Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many times are your fluffs eating ?

how much ?

and how many treats or how many times should i say , do u give treats ??

now that dolce is 1 yr old i have decided to stop the free feeding .. So when i wake up i feed and then before i leave to work i put away , when the girls come home they usually feed again... my question is do i feed him dinner later , or is it ok just twice a day ?

and how many treats or how often should i provide?

should i be supplementing his diet with something else ?

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Hubby's making Chicken Piccata :chili: Oh-- for our malts. :blush::brownbag:
Liza, I feed Tyler twice a day (early or mid morning and then early evening) and treats maybe two or three times a day as rewards. Small pieces of Kona Chicken Jerky. If you're feeding Dolce dog food then he should have all he needs.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol !

Yes Dolce eats Wellness supermix5 for puppies but will be changing to small breeds adult , and im also planning on going to a holistic pet store to see if i get some of the dehydrated foods.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I feed adults twice a day. Amount depends on the dog's weight and activity level. For example Soda has been ill and lost a lot of weight, he is being fed much more than his normal 1/4 cup twice a day.
I usually use their food as treats and give as needed for rewards during the day or a training session. So when I took Roo to agility class, his baggie of goodies had his kibble and some stella and chewies. He gets his food for the treat. It is important not to overdo the calories with treats. Set aside a few kibbles to use or reduce the amount fed if you use a lot of treats that day.
I like feeding meals because I know exactly how much each dog is eating. Not such an issue for a single dog, but I find it easier to spot an illness if I know about the appetite.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I don't believe in free feeding for two reasons: Either it will make them picky, or make them fat. My girls get a little less than 1/4 cup per meal and I measure the food to make sure they don't get too much. I base the amount on weight and activity level. They eat twice a day. My Lily gets a little more than Rose even though she is smaller. Rose is more of a "couch potato". Regular treats are given once or twice a day(bananas, apples, strawberries, chicken, or crackers) I use plain Cheerios for training. I do use NuVet Plus which is an herbal supplement to strengthen the immune system. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess I'm out of the norm here!

I free-fed Adele but mainly because I think her foster mother and previous owner did it... I've tried the whole meals thing and it never works out. I mix her food around 10AM and she eats a few bites here and there till its empty at 9.

I give her 1/2 cup of Taste of the Wild mixed with a 1/4 cup of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.

I would say I give her about 2-3 treats a day.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Kodi eats in the morning then in the evening. She may get a treat during the day; I've been trying to stick with fruit or veggies as the treat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts