Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
:eek: Geez! I REFUSE to believe that.....

But then again, there are a lot of Maltese in rescue. I'm wondering if people just SAY they're aggressive because they just didn't want to keep up with the maintenance of their dog...? It makes the surrenderer not look so bad...ya know? What would look better: "Yes, I can't keep this dog, he's aggressive and barks too much." or "Hi, I need to dump my dog because I'm neglective and I don't feel like taking care of him."?

However I do agree with the Australian Cattle Dog assessment. My aunt has one, and it's not the most.....uhm.....pleasing dog I've ever met (he bites, barks this high pitched whale noise and he refuses to listen after countless training sessions).

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
WOW
It wouldcertainly be interesting to know if there are statistics available in the US by breed and how they list out. It would also be interesting to see the acutual numbers of the samples used.....how many dogs in the "study" how many "sites" in the study. There are so many different things that can effect the results of a study, such as geographic location. How sad if this were accurate

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh yes the fabled Burke and his big head know it all attitude. I have to agree with what Scrappy has said, I too searched high and low to find a small dog before I bought my first little Malt x Shih Tzu from a breeder.
I never ever saw a Maltese in a rescue or any dog pound in Adelaide and upon enquiring was told "Oh they never come in because they are just so popular and are very rarely surrendered if ever.
I don't know where Burke did his study but I have to say he was known for his self opinionated reports and also I did read somewhere that he was the hardest person to work with too.
I would take that report for what it is worth, just another one of Burke's profoundly over egotistical know it all stories that he used to attempt to get higher TV ratings for the series that did in fact get axed.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I guess the maltese is the "killer rabbit" of Australia...what's it gonna do, bite me bum?

Hey, I'd rather be bitten by a malt than by a sheepdog!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it is true, then its only because they are bought more than anyother dog and people dont know how to take care of them so they cowardly give them up by lieing about it.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Scrappy+Nov 19 2005, 12:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RexsMom
@Nov 19 2005, 03:36 PM
I can't believe it either!  I would say the Maltese has to be the most loved, most spoiled, best friend anyone could have!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121108
Exactly, I agree with you.
The Maltese owners that Burke had on the show where ppl who shouldn't own any breed of dog let alone a Maltese. It showed ugly dog owners who just happened to have a Maltese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121128
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think you hit the nail on the head there Bren. Naturally if someone owns a dog and chooses to leave him in the back yard to fend for himself he is going to become anti-social and aggressive because he simply doesn't know how to react to people.
I have raised 2 dobermans and a rottie, both breeds are up there with the vicious dog ratings, but let me tell you I could trust all my dogs to be reliable and totally trustworthy no matter who came to my house.
It is all in the way they are raised and loved. Any breed of dog can have a bad disposition if not properly treated and trained and most of all loved.
I will say this though, if anyone ever threatened me in any way all of those dogs would have reacted to protect both myself and my kids, and that is something that comes naturally with our beloved pets.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by Scoobydoo+Nov 19 2005, 10:52 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 12:08 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-RexsMom
@Nov 19 2005, 03:36 PM
I can't believe it either!  I would say the Maltese has to be the most loved, most spoiled, best friend anyone could have!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121108

Exactly, I agree with you.
The Maltese owners that Burke had on the show where ppl who shouldn't own any breed of dog let alone a Maltese. It showed ugly dog owners who just happened to have a Maltese.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121128

[/QUOTE]

I think you hit the nail on the head there Bren. Naturally if someone owns a dog and chooses to leave him in the back yard to fend for himself he is going to become anti-social and aggressive because he simply doesn't know how to react to people.
I have raised 2 dobermans and a rottie, both breeds are up there with the vicious dog ratings, but let me tell you I could trust all my dogs to be reliable and totally trustworthy no matter who came to my house.
It is all in the way they are raised and loved. Any breed of dog can have a bad disposition if not properly treated and trained and most of all loved.
I will say this though, if anyone ever threatened me in any way all of those dogs would have reacted to protect both myself and my kids, and that is something that comes naturally with our beloved pets.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121180
[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree, unsocialized. Who can blame the little thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.