Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lazy today, been watching TV and spending time on the computer, just one of those days, I was watching a travel show about deep fried foods, and it brought back some wonderful memories of traveling in the 5th wheel, I remember having my first fried green tomatoes in Johnson City Texas, they were sooooo good. I had never heard of them before the show Fried Green Tomato's, later in the year we were in New Orlenas and I had Alligator:w00t:, my first time eating grits (yummy) and my favorite Jumbalia at a Plantation restraurant. In Mississippi I had my first hush puppies, sweet potato pie:wub: and hand rubbed ribs. I ate craw fish well one bite lol, so many different kinds of foods, In Florida I had key lime pie. So I was thinking we are all from different states and countries, what is a food from your state that you would want me to try if I were traveling your way. I can dream of going to other countries, what would you have me try in your country?Who knows one day we just might be back on the road fulltime again.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
You've already talked about my current states. I guess my home state would be fried chicken because of Colonel Sanders. LOL! I'll be interested in what everyone says.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
In Florida? Snowbirds of course!!!!

Well, oranges, or maybe sugarcane. In my area, nothing beats a Greek salad from Tarpon Springs.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
clam chowdah, lobstah and baked beans, of course! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Well for Hawaii it would be poi and poki...I don't like either. :w00t:However I do make a good pineapple martini:HistericalSmiley:Come to Hawaii my friend I'll make you one.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
Well i'm orginally from Balimore so it would be steamed crabs, crab soup and softshell crab sandwhiches. yummy!!! Well you already tried the food for Florida.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm originally from southeastern NC (a barrier island actually)- on the NC/SC line, so in that area it would be all sorts of fried seafood (especially Calabash seafood!! It's the best!!- if you're southern and grew up on it. lol), hush puppies, bbq, fried okra, coconut cake, banana pudding and some sweet tea! (but maybe not all at once...or maybe I'm just naming all the things I miss)

But here in Shanghai, it's famous for 'Xiao Long Bao' or "Baozi"-it's a type of soup dumpling. I love them too much and just had a bunch for lunch yesterday! YUM!

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
Where I am living at the moment, dates represent the area.

Dates that come from the desert palm tree; contains a good amount of iron for the body. only 3 dates in the morning gives the body good amount of energy.

There are certain dishes that are prepared from dates. I just need to get the correct English spelling for them :blush: But i know that there are quite a few of the dishes (I am not good with their names though).

Dates are one type of food that I gotta remind myself to have every now and then :p

I almost forgot the sea food. Fish from the sea water. In fact, people used to live mainly on dates and fish in this area long time ago. Again, there are certain breed of fish (from the salty sea) that are known in the area. and I agian, I am not good with remembering their names.

When we talk food, I am not an expert lol

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
Deep dish pizza, Chicago style hot dogs, and Italian beef.

Chicago is probably one of the least healthy cities. :blush:
And for those of us who originally hail from "downstate," there is sweet corn! We can't forget about Hoopston IL which calls itself the sweet corn capital of the world!:w00t:

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Oh, sweet corn! Nothing beats the first dinner with sweat corn in the summer. Besides corn, Iowa is known for pork tenderloins (yum!) and loose meat sandwiches (I don't like these.)

I will say that we have some of the best beef I have ever tasted here, too. I grew up in Fla and NC and never knew the beef in Iowa would be so good.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Well for Hawaii it would be poi and poki...I don't like either. :w00t:However I do make a good pineapple martini:HistericalSmiley:Come to Hawaii my friend I'll make you one.

Hey, chicklett! I'll trade my peach schnapps smoothie recipie for your pineapple martini recipie. My neighbors have an annual drink contest at New Years and I won a couple of years ago with the smoothies, so it is definately a good one.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Codfish mainly but also other seafood, lobster, crab, halibut. Old fashioned traditional meals would be fish (salt cod) and brewis; and boiled vegetables cabbage, carrot, turnip, potatoes, with salted beef, and with a roast of pork, beef or chicken, pease pudding or a boiled or steamed pudding.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
New Jersey is the largest fresh market supplier of blueberries in the United States and it's the 3rd largest cranberry producer in the United States. It's also a major supplier of fresh market tomatoes and we grow some pretty good sweet corn, too.

When people think of New Jersey, they usually think of the Northern corridor loaded with factories that leads to NYC, but most of NJ is actually suburban and a good part of the state is made up of farms, beach areas, and rural areas.

So... if you came to NJ in October, you could visit the cranberry festival and try all the jellies, jams, and cobblers made with cranberries. If you come during the summer, you can visit our beautiful beaches and try our blueberries, corn, and tomatoes. And, of course, since we are a coastal state, we have some great seafood year round.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I've been in North Carolina for 15 years now so I guess it's my home state now. BBQ (big argument here over which is best, Eastern or Western BBQ) and banana pudding are the staples along with grits. Got to have everything with sweet tea, too!

What really surprised me when I moved here is that macaroni and cheese and potato salad are considered traditional Thanksgiving foods. They are served right along with sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, stuffing, etc.

No wonder I have gained weight since I moved here!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Potatoes of course. I live in Idaho. The best potato dishes are at the county fairs around here. They take a whole russet potato and put it through this machine that shaves into one continuous french fry. So the whole thing is one big long fry. They also make "Tortatoes" Which is very similar. Like mushing the word potato and Tornado together.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I live in Northern Idaho, Huckleberry's would be what represents the area I live in, we have jams, pie's, ice cream, all sorts of yummy deserts with huckleberry's. Also potato's and lake trout and vension (deer meat)

Yuma is known for lettuce, medjool dates,(Yummy), citrus, and Mexican foods, not sure about the rest of AZ

1 - 20 of 34 Posts