stayed up.  I had a Lincoln Town Car and a dear decided to jumb into the road...I never saw it and only after the accident did I realize that I had hit a dear. 

What I learned about airbags was amazing though...and I truly beleive that they are dangerous to have in the car...I now have an auto-immune disease which I attribute to the airbag and what it did to my lungs.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94221
[/QUOTE]

OMG!! That is awful.... Yes, I've heard of deer jumping out of front of cars before you even know what happened. Why in the world couldn't they have made the airbags filled with something that wasn't so toxic... gee whiz.....

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Wow. I didn't know that about the talc. I guess there are pros and cons to the airbags. Years ago when my husband was in his residency he did about 6 months on a trauma rotation at a level one trauma center. At that time air bags were not mandatory. Nearly every doctor had switched to driving cars with airbags after having seen how many lives were saved. Wonder if they still feel that way?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Aug 24 2005, 07:27 PM
You think 1-½ hour trip is a long time with your puppy on your lap ?
What do you think about this one : My 8 years old puppy Alex (5.8 lbs) is on my lap all the way from Houston to Phoenix. Talk about a long time (over 10 hours the 1st day, and something like 7 hours the second day). And mind you, he has a booster seat on the back seat of the car. But NOOOOO, he wants to stay glued on mommy. We tried to make him stay on the console on a cushion. Not good enough. Not close enough to mommy. Now I have a tempurpedic pillow on my lap to put him on (kingsize)it and tho he wants to rest on my arm or shoulder a lot of times. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93855
[/QUOTE]

You think that's long??? We faced the same problem when driving from Nashville ---> Los Angeles (one long, long trip 5 or 6 days of driving). Even though the back seat was cool, comfortable and soft, Miko had to be on our lap (whoever wasn't driving). Lets just say it was a really long trip. This time around, I opted to fly and to not have the car for 3 months in hot Nashville just to avoid another long round trip like that!!!! :new_Eyecrazy:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts