Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Both my dogs came from litters of 4. Peanut and 1 girl were the only survivors of their litter. I don't know anything else about litter size.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Snuggles07-

If I may ask you, what happend? I personally think that a litter of 5-7 for a Maltese (small dog) is a bit unusual. Is this your first time breeding? Were you careful in selecting the possible dog/bitch combinations?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Last year my breeder had a bitch that had a litter of 5...4 boys and 1 girl. The sire was one of her champions. I agree that the litter is a little larger than the norm...but definitely not unheard of.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi was the only one in her litter.

The breeder I'm thinking of getting my second puppy from has 2 litters due soon. She thinks the first has 3-4 and the second 1, maybe 2.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Before i got Sunny when i was looking at differnt litters one i looked at had like 9 puppies in it i think
and they wernt like big maltese either i saw the parents, one of the reasons i didnt get of those the parents were just so badly behaved i was worried it would be a trate passed on to my puppy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Apr 14 2005, 10:24 PM
Hi Snuggles07-

If I may ask you, what happend?  I personally think that a litter of 5-7 for a Maltese (small dog) is a bit unusual.  Is this your first time breeding?  Were you careful in selecting the possible dog/bitch combinations?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=52848
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is her second litter last was 3 same male i have them both she ended up having a total of 6 1 stillborn the puppies seem to be doing well.she is 6 ponds the male is 4 lbs pedigree maltese it amazes me i had never heard of it thanks for your replys snuggles07

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
hey sorry i know this is an old topic but i have a question..my puppy (that i dont have yet) is from a litter of 2 but then one died, so since she is the only one feeding from the mother does this mean that she is going to grow up to be bigger than she would have been if there were more puppies? or is size purely genetic? thanks! lori

1 - 20 of 34 Posts