Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i've seen them advertised in the back of dog magazines. but i have no idea how they generated. they sure look cute.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
well i have never heard of them but here is alist of breeders with pics...weird how they shave the heads

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The Mi-Ki's share common ancestors with the Papillon, Maltese and Japanese Chin, and first appeared in the U.S. in the 1980's.

MomtwoMaltmuffins was close!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The breed standards are interesting to read. The pups look cute, but remind me somehow of a rodent (I happen to like rodents
).

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I love the temperment.:

They possess a high degree of intelligence, making them top candidates for the obedience ring. They love to be around people, and readily accept strangers. The Mi-Ki have a very even temperament, which makes them an ideal therapy dog. The Mi-Ki love kids. Most of the kids who have Mi-Ki's carry their Mi-Ki around, instead of a Teddy Bear.

They are so cute... I was showing my husband and he was like stop looking ... our home isn't big enough for an other puppy.
Soooo cute and sweet.
Gotta win the lottery.... :lol:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've been looking at pictures and they all look so different to me.. theres some with longer faces and some with shorter, ears down and ears up. I dunno, if it's a new breed maybe it hasn't been perfected yet. But it kinda seems like a bunch of mutts with a fancy name

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by puppylucy@Mar 10 2005, 09:33 AM
I've been looking at pictures and they all look so different to me.. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41763
[/QUOTE]

ME TOO! That's what I was going to say... some are cute to me, but some are

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We came across this breed when we were researching what type of dog would be best for our family. Their history is somewhat jaded here in the US as the breeders are constantly in a battle over what is vs. what isn't. We visited a breeder, and these are very nice little dogs, but I prefered the maltese.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Originally posted by Carol Ann@Mar 9 2005, 09:25 PM
The breed standards are interesting to read. The pups look cute, but remind me somehow of a rodent (I happen to like rodents 
).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41638
[/QUOTE]

How can you have a "breed standard" when it is just a mix of a bunch of different dogs? I don't understand that...
Is this now a "recognized breed" by the AKA or another case of someone "crossbreeding/inbreeding" for another "sale"? I do get confused with all of this.....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma+Mar 10 2005, 11:43 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Carol Ann
@Mar 9 2005, 09:25 PM
).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41638
How can you have a "breed standard" when it is just a mix of a bunch of different dogs? I don't understand that...
Is this now a "recognized breed" by the AKA or another case of someone "crossbreeding/inbreeding" for another "sale"? I do get confused with all of this.....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41802
[/B][/QUOTE]
The Mi-Ki does have breed standard, a national club and I believe is shown in Europe. The AKC does not yet recognize them. I think though the national club is working toward that goal. This is a case where several breeders have developed a new line, as opposed to the single mixing of two breeds or "designer" breeding. They have been working on this since the 1980's. From what we were told, there was some sort of fued between the breeders that resulted in a break apart of the national club. But now things have been resolved and the breed standard has been written. The AKC has certain requirements to become recognized, and I don't know where this breed is in that process. I do know that it is similar to what the Havanese breeders went through in the 1990's to get that breed recognized. Also, I have heard that Coton du Tulear (I'm not sure if I've spelled it correctly) is in that process as well.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Mar 10 2005, 11:55 AM
[  I do know that it is similar to what the Havanese breeders went through in the 1990's to get that breed recognized.  Also, I have heard that Coton du Tulear (I'm not sure if I've spelled it correctly) is in that process as well.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41809
[/QUOTE]

Where does the Havanese come from?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts